Avy shovels

adamg

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
vjc, did you see them at the Saskatoon Costco? When? How many left? I've been checking there for the last month + and never saw them.

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just bought 4 of 'em. Did some pretty carefull comparing, including using a micrometer to compare the aluminum thickness, and I'm not seeing a whole lot of difference between these and the $80 one in my pack. Sweet deal!

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I love the kijiji ads. One was asking 40 bucks for one shovel. Guy said he already had one so he was selling this one. Pretty sad the guys trying to make a cheap buck.

adamg

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Big ol pile of Costco shovels at the Saskatoon store today. I bought more than enough. I know what I'm giving as Christmas presents this year ;>

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'll have to check the Costco's here...... I need a winter pooper scooper, seeing how my pup is turning out to be a chitting machine.

gibsons

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't think there is anything at all wrong with them. The problem I see is in the name brand products we buy, that probably 90% of them purchase there shovels from this same factory, and have there $50.00 sticker slapped on the side of them and everybody thinks they're getting a superior product just because it says voile, BCA, HMK, or any other name for that matter. I'm pretty sure they don't all have there own factory stamping out shovels, for that matter I doubt any of them do. JMO

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
I don't think there is anything at all wrong with them. The problem I see is in the name brand products we buy, that probably 90% of them purchase there shovels from this same factory, and have there $50.00 sticker slapped on the side of them and everybody thinks they're getting a superior product just because it says voile, BCA, HMK, or any other name for that matter. I'm pretty sure they don't all have there own factory stamping out shovels, for that matter I doubt any of them do. JMO

They don't have their own factory but they have their special specifications like type of aluminum, size of blade, strength of handle etc.

A good shovel is still a good shovel after digging in hard snow from a debris pile.

IMHO, you get what you pay for......J/S

fnDan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The name brand shovels are tested all the time by backcountry/avy experts in the field and they provide their feedback. There is security in knowing they should do what they're supposed to.
I doubt any of them will be bringing one of these shovels for a real world test.
Strapped to the sled as a second shovel for digging out the sled, they'll probably be fine.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
found the costco shovels a little bendy, work well as a second shovel for digging sleds out, as a main avi shovel, your bud isn't going to make it. way to flimsy.

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They were a good starter shovel for me last year. I didnt break one and used them pretty hard. But with that said it is time to upgrade. I have used a couple others and prefer something that has a bigger scoop and is stronger. I spent so much money last year that I do not regret buying them and will continue to carry one on the sled as a backup.

Highfly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just went and grabbed a box. like everyone is saying, at that price how can you not. Cross Iron Mills Costco has a brand new crate of them. I grabbed the first one off the crate.

A lady .... a very cute one at that... asked me about the shovels, how they folded up. I said if you want one you better grab one because last year some turkey bought the whole lift. The cashier said yes I remember last year that happened. I was pissed to say the least but I got mine this year! I figure I'll throw one in the car and truck or have an extra shovel in the sled. They will get used.

Third last isle on the right.......... Half way down the isle on your left.......

48a53d86.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom