Axys snowcheck

Jorgy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So as everyone was asking and waiting for polaris unveiled the axys in the pro rmk with the 800 H.O. for 2016. But who here is actually serious about snow checking the first of a new chassis and new engine? The new design may have more "lift" because polaris engineers know how to build a mountain sled, however the HO was only out in trail sleds for this season and only a few have done the conversion and put mountain miles on it. Do you guys believe that reliability has been increased from a lightweight crankshaft and electronic oil pump? I am looking for a 800 for next season possibly as the 600 is just not quite cutting anymore on those deep days this year. Would like to snowcheck for a better deal however I'm not totally convinced yet. Would be nice to not have to throw a grand into it for a fix kit .

Vance Matheson

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
maybe you should just wait, or buy a left over 14 or 15 for under ten grand with warranty. i have been hearing and reading about people buying fix kits and not needing them for the 13 and up. or track down a 13xm if your worried about the newer liberty .

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I still have my 2010 Dragon, and no fix it kit. The sled has been flawless, as far as Dragons go.....
First year production can make or break a good year, and I'm seriously thinking about snow checking a 2016. I know I can find a smoking deal on New 2014's and 15's, but I think I'm gonna go for a 16

Merc63

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'll be selling my 14 to snow check a 16.

i know polaris has changed absolutely nothing on the engine since first releasing it which I believe is a good thing.

Heard from a guy who rode the new sled at the demo a few weeks ago say that the difference between the pro and axys is equivalent to the difference between the IQ and the pro.

Vance Matheson

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'll be selling my 14 to snow check a 16.

i know polaris has changed absolutely nothing on the engine since first releasing it which I believe is a good thing.

Heard from a guy who rode the new sled at the demo a few weeks ago say that the difference between the pro and axys is equivalent to the difference between the IQ and the pro.
The difference was huge adjusting to the pro rmk.

Just from the last 2 posts there will be a sea of pros on the used market next year.

VanceM

Jorgy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If so many people are going to snow check could be a lot of low mileage 14's and 15's on the market this spring and fall

sledneck_03

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If so many people are going to snow check could be a lot of low mileage 14's and 15's on the market this spring and fall
friend of mine sold his turbo 2013, bought a 2015 and put a tki gear down kit and 3" on it for this year. will be selling that and snow checking an axys for sure.

im probably waiting till 2017 cause i just built a house otherwise i probably would.

first year can be ****ty but looks like they took the 2013-15 pro and just improved it in every way..... also this motor may have been looked at and tested for years. To me the 800 was always a bandaid fix after bandaid fix since 2008 up till 2014. The new pistons with the lubing groves and electronic oil pump i thinks going to fix the remaining issues. the skirt issue seems to be gone in the 2013 and up. Scuffing and piston deformation isnt but isnt as common, but reading snowest up until 2015 oil consumption varied and some were barely burning any oil.

adamg

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'll be checking out the models and prices, as well as Doo's offerings.

Merc63

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I retract my previous post. After taking a look at the used market and what the dealers and manufacturers have done to the prices I won't be selling my 14. There is no point to taking a 40-50% loss on a machine that I bought 3 months ago, only to pay top dollar for a snow check to see them $2000-$3000 cheaper mid winter next year.

Ill wait a bit to they start throwing these machine out the door just like they did with the left overs from 14 and 15 now.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Reading the ride reviews from people makes me want one. But at this time its not in the cards to say I would be snochecking one. It wasn't in the cards to bring home a Pro this past fall but I made it work. Very happy about it as well.

