Avy Bags - Which is the best?

Reaction score
Website
www.SnowpulseHighmark.com
Howdy - the Highmark by Snowpulse Vest has a backpack built in. You strap your shovel blade and handle to the exterior, but there's 18L of storage in the pack. You can get more information here: Highmark-Vest-GogglePocket.jpg Highmark-Vest-Open.jpg

unimog

Reaction score
Sorry not to be a pain, but misinfo is not a good thing. It is true that with oxygen there are more places to fill it, however I would advise against having an oxygen canister filler anywhere other than a dealer for snow pulse or BCA, it is not the same as filling a big tank and this is a safety device, your personal safety. An oxygen canister takes about 20-25 minutes to do properly, they must fill the bottle allow it to cool and top it off, or they can freeze the bottle to minus 20 and fill it to the top in one go. The later is how we do ABS nitrogen canisters, we do it at one location because we use 4600 psi and use proper gauges and machinery to control the outcome, we also hold them for 72 hours to make sure none leak. It is not a question of swaying someone to abs it is more about letting people know the info. If you have an oxygen canister i.e. BCA, Snowpulse, or any other system other than ABS it should take 20-25 minutes to fill, with abs you just hit a local dealer, they stock refilled canisters and new handles, you return your canister and handle with $40.00 and they hand you over a newly filled bottle and handle. This is more expensive but the cost is for shipping bottles back and forth as they are considered dangerous material.

It can't be that hard. I have trusted a scuba shop to do it as they are in the business of keeping people alive underwater.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's more to do with the heat generated when filling the canister. Pumping in 3000 psi quickly can cause a lot of heat and some additional ghost pressure that will disappear once the tank has time to rest. Then it can be topped off fully.

I would have to check the BCA tanks but I believe they recommend a lesser pressure around 2800 psi. They may be accounting for the pressure drop from the fill and not require the top off. Still wise to check.

Scuba tanks which are commonly used for filling paintball tanks and even avalanche air canisters are 3000 psi.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Norona, have you tried or seen the NorthFace ABS powder guide vest? I am a ABS fan myself, what drew me into this was the minimalist design and the fact it is 4lb 6oz loaded versus the vario at 7lbs 10oz.

As well what Is your take on the ABS system in a bag that is no begin offered. Looks like you can Take your system and buy different packs any adapt it rather than being a whole complete pack and system now. I think northface, orthovox, dakine, and deuter make bags for the abs system.

i have been trying to find one of these locally for sizing but no one seems to carry it.

image.jpg

Last edited:

norona

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.noronalife.com
Norona, have you tried or seen the NorthFace ABS powder guide vest? I am a ABS fan myself, what drew me into this was the minimalist design and the fact it is 4lb 6oz loaded versus the vario at 7lbs 10oz.

As well what Is your take on the ABS system in a bag that is no begin offered. Looks like you can Take your system and buy different packs any adapt it rather than being a whole complete pack and system now. I think northface, orthovox, dakine, and deuter make bags for the abs system.

i have been trying to find one of these locally for sizing but no one seems to carry it.

View attachment 173783

I love pack vests intact I designed the first ones with ultimate direction and salomon for adventure racing when I was racing. The problem i find with vest for sledding is that number one sizing, they only make a few sizes and none of them seem to fit me well. I also don't like putting a non-breathable vest over my outwear. I prefer a pack and I use both the vario and powder line models. I use the powder line manly for sledding and I use the vario for skiing and ski touring, since with the later you carry more(I carried a 15 pack all day one day to surprise my group) The reason i like the abs system over the north face or many other systems is that it is the only system that you can zip in different packs from a 5 litre to a 55 litre for different uses since I sled, sled ski and ski tour. If you buy a sized pack but then do a different trip like an overnighter etc. then your smaller pack is too small and you can not change that. The north face and dakine is also about 200.00 more. I carry my shovel, probe and in reach and my sandwich in my pack, everything else lives on my sled so weight is not an issue for me. There is no doubt some of the zip ins available from other companies are way more technical, i work with Osprey as well and they have just developed a pretty wicked Kode pack that zips in to my vario, but it is heavier, I find the new abs bags more than adequate. I am not sure on that weight for the north face vest that might not included the abs system, the vests are actually pretty heavy due to the tough material. cheers dave

gdhillon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So that vest would go over my jacket then?

