Avalanche Course Feb 22,2009, Fort Saskatchawan

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
Zacs Tracs and SnowandMud.com are pleased to announce an AVALANCHE COURSE being held in Fort Saskatchewan on Feb 22, 2009

AST 1 Classroom sessions – 8 hr minimum

It is possible to participate in the classroom only and take the field session at a later date.

The AST Level 1 is considered the minimum level of training that backcountry riders should have. The AST 1 is an excellent introduction to avalanche terrain recognition skills, snowpack theory, rescue skills and overall risk management…
CLICK HERE FOR MORE INFO

Sunday, February 22, 2009
Meeting Location: Lakeview Inn and Suites
10115 88 Avenue
Fort Saskatchewan, AB T8L 4K1‎
(780) 998-7888‎
Time: 9:00am – 5:30pm

IMPORTANT Please bring $20 cash for lunch, beverages and snacks.
There is a course video that we will watch over the lunch hour.

For the full information please go here

As a member of Snowandmud.com you will qualify for the group discount, just mention that when registering. You must pay and register for this course in advance, and please register quick as it will fill up fast.

Last edited:

Zacs

Supporting Vendors
Reaction score
Website
www.zacstracs.com
Hello all,
Glad to hear all the chat about the avy courses. Zac's is pleased to work with Snow and Mud, CC Cycle of Westlock, and Rec-Tech Power Products of Barrhead to bring this class to the Fort!

For a link to the general classroom details please follow this link:

For general field session details please follow this link:

153.jpg

Riders that are linked to Snow and Mud, CC Cycle or Rec-Tech qualify for the group rate of $294. Standard price is $350. This includes the classroom session in Fort Saskatchewan and a field session in Valemount or Golden. To see what field dates are available, please follow this link:

- the Lakeview Inn has requested that I confirm group numbers asap in order to confirm the meeting room size.

95.jpg

(Photo credit to Alan Harder)
- Second reason to sign up early; these will be our last field sessions for the season. Field sessions are available on a first come, first served basis.
It is super important to complete the field sessions with your riding groups as rescue is all about functioning as a team with good skills and knowledge of each other's strengths and weaknesses. Figure out who in your group is an asset, who is a liability and who is just an ass!
Besides, it is a fun day and a good excuse to get to the mountains. We have discounted rates at local hotels.

It is also an option to complete the classroom session only. $150 including taxes and course materials.
Field sessions can be completed in future years.

Questions?? Just hit reply. Take care and we'll see you there!

crazy_wheeler

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If I'm in town and not working can I get into the course if there is room? Unfortunately it would be a last minute thing.

caddy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Took this corse on the weekend in Grande Prairie and it was VERY helpful.Was surprising how many people own beacons and don't know how to use them.:eek:All of the team was awesome and i will recomend this course to anyone who owns a sled and loves to ride!:d

sirzones

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I second that Caddy. Great course to take.
Dont assume you know how to use your beacon,get out there and practice.
More people need to take this course to stay safe.:beer::d:snowmobilers_wave:

stickman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Was also in the GP course, highly recommend you and your riding partners need to invest your time and take the course. Lori & Randy do an excellent job explaining how to read the snow conditions before you hit the hill. You need this information in your "toolbox" before you get on your sled.
Thanks Lori, Randy, Carol, Peter and all the others who helped out at GP/Kakwa. It was a real eye opener. Hopefully I never have to use the technics we learned at the course, but I'm glad me and my riding partners now have some knowledge on how to react if the time ever comes.

Stickman

bbtoys

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Most of us think we know how to use our beacon's but the course teaches you alot more than that. I have found that the best thing it has taught me is that when you get involved in a seach it keeps you focused and calm and able to become a leader. The pay off is when you dig that person out and you did it in a timely and orderly manner and he is able to walk away.
Days later you will reflect back on that exercise and realize that you most likely could not have done it if not for the course.
Thanks for your time.

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
278 Views, Im quite suprised. I thought this would be a more popular topic that it has been.
The course numbers look quite low, if your thinking about going, don't think, register now, Lori just called me to see if we can get the registrations up. Or I guess everyone that rides the mountains has allready taken the course.:confused:

Murminator

Timber King
Reaction score
Do we have to book the trining and the mountian coarse at the same time thats where I'm stuck right now

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
Do we have to book the training and the mountian coarse at the same time thats where I'm stuck right now

No, but Its cheaper to pay for both. You can even go next year for the field.

We only have 19 people so far, with all the avy deaths this year im suprised the turnout is so low. I thought the awareness was much higher. I guess im wrong.:confused:

The course is this Sunday. We need registrations now not on thursday.

BIGFOOT

Reaction score
We only have 19 people so far, with all the avy deaths this year im suprised the turnout is so low. I thought the awareness was much higher. I guess im wrong.:confused:

:eek:... You can back off the throttle a bit... Some of us working OUT of TOWN ! I would of cared to attend... Butts the work thing for Now ! Thks for the opportunity. :):beer:

Top Bottom