Avy bag must have items

vodoo103

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Some of the blue paper shop towels in a ziplock bag are a great addition for cleaning glasses or goggles in a pinch + eliminate the need to carry a roll of T.P.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wool socks, wool sweater, fleece pants, shop towel in a ziplock bag, bivvy sack, tampon, lighters, headlamp, mechanics wire, zap straps, flashlight, spare batteries, folding saw, heavy mitts, toque, rope, roll of tape, flagging tape, old coffee can holds a bunch of this stuff and can be used for heating water.

Need to add first aid kit, waterproof matches, and emergency blanket to mine this year.

sledhead5000

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.pdotsledding.com
Along with the survival gear I keep some fixing tools in there as well. Leatherman, crescent wrench, zip locks, a couple spare nuts/bolts, tape, wire, allen/torx, fuses. A map print out (from the revelstoke snowmobile club website) and a compass might also be handy incase you break it early on and gotta walk to the trail to hitch a ride out.

Clode

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
a couple of condoms....well cause you never know !!!

Uturn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
  • A good first aid kit. We had one of our group take a big spill a few years ago in a white out. Split his chin open and bad cut on knee(could see his knee cap) Lots of blood and we used up our small first aid kits in a hurry. A couple of bandaids and a St Johns sling didn't go far to control the bleeding. First aid kit now fills a shaving kit bag and fits at the bottom of my avi pack.

• Bottle of 400mg extra strength Advil. Controls pain after trauma for ride out or until help arrives.

• Stainless steel signal mirror.

Last edited:

Vipertonytro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A tube of crazy glue. We have stitched up some nasty wounds with it in the past. Don't cover the entire wound it need to seep. Just use it like stitches it works awesome. Also we take wet shop wipes in ziplock bags for those nasty messy repairs that you don't want to put your greasy hands back in your $100 gloves.

Reaction score
Laytex Gloves, Artificial Respiration Mask, Extra Clothes, A Roll of Sam Splint and Sling Material, Hockey Tape, Small Electrical Kit, Fuel Line and Hose Clamps (I had a feul line break on a poker rally, not fun)

Heimie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone. These are all really good suggestions and ideas for what to carry in the bag. Something I want to add, is how I decide what goes into what storage. I don't want extra weight on my back if I can avoid it, so I don't get as tired or sore while riding all day.

So, I put the things in my avy pack that I will need to survive IF I got separated from my sled. So that being said, things like fire starter, granola bars, first aid kit, saw, clothes or socks, TP, cell phone, keys, wallet, etc. goes into the avy pack. Also, what I feel is really important to go in the avy pack is the shovel, and probe. If there was an avalanche, and my sled was missing, I still have the tools with me to help find other people or dig them out.

Things I would need to fix the sled or help someone else that needs repairs or help go into the sled storage. Things like tools, stove, axe, lunch, tampon fire starter, shop towels, etc.

One more thing, is that I keep my spare sled key zip-tied in a small pocket in my jacket. If I lose my key, I'm not trying to figure out how to bypass the switch to keep riding.

Just my ideas and opinion.

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
For the First Aid kits, St.john Ambulance has real nice kits, the one that I just purchased is called the sport kit it comes with a lot in a compact soft bag. if in Edmonton stop by there 118th ave and 123 st office and grab one. I highly recommend taking a course as well.

The other stores are found here you can order online as well http://www.shopsja.ca

Here is what it comes with,

Description
From splints to cold compresses, the Sports Kit contains the necessary first aid supplies to deal with most sports injuries. Coaches and trainers will appreciate its compact size – easy to add to a gym or sport bag.

Contents:
Small Wounds

6 Cleansing Wipes 6 Adhesive Bandages (1.9 cm x 7.5 cm)
3 Adhesive Squares (5 cm x 7.5 cm) 2 Knuckle Bandages
2 Fingertip Bandages 2 Non-adherent Pads (5 cm x 7.5 cm)
Medium Wounds

2 Cleansing Wipes 1 Elastic Gauze Bandage (5 cm x 4.5 cm)
4 Gauze Pads (10 cm x 10 cm) 1 Abdominal Pad (19 cm x 20 cm)
ADDITIONAL SUPPLIES

1 First Aid Pocket Guide 3 Pairs of Vinyl Gloves
12 Safety Pins 1 Note Pad
1 Pencil 1 St. John Window Sticker
1 Roll of Adhesive Tape (1.25 cm x 4.5 m) 1 Pair of Tweezers
10 Cleansing Wipes 1 Face Shield
MISCELLANEOUS ITEMS

