Avgas

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wondering where everyone is getting there avgas and what there paying for it a litre.

Thanks

jaws

Reaction score
Cardinal aviation villeneuve airport 1.45/ltr...780-459-0952

Rockwerx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Husky at 34st and 76ave used to sell it. If they don't have any barrells they can get it though.

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
that's not bad considering we are paying over a dollar for diesel up here in oil country. WTF is with that.

Rockwerx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I stopped in at the 3515 76ave Husky today and confirmed that they do still sell 100LL avgas. I was not able to get a price today. I was given a name and number to call though. Ask for Kane at 780-413-1826.

cookn

Reaction score
I have being toying with the idea of building a nytro turbo this summer. I was trying to figure out the "total cost" of upgrading from stock and came across this fuel thread. Spoke with a VP sales rep today to price compare c-111 to av-gas. Around $4/L for c-111. Ouch..
The interesting thing though was he claimed av-gas would be detrimental to be used in a boosted sled due to; high rpm, inconsistent rpm, low amounts of lead and that the fuel is stored in vented tanks which degrades the octane level.
Is there merit to his comments??

overkill131313

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have being toying with the idea of building a nytro turbo this summer. I was trying to figure out the "total cost" of upgrading from stock and came across this fuel thread. Spoke with a VP sales rep today to price compare c-111 to av-gas. Around $4/L for c-111. Ouch..
The interesting thing though was he claimed av-gas would be detrimental to be used in a boosted sled due to; high rpm, inconsistent rpm, low amounts of lead and that the fuel is stored in vented tanks which degrades the octane level.
Is there merit to his comments??

the key to your info was he is a VP sales rep........that says it all...yes my Turbo Apex runs better on VP than av gas but for the price difference...I will run the av gas......as for the degraded octane that is a joke.....Avation is more strick than DOT......the truck that hauls Av gas can only be used for av gas so there is Zero contamination.......in the gas station they use the same pump to dispence all the gas....reg and prem.....WTF is up with that.....94 chevron uses a seperate pump.......is VP really worth $4 a liter? really? I used to make my own fuel years ago that had 110 octane and was alot cheaper........

Rockwerx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the key to your info was he is a VP sales rep........that says it all...yes my Turbo Apex runs better on VP than av gas but for the price difference...I will run the av gas......as for the degraded octane that is a joke.....Avation is more strick than DOT......the truck that hauls Av gas can only be used for av gas so there is Zero contamination.......in the gas station they use the same pump to dispence all the gas....reg and prem.....WTF is up with that.....94 chevron uses a seperate pump.......is VP really worth $4 a liter? really? I used to make my own fuel years ago that had 110 octane and was alot cheaper........

I agree that you can run more power with some VP fuels, but by running slightly less power AV gas will work very well in many machines, in many different combinations. What mix did you use to make 110 octane fuel?

I like to bring fuel for our toys with us but sometimes we stay longer and run out of fuel...it would be nice to know what to bring to mix up some higher octane fuels. In the past I was fortunate to purchase some AV gas at local airports where we were riding... made some tuning adjustments and we were able to keep riding for a few more days. :)

overkill131313

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree that you can run more power with some VP fuels, but by running slightly less power AV gas will work very well in many machines, in many different combinations. What mix did you use to make 110 octane fuel?

I like to bring fuel for our toys with us but sometimes we stay longer and run out of fuel...it would be nice to know what to bring to mix up some higher octane fuels. In the past I was fortunate to purchase some AV gas at local airports where we were riding... made some tuning adjustments and we were able to keep riding for a few more days. :)

oh my good...I just spent an hour writing a reply on how to make fuel and I just lost it all lol......well not funny........I will work on it again tonight but mix 50-50 xylene with 100 LL makes 109 octane for $1.80 a liter (aprox) plus I used to put in 25 oz of diesel and 3 oz of ATF in ever gallon (aprox) to the mixture....cleaner and lubercation.......C12 is only 108 octain for $4 a liter. not going to get into a pissing match with guys that say this will not work......it worked for me for years and as my daily driver (Buick grand national) at 18-19 PSI....I ran 5 gallons of 94 chevron with 3 gallons of Xylene (and ATF and Diesel) for 100 000 miles with zero problems.... and 50-50 at the track at 25 PSI

Last edited:

4x4racing

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anybody heard about this? It's been around for quite a few years. Some of the prices may be off but you get the idea. Some of these items can be found at your local paint store, lowes , home depot, etc...

Formula #1 - Toluene
R+M/2.........114 octane
Cost...........$2.50/gal
Mixtures with 92 Octane Premium
10%...........94.2 Octane
20%...........96.4 Octane
30%...........98.6 Octane
Notes: Common ingredient in Octane Boosters in a can. 12-16 ounces will only raise octane 2-3 *points*, i.e. from 92 to 92.3. Often costs $3-5 for 12-16 ounces, when it can be purchased for less than $3/gal at chemical supply houses or paint stores.

Formula #2 - Xylene
R+M/2.........117 octane
Cost...........$2.75/gal
10%...........94.5 Octane
20%...........97.0 Octane
30%...........99.5 Octane
Notes: Similar to Toluene. 12-16 ounces will only raise octane 2-3 *points*, i.e. from 92 to 92.3. Usually mixed with Toluene and advertised as *race formula*.

