Avy Equipment

brucescotland

Reaction score
Hi Guys

Making my second trip to Revelstoke this year, Last year I hired all the kit but it is fairly expensive to rent so I would like to buy my own equipment, which in the long run should work out a bit cheaper

Given I only get probably 1-2 trips a year I don't want to spend thousands of ££ unnecessarily and similarly I don't want to buy something which is not fit for purpose

so I am looking for recommendations for beacons, airbags, shovels and probes which are suitable, fit for purpose but also the best value.

Any help is much appreciated

Bruce

LUCKY 7

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
maybe check out the Edmonton sled show that is coming up. also I would think that if you buy it all at once you should be able to get a better deal.

brucescotland

Reaction score
maybe check out the Edmonton sled show that is coming up. also I would think that if you buy it all at once you should be able to get a better deal.

Haha thanks but its a bit of a trek from Scotland to Edmonton just for a show.

Maybe I should have asked if there is any equipment that I should avoid?

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
.... This site is the supplier for most guides and ski hills and patrollers in North America. can't beat the prices, and they have comparison charts to compare different brands of beacons etc. Worth a look. I got 3 ortovox s1+ beacons off this site, for the price of 1 beacon up here in Canada.

Eldereldo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You should check with the airline you are going to use, whether it will even be possible to bring an airbag along. At a minimum they may require you to empty the container, or you may not be able to bring it along.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Pieps DSP Sport is the best value beacon right now IMO. Talk to RGM on here for the best pricing, I just got one for $250 from him. With the current exchange you would be laughing. I use a probe and shovel from Black Diamond but BCA makes a good product and is more sled oriented. For an airbag I use the snowpulse vest so would look at either that or the BCA vest.

• Thanks
Reactions: RGM

SparkBuilder

Reaction score
I have the BCA dozer shovel in my pack and I've been really happy with it. The blade can be flipped to act as a hoe as well as a normal shovel, which is really handy when digging out a stuck sled. Ortovox makes a similar shovel as well I believe.

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Avalanche Safety solutions out of Golden sells used avy stuff. That way you get a professional looking over the stuff before you buy it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AreWeThereYet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Pieps DSP Sport is the best value beacon right now IMO. Talk to RGM on here for the best pricing, I just got one for $250 from him. With the current exchange you would be laughing. I use a probe and shovel from Black Diamond but BCA makes a good product and is more sled oriented. For an airbag I use the snowpulse vest so would look at either that or the BCA vest.

I bought my pieps sport from Ray beginning of this year

• Thanks
Reactions: RGM

Skegmeister

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Considering your overall expense to travel to western Canada for a sled trip a couple times a year, I am thinking that Avy gear rental is the best way.
I go 4 - 7 times a year and it almost made sense for me to rent. Now I have the cost of maintaining and testing the gear a couple times a year. Not to forget as better equipment comes available, especially the electronics, updating those items as well.
It is nice to have your gear, be even better if you get t use it a lot more.
My thoughts only.

SLEDBUNNYRACING

Bad Bunny
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.sledbunnyracing.com
Considering your overall expense to travel to western Canada for a sled trip a couple times a year, I am thinking that Avy gear rental is the best way.
I go 4 - 7 times a year and it almost made sense for me to rent. Now I have the cost of maintaining and testing the gear a couple times a year. Not to forget as better equipment comes available, especially the electronics, updating those items as well.
It is nice to have your gear, be even better if you get t use it a lot more.
My thoughts only.

The main reason I own my gear (2 sets of everything) is rental comes with the hassle of pick up and return and really, do they care for it like you would?
It's part of the overall expense of this sport.

Tapatalk....well I'm happy with you now....thanks for the fix.

Turts

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Rental transceiver??
In a high stress situation, how well will you be able to use a device that was just handed to you that morning?
Yes, they are becoming much more user friendly but if I was heading out for a ride and my buddy does not know how to use his transceiver, we are spending an hour or so in the parking lot practising.
Just sayin'

SLEDBUNNYRACING

Bad Bunny
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.sledbunnyracing.com
Rental transceiver??
In a high stress situation, how well will you be able to use a device that was just handed to you that morning?
Yes, they are becoming much more user friendly but if I was heading out for a ride and my buddy does not know how to use his transceiver, we are spending an hour or so in the parking lot practising.
Just sayin'

Very good point. If your in the slide you want to know your guys can actually operate the units and save you.

Tapatalk....well I'm happy with you now....thanks for the fix.

beeledf

Reaction score
I have two Snowpulse airbags for sale, with the bottles. Im asking 400.00, way better then the 1200 new. they are used from a help skiing outfit, some fraying but the zippers are all good, the bottles and the airbag are solid.

beeledf

Reaction score
I have two Snowpulse airbags for sale, with the bottles. Im asking 400.00, way better then the 1200 new. they are used from a help skiing outfit, some fraying but the zippers are all good, the bottles and the airbag are solid.
Just to clarify…..400.00 each bag

stormtrooper

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Haha thanks but its a bit of a trek from Scotland to Edmonton just for a show.

Maybe I should have asked if there is any equipment that I should avoid?

Jesus .... if you are coming from Scotland to ride Revy I am sure we could round you up some good loner equipment for a bottle of scotch. Lol. Come on people! Btw hope you have a guide.

Cycle Works West

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.cycleworks.com
Top Bottom