Bad rap

nigg35

Reaction score
Could you tell me why the RMK 900 gets such a bad review. Seem to be able to pick one up cheap enough. Looking to buy 05-06 sled not sure witch way to go.

Last edited by a moderator:

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
"bigfoot" Can Probably Answer This, But From Experience And From What I've Read, They Had Engine Problems(melting Pistons)with Extreme Elevation Change, And Overheating Issues, And Severe Engine Vibration Issues.... I Like The Looks Of Them, And Thought They Were Gonna Bring Out The Proper Motor Mounts And Motor Plate To Continue Them.........

fnDan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm one of the lucky ones. I have an 05 900 with about 2000 miles on it and have never had any belt issues. For me the vibration is only really bad when you're feet are right into the footwells. This is only when I'm sitting so it's on the trails in and even then I don't stick my feet right in there very much.
The first time I rode this I almost blew thru a couple of corners on the trail in. The front feels pretty heavy on the trail. The first couple of days I could definitely feel my shoulders but not anymore.
In the deep snow I love riding this sled. Lots of torque and with the 2.4" track, lots of traction. It doesn't have the snap off the line that an 800 doo has. The sled is a lot of fun to ride. I find sidehilling is so easy. The front end comes up very easy when climbing and manuevering takes a little bit of weight transfer on one side or the other. Riding in the trees seems fairly easy because of this.
The stock seat is taller than my 02 edge so it's very easy on our knees on the trails and easy to stand when you start playing. Some people complain about the weight but nobody I ride with has complained about the weight when I'm stuck. I'm not bashing but we have a friend with an RX1 that nobody likes to get unstuck.
I have very few mods done. Thing can, timbersled intake, some venting and a riser. I will be removing the rad sometime this week. I'm sure this sled would absolutely rip if I made some changes to clutching but so far I don't want to mess with a good thing. Good enough for me anyway. Gets me everywhere I want to go.
My brother was going to buy one after seeing mine on the snow but found a good deal on a rev instead.

Last edited:

GRD

Reaction score
BIGFOOT and B.A. both ride them (2006 900 166).... I have rode BA's and it works good. I am not exactly sure what was changed (gearing or clutching), different air box, riser, and a can I believe.

They like to climb and I found it fairly easy to move in the trees... I have never felt a vibration that is different from any other sled.

Last edited:

BIGFOOT

Reaction score
Not wanting to go long & deep here...06 models got some manufacture TLC over the 05 models.... Must have still had issues cause they stopped production of the 900. Updated motor mounts & overall positioning gave one a little less shake & belt wear.
I Added some cooling vents on the clutch side, Reworked the secondary, changed the air box & geared it down.... WOW... Hang on. No problem with belt anymore. Not going to remove the front rad... I don't see any gain,Give it all the cooling you can. (Over a few pounds loss). Some will go into depth to capitalize the 'Bad rap' thing..... But the sleds work well.:twocents:

stealth 800

Reaction score
I have an 06 switchback 900 and im verry pleased, over 1500 miles still has original belt.It does have slight vibration in the lower foot wells but i dont have my feet in that position when rideing. I has very good power .I perfer skidoo but a polaris dealer was much more helpful when makeing the deal.

nigg35

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. Think ill go that way if someone knows of someone selling one at a reasonable price could be intristed.05 or 06 id like to have factory mods. done already but hay if not that ok. thanks

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I work next to a place called Climb Higher Performance and he does a pile of mods for the 900 polaris. I bet he did 5 sleds last year. Piston updates,motor mounts,clutch balancing,air box changes and lots more. Whole different machine when they leave with good customer response. If you get one get the 06 for sure. Polaris added more injectors the second year. Get a good price and sink some changes into it and giver.

Top Bottom