Back Country X MXZ or Summit X 146/154

Smurff1000

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am going to buy a sled this week
and can not make up mind on what kind.

I ride a MXZ 136 x 2.25" 1000 X and I want a XP they look good.

I like jumping deep snow when we get some arond here Edmonton West.
and my 1000 suspension work great for that

Going to the hills 1 to 3 time a year will the Back Country X work?
Like the looks,
or will the 154 summit be just as good riding here?
and just be super in the hills?????????????:confused:

How do you guys like your Back Country? vs Summit?

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
do not get the backcountry.

at minimum get the 146. but i would reccomend the 154 as you can huck that hting just as good as the 146.

the problem is with the backcountry is you will be coming on here in about 2 months after going back to the mountains and asking what track everyone is using that you should upgrade to.

you need a deep lug track for the steep and deep and if you dont have it you wont be very thrilled. the 2.24 lugs work just fine in the minimal snow we get out here.

Slamnek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There is a video on here of a new backcountry in valemount hill climbing and it looks like it goes really good. I know they won't go like a 146 or 154 but if most of your riding is going to be around edmonton a backcountry with the 2'' paddles would work. It all depends on how many mountain trips your gonna make. A trip when there's 2-3 feet of powder.....get your shovel ready.

blastoff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the 154 around here works great even in trails, just look around there is tons of XPs running around local and even more in the mountains. i put on more miles local but i have the machine for both worlds. no diff than all the polaris or cat guys running around with 153 & 155 inch tracks, so make the move to 154

Ryeser

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Go for the Summit, the rest of your friends have one (except for me), You can be TKO's Evil twin, be able to switch out parts when he leaves it in the garage... make sure you get electric start...:d
I think the 146 is enough for both worlds...

Or consider a Dragon, wait, then you have to spend another $10K on switching over your entire wardrobe, never mind!

Last edited:

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i thought you were going with a 4 stroker? ecko at the beach was offering prtty good deals when Landon and i were track kickin. they have a 1200 there for 10600 out the door brand new.

chad123

Reaction score
you need a summit 800 146, i ride the back country non x around hear and love it but if you want the best of both worlds i would go with the summit 146, just my 2 cents

ryan#1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I ride an 08 146 in steep and deep on a regular basis and it works just as good as the longer tracks except maybe on the really really deep powder days maybe the 163's may do a little better.

If 90%+ of your riding is in the flatlands and you like jumping, meadows, etc and not just steady hillclimbing than I would go for the XP 146 over the other XP's.

Never seen or riden the renegage so can't comment on them.

98sumitt

Reaction score
I've got a 146 XP 800 and it goes anywhere I want to go out in Revy. Also works great for ditch pounding.

EMANAARON

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a 09 Renegade with a 141x2.25x15" track and 9" wheels inside the rails. This thing handles unreal in the powder. I just left my Pilot 5.7 skis on and they seem to work awesome. I have spent a total of 5 days riding out in Valemont and love it. It outclimbs my dads 09 146 summit like no tommorow. I could also outclimb my buddys 04 summit 800 151 Summit , and my buddys Dragon 700 155. I dont know what is up with it but it just climbs and climbs.

I think Track speed is where its at i dropped 2 23t/45T gearing and it get 90-100kmh Trackspeed climbing in the powder.

Other then that its stock.

ttpowersports

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
well im not a skidoo guy.....but i would choose the 154...the longer track is more adaptable than a shorter one...will give u a better ride...in most cases its advantageous to go bigger than smaller...in 19 + yrs of selling sleds i never sold one to someone who came back and said they wanted a smaller one....however did have guys come up and get the bigger one the next yr....

good luck.... im sure what ever u get u ll like....

Terry
:d:d

Ryeser

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Don't buy either, until you can test ride them... don't do what i did, walk in and buy it, then see what it feels like, not that I am dissapoointed, but was too anxious and excited... Logic and experience is the answer...;)

Longhorn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.longhornenergy.ca
Don't buy either, until you can test ride them... don't do what i did, walk in and buy it, then see what it feels like, not that I am dissapoointed, but was too anxious and excited... Logic and experience is the answer...;)

Greatest advice ever...

If you can arrange to ride both, do it! I didnt, and wish I did...

Foxstar45

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you're an etream trail/x-country rider you should get the Ren X, then just put a track on it. You'll want the wider stance + when you are carving the sled it won't be hard because those narrow skis just sink when you push em into the snow. A Summit will not be great around here. You'll find it too slow and clumsy. Summit will rock only in the mountains. I think people buying 154s to ride 80% x-country are makeing too much of a comprimise says this observer.

rippen

Reaction score
Hey man , ya I got a 07 summit with 151 track and I never been to the mountaians , it works great so far , we got about 2.5 feet of snow at the start of the season , I cant getter stuck, but I also ride my buddys RMK 700 136 track and love throwing that little unit around , which is making me think about upgrading to a new backcountry x 137 inc track next year . snowtrax television did a shootout on the 800 2 strokes and the backcountry was number 1 , they didnt seem to have any problems ripping up the mountian side . later man

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
depends what your deffinition of ripping it up is i guess....id be so pssed off with a backcountry in about ten minuts in the mountain. those snowtrax testers barely ride the mountains. of course it rips up the mountains in their fladland heads lol

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Smurff man gettin' a new sled.....what, that 1000 too slow. My first thought is to tell you to get a Cat :p, but something in the water out your way keeps you all buying Doos??? It's not much to go by, but you have seen me on my 136" heavy iron and nothing stops me. Even had her up at Fernie a few times and had fun. My point is a well set up shorter track sled with the right track (and rider), can do well everywhere. I like the idea of the 146" or 137" for the best of both worlds, then tailor it more to your preference. You did well with your current sled and it's not a stretched sled by any means.

Just my opinion.

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the 1200? if not he should snow check a 800 etec. if they are anything like the 600's they will be nothing short of freakin amazing.

Top Bottom