Avy bag must have items

SIRsleeper

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So I am getting my bag ready for the season and still have some room to spare. Just wondering what are some must have items I might be overlooking? I've got a basic first aid kit, survival tin (fire starter, mirror, wire etc), a bivy, buck knife, spare clothes, and of course a probe and shovel. What am I missing?? I want the raw basics for an overnight in case I ever need it and ideally will keep the bag packed year round.

sorsy

Reaction score
small foldable saw if your shovel does not have one built in..gerber makes a really nice one...cheap from wholesale sports

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
An axe. Not gonna cut much fire wood with a buck knife! Focus on staying warm. You won't die of starvation overnight, but hypothermia will kill you. I carry a full size axe on my sled, and a small one in my pack, plus a fold up saw.

E-Zmoke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Emergency food, food that can be left in the bag all year that will not go bad. A loud whistle if you don't have one in your survival kit already. Spare pair of moisture wicking socks.

vodoo103

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Found that putting my spare socks in a heavy zip-lock freezer bag works really well.

Add some extra zip-lock bags to keep your wet stuff separated from dry, a few chemical heat packs, pencil flare, and a couple energy bars, spare batteries.

There's also some really good pack saws out there that hardly take up any room.

A few years ago, we had to deal with a broken back and the chopper had a tough time finding us. We shot some flares, but pilot couldn't see them in the middle of a sunny day. Right after that trip, I found an emergency blanket that is foil on one side and bright orange on the other on the advice of the pilot.

Depending on the group I'm riding with, I've also started renting a sat. phone to pack with me. Really cheap to rent from communications group in Red Deer for a week & you only pay for airtime if you have to use it.

Joholio

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Headlamp. Mine is a Petzl. Some rope. And a lighter. And some firestarter. The axe or hatchet mentioned above is something I will prob start packing now...

vodoo103

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Headlamp. Mine is a Petzl. Some rope. And a lighter. And some firestarter. The axe or hatchet mentioned above is something I will prob start packing now...

Forgot about the headlamp - have a petzl also. Flashlight is pretty much useless since it ties up one of your hands.

Skegmeister

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have all as above plus I like the fire starter sticks. They come in packs of 20 and will burn for about 30 mins each. Good if you do not have much wood handy. I also carry a 10X12 orange tarp. If it is brand new it folds up pretty compact. Use for a tent or to drag a sled with a locked up track.

ASSAULTrmk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
All of the above & emergency food, small stove, stove gas & small tin cup to melt snow & I've into water if needed & folding saw for sure 😬

craptabulous

Reaction score
Only thing i can add to this pist is spare gloves and a toque , a chunk of rope even if its only 1/4" is handy .

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wow I thought tp would have been said way sooner ! I will say zip ties and a small tool kit. That stuff may have been said.

007sevens

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I carry what I think I need to survive of course and now I've bought a sat phone from SPOT. I hoping the Pizza gets there before its cold now.

fnDan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Someone was selling a small flint and striker at the sled show a few years ago. I keep one in the small pockets on the avy bag strap. I've thought about packing one of these tube tents.

0neoldfart

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My backpack has the following contents: Bivy sack,2 emergency blankets, magnesium fire starter, a good first aid kit, boullion cubes, homemade parrafin/cardboard stove, windproof & waterproof matches, wool socks, polypro layer from helly hanson, tin cup, hatchet, folding saw, flares, glowsticks, compass, whistle, plastic bags (ziplock & std grocery), rope, tools, duct tape, haywire, needle & thread, granola bars, water, lithium booster pack, flashlight, knife, snarewire, and of course, shovel & probe. A good idea is to take a winter survival course, and first aid - I did mine over the years in the scouting program as a young lad...but there are decent courses available now too.

Top Bottom