Should things change and I free up the cash to pick up one, maybe I will jump on a brand new release of a sled for the first time. :)

Keith Brown

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hm "Electonic Oil Pump eliminates power robbing gear drive" This from the Polaris propaganda. That is total BS. It is a fact that a gear drive is infinitely more efficient than an electric pump with electronic control. Even in the most efficient senerio the 800 HO has to generate the electricity then return the electricity back to a mechanical pump both of those conversions has significant inefficiencies. Pie in the sky efficiency ratings on such a small scale would be 80% X 2 = 64% efficiency. A gear driven pump under the same conditions would have an efficiency in the very high 90%. If Polaris engineers have developed break thru technology that will render gear drives obsolete I look forward to the elimination of transmissions and differentials in trucks. It seems to me that Polaris faced significant engineering challenges in their attempt to keep up with the competition and simply threw in the "Electronic Pump" and tried to market it as an innovation instead of the patch that it really is. At the very least Polaris has spooked me.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hm "Electonic Oil Pump eliminates power robbing gear drive" This from the Polaris propaganda. That is total BS. It is a fact that a gear drive is infinitely more efficient than an electric pump with electronic control. Even in the most efficient senerio the 800 HO has to generate the electricity then return the electricity back to a mechanical pump both of those conversions has significant inefficiencies. Pie in the sky efficiency ratings on such a small scale would be 80% X 2 = 64% efficiency. A gear driven pump under the same conditions would have an efficiency in the very high 90%. If Polaris engineers have developed break thru technology that will render gear drives obsolete I look forward to the elimination of transmissions and differentials in trucks. It seems to me that Polaris faced significant engineering challenges in their attempt to keep up with the competition and simply threw in the "Electronic Pump" and tried to market it as an innovation instead of the patch that it really is. At the very least Polaris has spooked me.

i think it has more to do with getting percise amounts of oil to specific locations at exactly the right time more than efficiency. skidoo did the same thing when they went to the ETEC. although more efficient in a sense they can deliver oil at specific rpm ranges that will really clean up the sled. Idle for example.

Vance Matheson

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i think it has more to do with getting percise amounts of oil to specific locations at exactly the right time more than efficiency. skidoo did the same thing when they went to the ETEC. although more efficient in a sense they can deliver oil at specific rpm ranges that will really clean up the sled. Idle for example.

something i was thinking about. what if it fails, does skidoo have a fail safe. a lot of innovation isnt new its more like borrowed from the auto industry.
i havent seen a mechanical fuel pump in a long time. and i dont work on old cars anymore but im sure they also use electric oil pumps.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
something i was thinking about. what if it fails, does skidoo have a fail safe. a lot of innovation isnt new its more like borrowed from the auto industry.
i havent seen a mechanical fuel pump in a long time. and i dont work on old cars anymore but im sure they also use electric oil pumps.

I think the fail safe is 4 year warranty LOL. I actually don't know that's a good question. I will find out. The picture of the pro rmk oil pump and etec oil pumps are very similar

Keith Brown

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What got me Polaris has put it front page in there propaganda that it eliminates the power robbing gear drive. BRP changed the two cycle game when they introduced the ETEC (OK maybe they had to buy Evenrude to do it) In my opinion there is nothing
innovative about the 800 HO in particular the lubrication systems seems to be very traditional. Personally I can see no reason for a "Electronic Pump" in a traditionally lubracated two stroke beyond simple engineering convince. The ETEC on the other hand has reduced oil consumption to levels that formerly would have assured engine failure and probable needed the electric pump and put there money where the mouth is with a 4 year warranty. I say to Polaris you bulls**t your friends I bulls**t my friends but let's not bulls**t each other

Keith Brown

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Modern fuel injected engines require fuel pressure to start unlike there carberated predecessors

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think as long as it sets a code and an alarm or something when it loses oil pressure if the motor stops turning to alert the rider he best shut it down ASAP or risk engine damage it would be fine to run an electric. Honestly I wish they would have done the same with the mechanical pumps too. Might have saved a few people an engine.

trench

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
From the info I have read about this motor the 3 stage exhaust valves and electric oil pump allow Polaris to get a much more consitant run quality while meeting EPA standards. This should result in a more reliable engine.

Top Bottom