From the looks of it i wouldnt be able to have a back pack with this system?

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Like others have said, there are pros and cons to all airbag systems.

ABS uses nitrogen, which is supposed to be more stable in colder weather, and I think the packs are better thought out.

Snowpulse uses compressed DRY air, and the bag slowly deflates, so that in the event that you do still get buried, (as in a gully) you have a pocket created by the bag that has air in it.

BCA, I haven't really looked close enough to them, but they also use dry air.

With the vests, is there enough room to put a first aid kit in it?

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Like others have said, there are pros and cons to all airbag systems.

ABS uses nitrogen, which is supposed to be more stable in colder weather, and I think the packs are better thought out.

Snowpulse uses compressed DRY air, and the bag slowly deflates, so that in the event that you do still get buried, (as in a gully) you have a pocket created by the bag that has air in it.

BCA, I haven't really looked close enough to them, but they also use dry air.

With the vests, is there enough room to put a first aid kit in it?
Tons of room.... I have pockets I haven't found something to put in yet

norona

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.noronalife.com
So that vest would go over my jacket then?

From the looks of it i wouldnt be able to have a back pack with this system?

The vest pack is designed to be just like a back pack however it distributes the load over the front and back, you can carry things up front that you use a lot, like gps, inReach, snacks etc. and in the back you can carry a shovel, probe and whatever else...so you choose one or the other(a regular back pack style) as many have said to each their own, With the sled shows coming up the best is to try on all of them and see which one feels best for you. All the companies are at most of the shows either as a stand alone or with a shop so it makes it great to try them all.

ThrottleOps

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes the best gets warm from April to July that's my only complaint with it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I found the same thing late spring, vest gets warm. Just adjust your layering appropriately. And even being warm in the vest was still preferential to have a sweating back from a backpack.

0neoldfart

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We have both a Snowpulse Vest and the Highmark 22. I was always one to wear a Tek Vest, but now wear the Snowpulse vest as my regular equipment. Less bulky then a tek vest & pack, and offers some protection (obviously not as extensive as the tek vest). I dress light, usually wearing heavyweight helly hanson as a base layer & a Klim shell (jacket & pants) when it's below - 25C, and switch to light helly hanson polypro base layer & Klim shell in warmer temps. If wearing a backpack, I wear light base layer and a Klim Valdez parka & togwotee bibs. The vest does an excellent job of keeping your core temperature stable, just have to ensure you don't over dress for the conditions / activity level.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We have both a Snowpulse Vest and the Highmark 22. I was always one to wear a Tek Vest, but now wear the Snowpulse vest as my regular equipment. Less bulky then a tek vest & pack, and offers some protection (obviously not as extensive as the tek vest). I dress light, usually wearing heavyweight helly hanson as a base layer & a Klim shell (jacket & pants) when it's below - 25C, and switch to light helly hanson polypro base layer & Klim shell in warmer temps. If wearing a backpack, I wear light base layer and a Klim Valdez parka & togwotee bibs. The vest does an excellent job of keeping your core temperature stable, just have to ensure you don't over dress for the conditions / activity level.
To add to that, don't get stuck u won't over heat lol

gdhillon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The vest pack is designed to be just like a back pack however it distributes the load over the front and back, you can carry things up front that you use a lot, like gps, inReach, snacks etc. and in the back you can carry a shovel, probe and whatever else...so you choose one or the other(a regular back pack style) as many have said to each their own, With the sled shows coming up the best is to try on all of them and see which one feels best for you. All the companies are at most of the shows either as a stand alone or with a shop so it makes it great to try them all.
Okay thanks for the reply!

I will have to see which show will be coming close to me

Top Bottom