Avalanche Bags

Reaction score
I've only been riding for about a year now in the mountains and I've always borrowed other people's backpacks.
I've decided that I'm loving this sport and get out often enough that I should finally get my own backpack and probably it be an Avalanche Bag.
But there are just so many and I'm completely lost at which one to choose! Especially with the avalanche bags are so bulky and heavy.
So to all you lady riders out there it would be awesome to get some feed back on what you wear and like or recommend for avalanche bags!

Thanks!!!

polarisdragon800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How much do you want to spend is the determining factor. How much storage do you need?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Fit and function is most important for me.
I'd prefer to not go over $800 but again if it's a few pounds lighter or smaller...might be worth it!
I ride with a tunnel bag, so most of my water, food and extra stuff goes in that.
So I don't need a lot of storage, just for my shovel, probe, and a few little things like a water bottle and camera.

MATTIAC

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Bca makes the least expensive packs. 650-750 range I believe. I run a snowpulse. Also each manufacture has different cargo sizes to cater to how much gear you want to carry or how weight you want. If you carry all your stuff in a tunnel bag maybe just a avy vest by snow pulse is all you need. Light weight ! But running around 1200 bucks I think. ABS SnowPulse and BCA are your top 3 bag makers. Each with their own unique characteristic. Best advice I can give is try each on to see which you like the feel and fit and finish. I know you can also buy used bags that are mint. Check the classifieds on this site.

Barry Barton

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've only been riding for about a year now in the mountains and I've always borrowed other people's backpacks.
I've decided that I'm loving this sport and get out often enough that I should finally get my own backpack and probably it be an Avalanche Bag.
But there are just so many and I'm completely lost at which one to choose! Especially with the avalanche bags are so bulky and heavy.
So to all you lady riders out there it would be awesome to get some feed back on what you wear and like or recommend for avalanche bags!

Thanks!!!
Been in the mountains about 9 yrs now and we would only ride in ares we no real well but now we are going to go back a little farther so we bought snow pulse backpacks . They cost a little more but whats your life worth so I just bought the best in my eyes, plus do not keep all your food in a tunnel bag because if the sled goes of a cliff and u can't get to it and u have to walk out all your food is on the sled. I carry my day riding food in a tunnel bag I got this year and my first aid and survival food stays in my back pack this way I always have food with me. Its good to see more women riding, my daughter and son always ride with me and it's rare to see women riders.

polarisdragon800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Their was a good deal on ABS packs last weekend at the sled show. BCA bags defiantly are priced lower, I'd look into them or try to find a used one of the 3 brands mentioned. I use a ABS freeride 15L, I really like it.

Reaction score
Their was a good deal on ABS packs last weekend at the sled show. BCA bags defiantly are priced lower, I'd look into them or try to find a used one of the 3 brands mentioned. I use a ABS freeride 15L, I really like it.

Ya we were there last weekend and should have got serious and taken a good look at all of them, but we were having to much fun!

cokecrazed007

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Check out bca new models they have redesigned the float 22 and it is super lite. Also the float 32 is a nice pack.

Sent from my SGH-I717D using Tapatalk 2

white6

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
go after one of the big 3 like others said. If your concerned about weight and fit then try to stay in there small sizes like the 15-20L bags. It really is all about fit on your person. I bought my first bag (snowpulse 10L) and it was a great size, could keep a fair amount in it (which i soon learned i did not want to bc heavy) but after riding in the mtns with it for 2 years I didnt like the fit for my riding style etc. So now i've picked up a used abs 4L which is ultra light but also ultra slim on the storage which I'm hoping I dont miss. Keep the essentials on your person at all times, so probes shovel spare gloves and emerg food / medical supplies. You do really need to take the time to go try them on, new you'll be in a squeeze to get one for $800 but like others pointed out several mint used bags or even over stock you can find for good price. Thats how I ended up with my snowpulse, year end sale.

kimrick

RIP Fellow Sledder
Reaction score

X2 on this backpack. Will not restrict head movement if you pull your bag and are still trying to ride out of a situation

Reaction score
go after one of the big 3 like others said. If your concerned about weight and fit then try to stay in there small sizes like the 15-20L bags. It really is all about fit on your person. I bought my first bag (snowpulse 10L) and it was a great size, could keep a fair amount in it (which i soon learned i did not want to bc heavy) but after riding in the mtns with it for 2 years I didnt like the fit for my riding style etc. So now i've picked up a used abs 4L which is ultra light but also ultra slim on the storage which I'm hoping I dont miss. Keep the essentials on your person at all times, so probes shovel spare gloves and emerg food / medical supplies. You do really need to take the time to go try them on, new you'll be in a squeeze to get one for $800 but like others pointed out several mint used bags or even over stock you can find for good price. Thats how I ended up with my snowpulse, year end sale.

Thanks! That is awesome advice. I agree about having only the essentials to keep the weight down and a nice fit. I checked out BCA yesterday at a dealer's open house. The Float22 seemed ok, but it seemed more for skiers. So I might have to up the budget...or wait out for a deal

Sledpiggy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you have only been riding the mountains for about a year, IMO I would spend that money on a good avalanche course. Go out and learn what conditions and slopes to avoid, etc. Then get a bag after you have a good knowledge of conditions. The bag won't save u when your banging off rocks and trees. The point of sledding is too have fun, be safe and if you know what to avoid in the first place then you come home in one piece. Happy sledding!

cokecrazed007

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks! That is awesome advice. I agree about having only the essentials to keep the weight down and a nice fit. I checked out BCA yesterday at a dealer's open house. The Float22 seemed ok, but it seemed more for skiers. So I might have to up the budget...or wait out for a deal

There is a guy on slowest that can get the bca at a really good price. PM me if you want his contact info. Also the with the float 22 did you get a chance to look at the new designed float 22 or was the dealer showing old stock.

Sent from my SGH-I717D using Tapatalk 2

Reaction score
Hey everyone, just to give an update, I finally decided on and purchased an ABS Vario air bag. Tried it out this last weekend and it feels awesome on my shoulders and doesn't restrict my movement. I had also tried out the new float 22 Throttle as well but it felt like there was a box with sharp edges jabbing into my shoulder blades. It just didn't fit me as snuggly as the ABS in my shoulders and down my back. So Merry Christmas to me! And thanks for all the advice! :xmas2004_15:

GYMBRAT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, just to give an update, I finally decided on and purchased an ABS Vario air bag. Tried it out this last weekend and it feels awesome on my shoulders and doesn't restrict my movement. I had also tried out the new float 22 Throttle as well but it felt like there was a box with sharp edges jabbing into my shoulder blades. It just didn't fit me as snuggly as the ABS in my shoulders and down my back. So Merry Christmas to me! And thanks for all the advice! :xmas2004_15:

How much did ya spend and did ya find a brand new one? Oh and grats on your xmas gift to you haha. :)

Top Bottom