Avy Bag Modifications

white6

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey

bought the snowpulse pro rider 10L avy pack last spring.. problem is its designed for storing probes and shovel inside.. im looking to mount them on the outside.. any ideas/suggestions on how i could do that?? has anyone else done this?? little nervous about trying to break the seams in sections so as to add clips/velcro for attaching things.. there are 4 existing hooks on the main flap section of the backpack.. only pic i currently have is the one off of their website..

Attachments

• ProRider%20low%20resol.jpg
    ProRider%20low%20resol.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 187

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I leave the shovel on probe inside so it will always be there in the even I need them....but store another shovel on the sled that is easy to get to for digging "stucks".

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't know about all the SnowPulse models but some you can buy the back cover as they call it for about $75 which changes the packs storage capacity and capabilities. You could see about getting the Prorider 15. I think they just zip on and off.

Call your local Snowpulse dealer to check or I have always had good service form these guys Avalanche Safety Canada | Avalanche Safety Canada

Dave mentioned some good points as well. I think I will add another shovel to my sled this year, if I can mount it well enough somewhere. I do like having external shovel storage on my pack though for those days where you just ride around with the shovel handle already extended because you know more stucks are on the way!

j335

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I leave the shovel on probe inside so it will always be there in the even I need them....but store another shovel on the sled that is easy to get to for digging "stucks".

This is what I do, the sled one takes seconds to get. Don't have to always take off the backpack this way.

LID

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you go cartwheeling or get in a slide, you may lose the shovel and probe off the outside of your pack.

white6

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you go cartwheeling or get in a slide, you may lose the shovel and probe off the outside of your pack.

this i thought about to.. but then why do so many bags get set up like this?

LID

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
this i thought about to.. but then why do so many bags get set up like this?

Because people will still buy them.

Some harness setups are better than others.

Another situation: If you have to duck under a big low branch while climbing through the trees in the deep, the last thing you want is anything that could grab on and throw you off your line. doesn't happen everyday, but why take the chance.

fnDan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I bought a snowpulse at the Calgary show and it came with extra straps with quick release buckles that hook onto the loops. You might be able to use a few straps to cynch the blade to the back and then use some 3M hook & loop (velcro) to attach the handle and probe. If you could find a small cargo net, fold it in half and attach it using the same style hooks it could be tight enough to hold everything in with the straps.
If you can't buy the snowpulse straps separately I would look at Rokstraps. http://www.rokstraps.com/

I wouldn't mess around with any of the seams. Lot of money wasted if the seams run away on you.
I carry a shovel on my sled to dig it out. Pain in the butt to take the pack off when you know it'll be a quick dig.

white6

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I bought a snowpulse at the Calgary show and it came with extra straps with quick release buckles that hook onto the loops. You might be able to use a few straps to cynch the blade to the back and then use some 3M hook & loop (velcro) to attach the handle and probe. If you could find a small cargo net, fold it in half and attach it using the same style hooks it could be tight enough to hold everything in with the straps.
If you can't buy the snowpulse straps separately I would look at Rokstraps. ROK Home

I wouldn't mess around with any of the seams. Lot of money wasted if the seams run away on you.
I carry a shovel on my sled to dig it out. Pain in the butt to take the pack off when you know it'll be a quick dig.

which model snowpulse did you buy? i noticed the highmark 30L came with loops and places to mount everything outside. 3m hook and loop, thanks i had no idea what it was called! ill check that stuff out though. and thats my thought on the seams, dont wanna alter the bags performance or quality.

ya carying the shovel on the sled is starting to sound more and more like a decent idea. i just had been told before its best to keep all gear on you so if you get seperated from the sled your prepared.

Thanks!

white6

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Are those big avy bags hard inthe head to get on and off your shoulders?

this will be my first season with one, so i actually havent geared up with it on yet. but over top of sweaters it hasnt seemed to bad. depends on which bag you get and how heavy/bulky it is i think. i find the 30L packs heavy and awkward.. another reason i liked the 10L for lightweight and slim design. Hoping its not awkward when its geared up

LID

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
....i just had been told before its best to keep all gear on you so if you get seperated from the sled your prepared.

Thanks!

Remember, I think he said TWO shovels. One inside the pack for life and death stuff, one strapped to the sled for digging out stucks.

white6

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yes yes your right.. he did.. letting my fingers get ahead of myself i guess.. oops

thanks for pointing it out.. either way ill have to find a new shovel bc the 1pc folding grizzly that i have wont fit inside i dont think, and it certainly wont fit outside without impacting the bags release

Top Bottom