Formula #3 - Methyl-tertiary-butyl-ether (MTBE)
R+M/2.........118
Cost...........$3.50/gal
10%...........94.6 Octane
20%...........97.2 Octane
30%...........99.8 Octane
Notes: Oxygenate. Very common in octane booster products. Has lower BTU content than toluene or xylene, but oxygenate effect makes the gasoline burn better and produce more energy.

Formula #4 - Methanol or Ethanol
R+M/2.........101
Cost...........$0.60 - $1.75/gal
10%...........94.3 Octane (Methanol)
10%...........94.7 Octane (Ethanol)
20%...........Not Recommended
Notes: Methanol is wood alcohol. Ethanol is grain alcohol and found in Gasohol in 10% ratios. Both alcohols are mildly corrosive and will eat gas tank linings, rubber and aluminum if used in excessive ratios. Main ingredient in "Gas Dryers", combine with water.

Formula #5 - Isopropyl Alcohol and Tertiary Butyl Alcohol
R+M/2.........101
Cost...........$0.60-$1.50/gal
30%...........Not Recommended

Notes: Similar to Methanol/Ethanol. Isopropyl Alcohol is simply rubbing alcohol.

Sample Mixture
To make your own octane booster, it is easiest to make up a large batch, and then bottle it up in "dosage-size" uses.
Below is the basic formula of one of the popular octane booster products. To make eight 16 ounce bottles (128 oz = 1 gal):

100 oz of toluene for octane boost
25 oz of mineral spirits (cleaning agent)
3 oz of transmission fluid (lubricating agent)
This product is advertised as "octane booster with cleaning agent *and* lubricating agent!". Diesel fuel or kerosene can be substituted for mineral spirits and light turbine oil can be substituted for transmission fluid. Color can be added with petroleum dyes.

The trans fluid could be substituted for Marvel Mystery Oil
There is some debate about the mineral spirits being used.

overkill131313

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anybody heard about this? It's been around for quite a few years. Some of the prices may be off but you get the idea. Some of these items can be found at your local paint store, lowes , home depot, etc...

Formula #1 - Toluene
R+M/2.........114 octane
Cost...........$2.50/gal
10%...........94.2 Octane
20%...........96.4 Octane
30%...........98.6 Octane
Notes: Common ingredient in Octane Boosters in a can. 12-16 ounces will only raise octane 2-3 *points*, i.e. from 92 to 92.3. Often costs $3-5 for 12-16 ounces, when it can be purchased for less than $3/gal at chemical supply houses or paint stores.

Formula #2 - Xylene
R+M/2.........117 octane
Cost...........$2.75/gal
20%...........97.0 Octane
30%...........99.5 Octane
Notes: Similar to Toluene. 12-16 ounces will only raise octane 2-3 *points*, i.e. from 92 to 92.3. Usually mixed with Toluene and advertised as *race formula*.

Formula #3 - Methyl-tertiary-butyl-ether (MTBE)
R+M/2.........118
Cost...........$3.50/gal
10%...........94.6 Octane
20%...........97.2 Octane
30%...........99.8 Octane
Notes: Oxygenate. Very common in octane booster products. Has lower BTU content than toluene or xylene, but oxygenate effect makes the gasoline burn better and produce more energy.

Formula #4 - Methanol or Ethanol
R+M/2.........101
Cost...........$0.60 - $1.75/gal
10%...........94.3 Octane (Methanol)
10%...........94.7 Octane (Ethanol)
Notes: Methanol is wood alcohol. Ethanol is grain alcohol and found in Gasohol in 10% ratios. Both alcohols are mildly corrosive and will eat gas tank linings, rubber and aluminum if used in excessive ratios. Main ingredient in "Gas Dryers", combine with water.

Formula #5 - Isopropyl Alcohol and Tertiary Butyl Alcohol
R+M/2.........101
Cost...........$0.60-$1.50/gal
30%...........Not Recommended

Notes: Similar to Methanol/Ethanol. Isopropyl Alcohol is simply rubbing alcohol.

Sample Mixture
To make your own octane booster, it is easiest to make up a large batch, and then bottle it up in "dosage-size" uses.
Below is the basic formula of one of the popular octane booster products. To make eight 16 ounce bottles (128 oz = 1 gal):

100 oz of toluene for octane boost
25 oz of mineral spirits (cleaning agent)
3 oz of transmission fluid (lubricating agent)
This product is advertised as "octane booster with cleaning agent *and* lubricating agent!". Diesel fuel or kerosene can be substituted for mineral spirits and light turbine oil can be substituted for transmission fluid. Color can be added with petroleum dyes.

The trans fluid could be substituted for Marvel Mystery Oil
There is some debate about the mineral spirits being used.

like I said up top....I ran up to 50% toluene or zylene and worked great for high boost in my car. might have to pull out the old formulas and start making race fuel again...... my common mixture was 3 gallons of zylene to 5 gallons of 94 wich was 45% zylene (I think) worked great.... might have to mix some for the sled......I just dont have a knock gauge to see what it is doing! I know the octane will be good so it should be good! anyone run this in a turbo apex? prices are out 4x4 racing.....last time I bought xylene is was about $10 a gallon (4.54 liters) but still alot cheaper than VP! chevron uses this to up there 91 to 94! so it is proven that it works!

Last edited:

TimG

Reaction score
$1.46 at the Westlock airport. You have to have a tail #, but that's no big deal. Get one off your airplane-owning buddy (or pm me). Pay at pump, too, get it anytime- 24/7/365. For me, it's actually more convenient than getting premium!

I did hear stories of $1.20/L, though. Don't remember where it was from, but it sure would be nice.

Top Bottom