Avalanche transciever

Slamnek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have been reading on all the beacons out there for the past month. There are comparisons online with most of them and i have come to the conclusion that they all work well if you know how to use them. There are digital and analog beacons and most people are goin to the newer digital ones as they have up to 3 anntennas and can read multiple burials. I am gonna buy the DTS tracker. Its digital, 2 anntenas and a decent price.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have the SOS with sled bug. you will be able to find your sled if it gets buried, I would recommend the snow bug transciever as it tuns on batteries and will last for 300 + hrs, sled bug quits when your sled shuts off.
The sos trans is definitly the longest range reciever bar none. I have tested this against other " high tech Machines" and found it will pick up a signal 90m +. don't be fooled by the sales hype of digital beacons, they work good but may not always work the best. Get some training. Practice

without training and practice no digital beacon will perform as to the sales hype. finding out how to use beacon during an avalanche will be to late for you or your buddy.

bca tracker works well, although without training close up searching is trial and error, until you practice with it. I use the kiss principle (KEEP IT SIMPLE STUPID) .

Taz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I posted this on another thread I guess this would be a what not to buy answer.:nono:

I've just purchased two of the new Barryvox PULSE transceivers, and both have the same major design fault!

To turn them on the on on/off button is pulled sideways, and is meant to lock into 'send' and can then in theory only be turned off by pushing it AND the off button down together and then moving the whole switch to off.

However on both my units the device goes into send mode and does it's self test, the led blinks and it issues 3 beeps to say 'I'm OK' before the switch has moved far enough to be locked into the send position, and thus at any time a gentle nudge on the switch turns the device BACK OFF!!! (Tumbling in an avalanche? Reaching into an inside pocket? Falling ? etc.)

Has anyone else bought one of these transceivers this year and if so does yours have the same fault?

I consider this to be extraordinarily dangerous, surely the device should only indicate it is turned on and transmitting when the button is locked into SEND, and will be returning both my newly purchased units to the Escape Route here in Whistler as being unfit for use.

I see a scenario where someone is found dead with their transceiver off.... Silly fool everyone says, why on earth have a transceiver and not turn it on??? But it was 'on' and transmitting as far as the poor dead guy was concerned. It just turned off as he was tumblin' due to an appallingly designed on/off switch.

cobbycat

Reaction score
all beacons are different, I can't reccomend one for you. my advice is to rent/borrow all different ones and do searches with each one and see which one works best for YOU. I recently took an avy course and tried all of the beacons on the market. I was quite supprised when I was fastest with my old SOS beacon.

mtnluvr

Reaction score
Just looked at the ortovox S1 and it looks very good and user friendly. more expensivethan the rest but could make life very easy. I'm getting one. Check it out!

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Beacons are a lot of hype this winter and rightfully so! Now, not being an alarmist, and the odds are slim, but the second/third/fourth avalanche is a question with some beacons.

They need to automatically switch to transmit if you are buried searching for a buddy. The Tracker does this if set properly (a little reading and some serious practise), the SOS doesn't.....

I don't pretend to be an expert and practise often but I do not know about this feature with the other beacons out there. Check it out....

summit889

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just looked at the ortovox S1 and it looks very good and user friendly. more expensivethan the rest but could make life very easy. I'm getting one. Check it out!

That's the one i just bought.

Catcaller

Reaction score
I have a Pieps beacon, It works really well and very easy to use, little on the expensive side, depends what your looking for though.

99summitx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Beacons are a lot of hype this winter and rightfully so! Now, not being an alarmist, and the odds are slim, but the second/third/fourth avalanche is a question with some beacons.

They need to automatically switch to transmit if you are buried searching for a buddy. The Tracker does this if set properly (a little reading and some serious practise), the SOS doesn't.....

I don't pretend to be an expert and practise often but I do not know about this feature with the other beacons out there. Check it out....

Good point, I have the DTS and always set it to change to transmit, it is so simple to do, just hold the red button when it's turned on and thats it. I find the dts easy to use and quick. Always rember the electronic field it's never a strait line to the target.

Grizzly4323

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Recently purchased Ortovox S1. One of the more expensive units but has ease of operation and very quick when needed. Very well built and includes a good harness strap.

catsass

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just got an Ortovox S1 very quick and easy to use and has a few nice extras like the compass, angle measurement, thermometer and the others.

Iron Horse Racing

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well so far the survey says.......

4 votes for DTS Tracker
4 votes for Ortovox S1
2 votes SOS
1 vote BCA Tracker
1 vote Pieps
1 vote Mammut

Lots of good tips....Thanks...Am planning on taking the Avy course and like the advice on practicing.....and have 4 kids to bury to practice with...lol

99summitx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well so far the survey says.......

4 votes for DTS Tracker
4 votes for Ortovox S1
2 votes SOS
1 vote BCA Tracker
1 vote Pieps
1 vote Mammut

Lots of good tips....Thanks...Am planning on taking the Avy course and like the advice on practicing.....and have 4 kids to bury to practice with...lol

The BCA and DTS are the same unit BCA is company and DTS is the model so 5 votes

glengine

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I vote for the tracker also.. It is very simple to use and they have been making the digital beacons for the longest time, as they were th first ones to make a full digital beacon..

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
BCA Tracker is promoted as very good receiver for a novice. The main problem is when the receiver is within 5 m of the transmitter, a novice will usually get confused with the receiver jumping around between direction and distance. With proper training and alot of practice you learn to ignore the direction display. BCA works well with an experienced operator, but still has it's own set of problems.
I own both the bca and sos units, and still prefer the sos overall, as for the bca being faster, give me a break. experienced operator maybe, novice good luck.

Iron Horse Racing

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the info....

It looks like the survey syas

1) DTS Tracker
2) Ortovox S1

Was reading an artical about the Traker 2 and it said it should be out by now sounded like it had some updates to the tried and true Tracker....

Top Bottom