Avalanche Awareness Rant

palerider57

Reaction score
I generally don't rant on here, but here goes.....

I was riding Allen Creek December 28 with my two adult kids. We are AST trained. Went down to Avalanche Alley and staged for one-at-a-time. Groups of 4 to 6 riders would roll right on by us ignoring our place in line and ride nose-to-tail through the slot, coming from both directions. Many of the crazy's had no backpacks or equipment of any sort, and they were not all rental sleds either. We watched for 15 minutes and refused to get caught in the foolishness. I tried to stop and educate one group but I was ignored. A second group of obviously AST trained riders came along and staged. They got one rider through until another group jumped the queue and blew past them. We said screw it and turned around.

There are obviously still way to many riders that need training.

Catman13

Reaction score
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1454904198.218277.jpg

niner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There was a group climbing it yesterday. Just seen the tracks on the hill didn't see the riders.

Roy Maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think even some that are trained get wrapped up in the moment, get impatient or forget their training and Avalanche Alley is a perfect example. Even when you cannot see a group on the other side of the slide path if everyone follows their training the most that can be exposed to that slope at any given time are two riders. If a couple of groups come through from each side at the same time that are not following the training you could have sixteen or more exposed to that slope and hence much greater chance of multiple burials that can end up being multiple fatalities where a number of those were completely preventable. If they are thinking the avy gear will save them when they ride through Avalanche Alley in groups they need to think again because if that slope let's loose with a slab avalanche high on the face with even a one metre crown the trauma will get you before those who were patient can dig you out. Some times better to be a little patient and protect your family from having to endure that dreaded visit from the police.

Top Bottom