Back surgery

benclaluna450r

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey. Have any of you guys ever had back surgery my dad might have to go in for surgery he has a herniated disc in his lower I just want to see if there have been others

heavy d

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Broke my back twice, nine vertabrea affected in total. 1st time L1, L2, L3, got away without surgury on that one. 2nd time C2+3 cracks, C4 compression fractures....but stable, C5+6, cracks. That happened in 2003. They are now talking about them having to fuse C1-7 because of the bone spurs growing on C4........ain't gonna happen if I have anything to do with it.

Don't exactly know what my options are, I was pissed off and left the meeting. In my expeirience, which is slim, I have known a few people that have had back surguries, but they never seem to be anything more than a temp fix.

benclaluna450r

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Broke my back twice, nine vertabrea affected in total. 1st time L1, L2, L3, got away without surgury on that one. 2nd time C2+3 cracks, C4 compression fractures....but stable, C5+6, cracks. That happened in 2003. They are now talking about them having to fuse C1-7 because of the bone spurs growing on C4........ain't gonna happen if I have anything to do with it.

Don't exactly know what my options are, I was pissed off and left the meeting. In my expeirience, which is slim, I have known a few people that have had back surguries, but they never seem to be anything more than a temp fix.

That's insane yea a back is a risky thing to mess with thats like trying to re wire cdi box on a old ford to many things can go wrong

Open Season

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I blew a disc in my lower back 3 years ago. It sucks, sometimes it spasms and it's all that I can do not to fall down. I got a good anti inflammitory drug and it really helps. My Dr said that surgery would be a last option and that I shouldn't do it until I absolutley can't stand the pain. Wish him the best cause I know what it feels like.

benclaluna450r

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I blew a disc in my lower back 3 years ago. It sucks, sometimes it spasms and it's all that I can do not to fall down. I got a good anti inflammitory drug and it really helps. My Dr said that surgery would be a last option and that I shouldn't do it until I absolutley can't stand the pain. Wish him the best cause I know what it feels like.

will do yea he is probably on the same things hes going for a cat scan friday

kbrunlees

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a bulged disk that does stupid things every once in a while, as long as I do my exercises I am ok. So what do I go and do? Ride a quad and go sledding? Hope everything goes ok. Nothing like walking along and then it feels like someone shot you.:)

Oldtrick

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Lived with mine for over 10 years, L3, 4 & 5. Was told that I should resign myself to surgery. Compressed disks made it hard to walk, sit or even stand.
Went and took Spinal Decompression this year and its the best thing I could have ever done. I go back for a tune up every thee mos or so and would recommend it to anyone.

benclaluna450r

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Lived with mine for over 10 years, L3, 4 & 5. Was told that I should resign myself to surgery. Compressed disks made it hard to walk, sit or even stand.
Went and took Spinal Decompression this year and its the best thing I could have ever done. I go back for a tune up every thee mos or so and would recommend it to anyone.

where do you go for that my dad wants to give that a go

Shankster

Reaction score
I had a herniated disc for over 2 years with nasty psyatic pain. It really was crippling and unfortunatly really hinders the ability to have fun on your favorite toys:( Last June I got the operation done, It was fast and the scar was only about an inch to 2 inches long. They basically cut you open, remove the small herniation...for me was nastily pushing on nerves...and stitch you back up! I went home the same day, and was walking, slowly around for about a week after, but did immediately notice the difference! Every now and then I still have a little nerve pain but I can live with it! Just make sure your Dad doesn't over do it, and make sure he does not lay on the couch, but get up and move around after the surgery. The trick is not to seize up!! Good luck!!!:)

benclaluna450r

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had a herniated disc for over 2 years with nasty psyatic pain. It really was crippling and unfortunatly really hinders the ability to have fun on your favorite toys:( Last June I got the operation done, It was fast and the scar was only about an inch to 2 inches long. They basically cut you open, remove the small herniation...for me was nastily pushing on nerves...and stitch you back up! I went home the same day, and was walking, slowly around for about a week after, but did immediately notice the difference! Every now and then I still have a little nerve pain but I can live with it! Just make sure your Dad doesn't over do it, and make sure he does not lay on the couch, but get up and move around after the surgery. The trick is not to seize up!! Good luck!!!:)

That's his exact same thing he has trust me my dad won't lay on the couch for long haha he was out 4x4ing today with us crippled and all

TROLLCAT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
what's involved with this decompression this might help me out , the bone cracker helps until I do something stupid he's 600km away sometimes I don't see him for 2 or 3 months

Oldtrick

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
where do you go for that my dad wants to give that a go

You have a couple of clinics in Sherwood Park and I think the other is in Spruce Grove.
Just google it for Edmonton and you'll find the clinic. Just make sure it is the decompression, not a simple inversion table. This table works like the old "Rack" and literally pulls you in the area at issue.
They also work for necks as well.
I went in Lloyd, my Chiro has a table here and was cheaper than running to the city. 8am appts, back at work by 8:45 and you can sleep on the table. Very relaxing.

papajake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i have had a herniated disc for 15 years doc said surgery would be 60% or it could be worst after the surgery i have whore a back support or they call them kidney belts before lifting anything heavy and go sledding or quading i find sitting for a long time makes it hurt more

Oldtrick

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i have had a herniated disc for 15 years doc said surgery would be 60% or it could be worst after the surgery i have whore a back support or they call them kidney belts before lifting anything heavy and go sledding or quading i find sitting for a long time makes it hurt more

Thats what I lived with for years.
You get up and it takes 30 steps before you can even straighten up. Feels like you have a broom handle inserted you know where....

BC Sno-Ghost

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had L5-S1 disc removed with no fusion in 1986. Result of a bulging disc from a football injury. Before surgery always had pain and numbness down my leg. After surgery noticed immediate relief from pain and recovery went really well. Other than getting too active too soon my experience with the surgery was great. Twenty four years later I have some instability in my lower back. It's weird...I can sled and do heavy yard work or move a buddy and no problem but bend over to tie my shoes and a spasm will almost take me down. Takes about a week and a bunch of anti-inflamamtories to settle it back down. Recovery time these days is much faster especially if they can do the surgery laproscopically...through the belly button. Something else I highly recommend is an inversion table. Best device out there for decompression. Has helped me and many people I know a lot! Good luck to your Dad.:beer:

Johnny

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ive been dealing with disc issues for a few years now, a major pain in the azz. My doc said its normal if i was around 65yrs old but two discs went to poo at 34, after trying damn near everything but surgery, I found a bone cracker that had a decompression table and gave it a try, its the best relief Ive come accross yet. I wish I had the loot to buy one. Im just not comfy with back surgery until I cant ride/walk anymore and have nothing to loose.

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a pretty bad S1-L5 and L5-L4. Just got an MRI yesterday and hopefully booking surgery soon.

Top Bottom