Back Pack/shovel and probe for the mountains.

2skis

Reaction score
A few of us flat land saskatchewanites are planning a trip to the Back country. I would like to know what back pack shovels and probes you guys recommend. I priced Klim gear which would be $450.00 for a back pack ,probe and a shovel. Or I can buy a set WPS back country which is only $200.00 for all three pieces. This is a first time trip for all but one of us. Do we really need the fancy Klim **** or are we fine buying the cheaper gear. IMO in our group learning safe riding and taking the Avalanche course is more important than all my gear saying Klim on it. We are planning to rent Beacons. Anything you guys recommend to a group of newbies what to take(and pls no stupid replies as I just want this trip to be as safe and as fun as possible)

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
if its your first trip, why don't you rent all the gear?

Depending on where you are going most towns have at least 1 place that will rent it all to you.

2skis

Reaction score
if its your first trip, why don't you rent all the gear?

Depending on where you are going most towns have at least 1 place that will rent it all to you.

Do you know what is costs to rent all this gear per day? I believe we are planning to go to Revy

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
Do you know what is costs to rent all this gear per day? I believe we are planning to go to Revy

I don't believe its very much to be honest, definitely less than running out and buying it all.

Call the hotel that you are staying at in Revy they'll be able to help you out with that info.

2skis

Reaction score
I don't believe its very much to be honest, definitely less than running out and buying it all.

Call the hotel that you are staying at in Revy they'll be able to help you out with that info.

Thanks for the info.

gibsons

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would also strongly suggest getting a guide for a couple days otherwise a whole group of newbies could turn out to be a real sh!t show and ruin your trip. Mark Shady is a guide up there for example of someone who could answer some of your questions and maybe set you up with some gear. jmo

Last edited:

sledneck_03

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
before everyone in my group seemed to switch to snowpulse packs guys were running the hmk pack that came with the shovel and probe. Looks like $245 for everything.

chickenman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would also strongly suggest getting a guide for a couple days otherwise a whole group of newbies could turn out to be a real sh!t show and ruin your trip. Mark Shady is a guide up there for example of someone who could answer some of your questions and maybe set yo up with some gear. jmo

Second vote for Mark Shady. I met him in '04 and rode with him a few days. Great guy to show you around and to learn from. Pretty sure he rents out all the sledding gear you may need. If you dont mind not having a backpack that says KLIM on it, you're with the majority of people I think. I used my school bag for over 12 years. still holds all my stuff. Just be sure that you carry your avi gear in your bag on your back so that its never far away. Lunch, drinks and tool you can store wherever on the sled after that.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had a Dakine heli-pro pack from snowboarding and use that. Went down to Atmosphere and bought a Black Diamond probe and shovel. All in I probably spent $200. I imagine the prices have gone up and supporting a leaf licker store isn't a good plan so the HMK for $245 sounds good. I find the dealers usually have the markup on this stuff set way high.

Brojoe

Reaction score
Like Gibson said use a guide for your first trip. Mark Shady is a good guide. Just negotiate the rate up front and be prepared to buy supper and a few beverages.

Honda619

Reaction score
Kuudoos to your number one concern that is getting avalance training. That is your geratest tool and the rest will fall in place from there. Too many people miss that step. Have fun out there.

2skis

Reaction score
Thanks for the info everyone. We have decided to go to Fernie, heard it's a little calmer for newbies. Can you recommend a guide in Fernie? and also a place to rent beacons/gear. Thanks.

vodoo103

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

SKDeuce

Reaction score
Gear Hub in Fernie rents all the equipment. I think it was $35 a day for the backpack, shovel, prove and beacon last year when my buddy rented.

bdietz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
when are you guys planning to come out there are lots of great places around fernie me and my boys ride near there most all the time and could prob show you a few spots and im sure there will be a few more guys able to show you around also
if you want an avi course that will prob take up a couple days and you will have to check the schedule

Top Bottom