Axys 174 vs 165 G4

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
Published online: Apr 07, 2016 Product Tests Steve Janes Viewed 7429 time(s)
The advantage of working for SnoWest Magazine is that we usually get to spend a little extra time on the new snowmobiles in the spring before they are officially released in the fall. That was the case with the Ski-Doo Summit X 850 E-Tec and the Polaris 800 Pro-RMK 174 LE.
Although we have spent more time on the Summit 850, we have still been able to get both these 2017 snowmobiles on the snow at the same time and see what we like and dislike about them … and there are far more things that we like than we dislike.
2107DooPolaris_5511_1600.jpg_1600.jpg

First to note is that our Summit 850 had a 165x3-inch track and the Pro-RMK LE had the 174x3-inch track. But when you factor in the 16-inch-wide track of the Ski-Doo compared to the 15-inch-wide track of the Polaris, both would have basically the same footprint in the snow.
Weight wise, the Summit tips the scales fully fueled (and full of oil) at 536 pounds and the Polaris weighs out fully fueled and oiled at 535 pounds … again, pretty much even.
5509_1600.jpg_600.jpg

On the snow, you definitely notice the increased power and engine performance on the Summit. Both feel about the same on initial throttle engagement, however, the Summit seems to just keep creating power.
During our tests when climbing in steep terrain, the Polaris seems to do a much better job keeping its track in the snow while the Ski-Doo tends to pick up the skis a little more … and lift the front of the track. This results in losing traction on the steep part of the mountain, thus losing some ability to climb to its full potential. The Polaris definitely outclimbed the Ski-Doo. We’ll have to work a little on the Ski-Doo’s weight transfer to get more track in the snow.
Yet, when you’re carving through trees or down the trail in spring-like conditions, you certainly feel much more track push on the Polaris. The Ski-Doo is much easier turning in packed snow.
The 2017 Summit’s highlights include: Rotax 850 E-Tec engine, Rev platform, PDrive clutch, tMotion rear suspension and a Powdermax Light track with Flexedge.
The 2017 Pro-RMK LE features include: Cleanfire H.O. engine, raised AXYS RMK chassis, Walker Evans Piggyback shocks, ProTaper handlebars and a Series 7 3-inch track.
We’ll continue riding these two snowmobiles throughout the spring in order to provide a full review in next fall’s issues of SnoWest Magazine.

dragonweld28

Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Don't have to brag.. they weigh the same and the Poo is still better!!. Holds a sidehill better and NOW can climb better. All with a 15" track and no T-motion..... how do they do it!!

Clode

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't the polaris have a larger fuel tank :confused:

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have not rode a G4 yet but the rumor mill is that the G4 is too responsive and guys talking about locking out the tmotion.
I forsee raptor selling more of their t motion lockout kit. I think it's called the ace???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So I read it this way:

Polaris is slightly lighter if you go with the monster track version that out climbs Ski-doo but that also implies that if you want the lighter version of the Polaris, it is WAY lighter. And either way you get to carry extra fuel in the Polaris with zero weight penalty compared to the Ski-doo. To bad there is NO option for a lighter Ski-doo.

I am surprised that the article states that the Polaris easily out climbs the Doo, I actually thought with the extra power the Doo would win like so many have claimed in other posts.

Polaris should now put on a 5 gallon fuel tank and make Ski-doo's wet weight look ridiculously high.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I expected the G4 165 to climb about as well as the 174 Axys. Interesting to hear it doesn't.

Rulonjj

Reaction score
From what I've seen, 15" wide vs 16" wide dosen't make any difference in floatation or in maneuverability. 16" is just a bigger number to make you think you have more traction. Length makes a much bigger difference than width. Why Doo stays with the 16" track, we'll never know. With that being said I believe an apples to apples comparison would be the 163x3 axys vs the 165x3 G4. The rear skid on the Doo seems to never get set up right by magazine riders. The rear torsions should be set on 5 to even come close to poo on handling transfer and even then it's not enough. If they could keep the transfer more civil I believe we would see they are quit close in climbing abilities. Sidehilling may be a different story. But straight up climbs they would be similar.

Last edited:

rightsideup

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
From what I've seen, 15" wide vs 16" wide dosen't make any difference in floatation or in maneuverability. 16" is just a bigger number to make you think you have more traction. Length makes a much bigger difference than width. Why Doo stays with the 16" track, we'll never know. With that being said I believe an apples to apples comparison would be the 163x3 axys vs the 165x3 G4. The rear skid on the Doo seems to never get set up right by magazine riders. The rear torsions should be set on 5 to even come close to poo on handling transfer and even then it's not enough. If they could keep the transfer more civil I believe we would see they are quit close in climbing abilities. Sidehilling may be a different story. But straight up climbs they would be similar.
I agree the doo pilots will have the suspension/climbing issues figured out and may have already done so, There seems to have been alot of research into the 174 by polaris and I sure it will work well for its faithfull.

Clode

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Polaris -43.5 liters. G4 - 36 liters. So 7.5 liters more. 16.5 lbs more due to fuel!

after owning a nytro with a small tank (too small most days always packing fuel) good on polaris for keeping the larger tank

dragonweld28

Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

Give me a break... that's as fair as it gets. 174x15 = 2610, 165 x 16 = 2640 sq/inch. Skidoo guys always have an excuse. Does that mean it fair to set up the polaris better as well. Just accept it already.... Polaris made a better sled!!

Ramjet15x

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ben, what are you dooing trolling us over here, go back to the darkside.
I think both sleds are the incredible, it really boils done the fact that the better rider will chew up the competition more than the stock sled.
The real funny thing to me is the AXYS is only 1 pound lighter in riding condition.

Top Bottom