2 Triangular Bandages
1 Pair of Scissors (18 cm)
1 Elastic Gauze Bandage (7.5 cm x 4.5 m)
2 Tongue Depressors
2 Cold Compresses (15 cm x 25 cm)
1 Elastic Bandage (5 cm x 4.5 m)
1 Rescue Sheet
10 Gauze Pads (10 cm x 10 cm)
2 Wood Splints
1 Antiseptic Lotion (57 ml)
*These products may not be available at your local branch*

geordiep

Reaction score
Spent the night on the mountain a few years ago. What was learned:
1. proper gear should be priority one - Klim/Motorfist and proper layering and boots
2. folding saws will fail you!
3. firewood is key to survival
4. folding saws do not produce firewood fast enough

My sled broke down in the trees on a major powder day. Snow was so deep, doubling out was impossible on big climbs. I had to walk up the huge climbs in waist deep powder. Exhausting. By the time we reach the back bowl it was nearly dark and a full on blizzard. We could not see 5 feet in front of us. It was so bad and I was so exhausted we had to make shelter.

When we abandoned my sled we did not know it was blizzarding above us so I left as much stuff at my sled to save weight/space for doubling. This included most of my water/food, emergency blanket, first aid kit, and hatchet.

We had 2 folding saws and a handle saw. Between cutting evergreen limbs for the shelter and cutting Firewood, eventually the blades will snag and snap. When your exhausted/cold/hungry/stressed you will not cut smooth and SNAP. By morning we had 2 saw blades left about 4" long and torn gloves and bloody fingers.

Also, saws can cut through decent size wood but you can split that wood without an axe/hatchet. So you are limited to branches and limbs which burn up fast and don't produce enough lasting heat. And remember you are limited to the type of wood available when there is 15 feet of snow covering everything.

In regards to proper gear, I should have replaced by leaking Klim boots earlier that season. Climbing those steep hills to get out then walking through waist deep snow all night to search for firewood had my feet squishing in my boots. I had to wring out my socks every hour. Spare socks did not help. If your feet are not dry and warm it doesn't matter what you are wearing. It was a very cold night for me.

The other issue was the fire; It melted down 7+ feet. We started with a base of green trees as thick as we could saw, stacked criss-cross. They lasted a few hours and then there was no stopping the melt. We tried everything we could think of to stop it. It was a nightmare keeping the fire going and sucking in all that smoke. (I still do not know the best way to do this). The pictures are a week after while rescuing my sled.

There were a lot of other stupid things we did wrong, but came out with only bruised egos and a better attitude towards safety.

I now have the best gear available and properly care for it, plus I carry a hand chain-saw, shovel handle saw, folding saw, and hatchet.

I still need to learn about fire building on top of snow and firewood selection.

Last edited:

geordiep

Reaction score
MEC has lightweight saws/hatchets:

Back pack Axe - 1.1lbs - 8" long
Gerber Back Paxe Axe - Mountain Equipment Co-op. Free Shipping Available

5006-048_NOC02_view1_390x390.jpg

Bigger axe but still fits in backpack - 1.5lbs - 13" long
Gerber Sport Axe - Mountain Equipment Co-op. Free Shipping Available
5008-621_NOC02_view1_390x390.jpg

Pocket chain saw - 0.3lbs - tin can size
Supreme Pocket Chain Saw - Mountain Equipment Co-op. Free Shipping Available
4008-560_NOC02_view1_390x390.jpg

4008-560_NOC02-ALT-CASE_view1_390x390.jpg

Folding saw - 180 grams
Bahco Folding Wood Saw - Mountain Equipment Co-op. Free Shipping Available

4009-407_NOC02_view1_390x390.jpg

Powder Puff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.sledrevelstoke.com
Zacs Tracs has a list of suggested items to carry, not just in avy bag but in any bag. I know it`s a lot of stuff but they suggest to split it between riding partners and to carry some items on your sled. Lots of good suggestions, list is a bit down the page.

CrankShop910

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
As for the fire thing, if I have to spend the night I would dig a hole for the fire and to sit in. If you could get to the ground would be the best but that might be tuff late in the year.
I would be a cold night, I hope I never have to spend the night.

Colin Day

Reaction score
  • A good first aid kit. We had one of our group take a big spill a few years ago in a white out. Split his chin open and bad cut on knee(could see his knee cap) Lots of blood and we used up our small first aid kits in a hurry. A couple of bandaids and a St Johns sling didn't go far to control the bleeding. First aid kit now fills a shaving kit bag and fits at the bottom of my avi pack.

• Bottle of 400mg extra strength Advil. Controls pain after trauma for ride out or until help arrives.

• Stainless steel signal mirror.
Don't forget that if someone is cut up pretty bad and needs pain relief, you should carry tylenol because it doesn't thin blood like advil. I carry both in separate, labeled baggies.

Top Bottom