avalanche kit

ccharp

Reaction score
hey everyone. I am new to bc and came from the prairies. What all do I need to sled safely in mountains? Is there anywhere around Fort St John to sled that is really close?

SledMamma

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
To ride safely you need lotsa things. Start with common sense. Shovel, Probe and Backpack are a must-- but you need to know how to use them, so look for an AST1 (avalanche safety training course) in your area ASAP. Check the Canadian Avalance Centre Website for the latest bulletins on conditions. Next, you need a buddy to sled with. NEVER go alone.

These are the BARE MINIMUMS. You need survival and first aid gear as well and you need to know how to use them. Use the SEARCH button on this site to find some good threads about what to pack, etc., Keep asking questions, and even when you get some azz hat who ridicules you on here for not knowing already- don't be discouraged. There are some people on here who remember what its like to be a newbie.

Have fun and be safe.

Try Hasler Flats, Tumbler Ridge, Chetwynd and Pine Pass for areas that are relatively close...

MATTIAC

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i know hangfire is putting on AST-1 in feb, one course is 13/14 then the other is 26/27 which im attending, they are in Golden. $ 309 bucks.

if you are in areas that can slide, then ya like mentioned above,

1- Beacon. I have the Ortovox 3+, pieps is also another good brand. but the key is knowing how to use it. they come with a chest strap, best place to keep it on your person. not in your pockets 200-400 bucks roughly

2-Shovel. nice folding shovel or removable handle for storage, to be kept in your back pack, not on the sled. some have saws in the handle, some have probes 50-100 bucks

3-probe. to many out there to pin point, one thats light and opens quick is nice. 50-100 bucks

4-back pack. most riders are going with the avalanche inflatable backpacks. if your not familiar with them, they have compressed air or nitrogen in a tank, and upon pulling your handle to inflate, large balloons blow up and are designed to keep you a float during an avalanche. the 3 major brands are Snow Pulse, which is what I use, ABS and BCA. prices range from 650 for BCA to 1200 for ABS/Snow Pulse.

5-SPOT. sends a pre written text message and email to up to 10 people. you can check in saying you ok, you can press help to show you have a broken sled or something, or there is SOS that dispatches the authorities of your GPS coordinates in the event of life and death or very serious troubles. very handy to have since cell service is limited in the mountains. I use it to check in with my wife while im riding. about 150 bucks plus 100 dollar yearly subscription. some will argue it doesnt work as well as a SAT phone, which they are right, but its a fraction of the cost.

6-GPS its easy to get turned around in limited visibility, or if its snowing and your tracks get covered up. I always turn mine on, to track my ride in so i can get out if i become separated from the group of riders who might know the area better then me.

these are the key safety items you want or need to ride the mountains. some will argue you dont need 5 or 6 which is true, but i like to have them, small and take up very little room in my pack. hope this helps

ccharp

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I will have to pick that stuff up and take the avalanche course. If guys laugh cause I don't know they must know everything lol. Thanks again

Klingon Warrior

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I will have to pick that stuff up and take the avalanche course. If guys laugh cause I don't know they must know everything lol. Thanks again

There is nothing laughable about riding in Avalanche terrain, as mentioned above, all the gear is extremely important, Education, Education, Education,,,
learn about the terrain, Learn about the gear and learn how to use it !!!
When you do, you will have some of the best times of your life riding in the mountains !! Common Sense, If it doesn't feel right trust your gut instinct and move on, but Mother Nature holds the trump card. Anyone that thinks they know everything are usually the ones we have to extend condolences to their families,,

Polarblu

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
High performance motor sports in FSJ can hook you up with your gear, with a pack for a great price. They can also get you in touch with the northland trailblazer club. Dont worry about the SPOT GPS or blow-up doll, that stuff comes later. Someone in the club will be able to lend you another beacon for practice purposes, get someone to throw it in the bush and go find it. There is some very decent riding right around town after a good dump.

my mod

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
All this advice is good, but one very important thing. Make sure you ride with people with the same commitment as you. If you spend all this money and time, you will be able to save your buddies, but if you happen to be the unfortunate one that gets in an avalance, Will they be trained to save you?
If you buy good equipment and they have garbage or no equipment, trade your equipment with them for the day so they have the good stuff to save you. If they really don't care and have crap or no equipment, make sure you have their stuff to save them. It won't take long and they will want to make sure you have the good equipment and training so you can save them.
Training is important like everyone else has said. If you know and understand the signs, you will stay away from dangerous area's or at least reduce the risk as much as possible so the equipment will never be needed.

Last edited:

MATTIAC

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree. No matter how good you are goes out the window when your the one burried and your friends are NOT prepared like you were. Good gear good training I push on all my riding buddies.

jhsummit

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.jhactivities.com
These are all great posts ccharp! Take them all seriously and start checking in on the avy forecasts and observation websites on a daily basis so you know the history of the snowpack. Super important to know the history of the snowpack. Only go out with people you trust and that you KNOW can use there avy gear. Don't be afraid to ask them if they know how to use there chit either.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Before you take the AST1 course you can doo two things: register for a daily avalanche bulletin for your area to be sent to your email and take a look at this ..Online Avalanche Course : Training : Canadian Avalanche Centre : avalanche.ca

The daily bulletin is available from...Canadian Avalanche Centre : avalanche.ca. If you read it everyday, as said above, you will begin to know the snow pack on the different aspects. The second one is an online avi course and although it is not a substitute for the AST1, it will get you started in the right direction.

Both of these will get you introduced to the concepts and some of the technical information.

Good luck and happy sledding, fs

Top Bottom