Avalanche Training...

F5_Z06

Reaction score
I'm new to the mountain scene and from what I've read the AST1 training is an extremely good thing to have as bare minimum for avalanche training. I have no problem paying for the training, but I'm having difficulty finding courses that work with my schedule till probably January.. Is there anyone that offers it besides zacs tracs, trigger or hangfire?

I just picked up a '14 m8000 and I'm really horny to get out on the mountains for the first time and I can't wait another two months.

briguy99

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm new to the mountain scene and from what I've read the AST1 training is an extremely good thing to have as bare minimum for avalanche training. I have no problem paying for the training, but I'm having difficulty finding courses that work with my schedule till probably January.. Is there anyone that offers it besides zacs tracs, trigger or hangfire?

I just picked up a '14 m8000 and I'm really horny to get out on the mountains for the first time and I can't wait another two months.

Providers : Avalanche Skills Training : Training : Canadian Avalanche Centre : avalanche.ca

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Talk to Curtis from VARDA or his name is Depensoler (check spelling) on here, he does Avy courses.

Last edited:

lsone

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
New rider to the mountains as well here. I did the hangfire AST1 course at Cycleworks in Edmonton. Great course. Lots of stupid things that a guy learns and its burned into my brain now. The stories are eye openers.

norona

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.noronalife.com

Any great guide will gladly do a private or a clinic for a few buddies, as they get paid the same and then you get a course better suited to you....as long as they are not busy during that time, most of them will be very accommodating...just ask! And yes no one should be in the mountains on sleds, skis or boards without having this under their belt.

snowho

Reaction score
I have completed three AST courses over the years first one was in Whistler which was very informal but the best. A very close second was through the U of C both were very informative. Then I also did a " sled specific" one and in a word it was terrible. The class room session was at a motorcycle shop in Calgary which was not very conducive for instruction and the field session was a few weeks later in Golden and I felt that we were very rushed. Even though this was a sled specific course the instructor did not have very good things to say about snowmobilers especially Albertans.

Top Bottom