Avalanche air bags

alberta chad

Reaction score
Looking at purchasing a new avalanche back pack. Looking for everyone's opinion on what they use, what they like, and why?

Sent from my iPad using

SummitX509

Reaction score
I just purchased a Snowpulse Highmark Prime. I have not deployed the air bag yet. It is an RAS so I had to try that. Very easy to remove, install and repack. Lots of storage room and fits good.

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've owned or worn Snowpulse, ABS, and BCA over the last few years. I hate wearing a pack at the best of times, so I'm using the Snowpulse vest now because it's the most comfortable I've found to wear. My personal preference in a pack is still BCA or Snowpulse because I can refill the cylinders myself from a scuba tank. They all work on the same principle of physics, so try them all on and see what feels the best to you.

SummitX509

Reaction score
I just purchased a Snowpulse Highmark Prime. I have not deployed the air bag yet. It is an RAS so I had to try that. Very easy to remove, install and repack. Lots of storage room and fits good.

Rob Alford likes Snowpulse.

DooDoo

Reaction score
I recently purchased an ABS bag. I looked at all of the different bags and didn't really have a preference going into it. The reason I ended up going with the ABS was due to the flexibility with it. Other bags you pay $700+ for and you get a bag thats one size. What I liked with the ABS was that you could change your pack size for around $130 just by zipping on a new one, not purchasing and entire new system. Thats just my opinion I hope it helps.

alberta chad

Reaction score
Thanks everyone. I went with the snowpulse 30 litre guide. Seams to be okay so far. No complaints.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BirdieO

Reaction score
... They all work on the same principle of physics, so try them all on and see what feels the best to you.

This is actually a bit inaccurate...ABS uses a completely different system than any other bag on the market and their technology is definitely a step ahead. No other manufacturer uses this state of the art technology that is proven to stand up against the freeze/thaw cycles we see in mountain riding. ABS has designed a system that uses a pyrotechnic-pneumatic activation…in layman’s terms…it’s a nitrogen charged cannister that when set off by the piercing unit, inflates the bagS in 2-3 seconds. All the other manufacturers use a cable type system and rely solely on ambient air for filling their bag.

I agree...try them on, see what feels the best and is the lightest weight for you :)

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I wear an ABS and have for the last five years and love it,I just won a snow pulse at the mm event and got it home and checked it all out, very nice and lite with enough storage but not as much as my ABS. I like it but will stick with my ABS and my wife apparently likes it more cause it really wasn't my choice lol. Both very nice IMO. :beer:

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Picked up the snowpulse vest at ASS this weekend in Golden and love it, super comfortable. Forget you even have it on compared to a backpack.

SLEDBUNNYRACING

Bad Bunny
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.sledbunnyracing.com
BCA wearer here. Had my first generation 30l stolen and replaced them with two new 32L. Did my first ride this past weekend and son and myself found them to be very comfortable and lighter (than previous ones). Will be test firing both this week as we didn't have time before taking off to Mountain Mania in Golden (probably not the best call).

Went back to them cause they always fired on test runs including after being stored at -25. Really like that I can get them refilled at paintball place.

Just my two cents of feed back.

Sent from my phone ---- is anyone listening ?

SLEDBUNNYRACING

Bad Bunny
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.sledbunnyracing.com
Just re-tested my bags, released with a solid pull.
Not that I'm think'n I'll ever be in an Avy but it's nice to know that will work.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1390952985.178901.jpg

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This is actually a bit inaccurate...ABS uses a completely different system than any other bag on the market and their technology is definitely a step ahead. No other manufacturer uses this state of the art technology that is proven to stand up against the freeze/thaw cycles we see in mountain riding. ABS has designed a system that uses a pyrotechnic-pneumatic activation…in layman’s terms…it’s a nitrogen charged cannister that when set off by the piercing unit, inflates the bagS in 2-3 seconds. All the other manufacturers use a cable type system and rely solely on ambient air for filling their bag.

You're talking about how they inflate the bag mechanically. I was referring to the displacement principle of physics that keeps you near the surface in a moving avalanche. :)

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
You're talking about how they inflate the bag mechanically. I was referring to the displacement principle of physics that keeps you near the surface in a moving avalanche. :)
I think my abs has more volume in the two bags versus the snow pulse, quit a noticeable difference.Snowpulse is more comfortable though.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think my abs has more volume in the two bags versus the snow pulse, quit a noticeable difference.Snowpulse is more comfortable though.
I think the snowpulse RAS is smaller but their big bag with the trauma protection I think is the biggest bag on the market. Unfortunately they don't offer it in the vest.

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Principle of physics.. The popcorn seed effect.

I think that's what he is talking about. The ABS has a slight advantage with nitrogen, but the benefits of dry air and design is far superior in the Snowpulse IMO. As far as I know there has been no shortfalls with the dry air system.

I agree...try them on, see what feels the best and is the lightest weight for you :)

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Principle of physics.. The popcorn seed effect.

I think that's what he is talking about. The ABS has a slight advantage with nitrogen, but the benefits of dry air and design is far superior in the Snowpulse IMO. As far as I know there has been no shortfalls with the dry air system.

To me it sounds like she is selling them the way it's wrote

Wait she is a dealer I see on the air bags update post

sent while I should be drinking tea's

Last edited:

SLEDBUNNYRACING

Bad Bunny
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.sledbunnyracing.com
I think the key here it to have a bag. Rode Silvermines last weekend and 50% didn't have bags and that a heavy Avy area.
To me a Avy bag is like a helmet, it about some protection. It I hit a tree and break my neck, the helmet was useless, same with a Avy bag.
However if I crack my head hard and have no ill effects, it's done it's job. Bag is the same, if all the stars align then maybe I survive cause of the bag. Then it's a good thing.
Again, just my 1 cents on the topic.

Wear a Helmet, Avy Bag, Avy Transceiver, Shovel & Probe.
Your doo'n it right then

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think the key here it to have a bag. Rode Silvermines last weekend and 50% didn't have bags and that a heavy Avy area.
To me a Avy bag is like a helmet, it about some protection. It I hit a tree and break my neck, the helmet was useless, same with a Avy bag.
However if I crack my head hard and have no ill effects, it's done it's job. Bag is the same, if all the stars align then maybe I survive cause of the bag. Then it's a good thing.
Again, just my 1 cents on the topic.

Yup. Beyond a lot of peoples budgets though.

The bashing may now commence!
:arguebats:

Top Bottom