Avalanche accident -- video

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
I KNOW SOME OF YOU HAVE ALREADY SEEN THIS, BUT THE SEASON IS QUICKLY COMING UPON US, SO I THOUGHT I WOULD REFRESHER AN AVY INCIDENT THAT WE MUST ALL PAY ATTENTION TO AND LEARN FROM.........
A Dozen More Turns by SFAA -- Revver Online Video Sharing Network :)
I KNOW THIS IS ABOUT SKIERS, BUT IT IS SIMILAR TERRAIN AS TO WHAT SLEDDERS LIKE TOO....THIS VIDEO IS A LITTLE DISTURBING... WATCH AND LEARN

Last edited:

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
Thanks Ric just about had her talked into letting me rent a sled one weekend this winter now she wants me to buy one and go every weekend.Mumbled something about life insurance.:d:d

saint_nick3

Reaction score
I attend MSU here in bozeman and we had pretty much the same accident happen to another fellow student last season. You can never be to safe!!!

Showtime

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ric, absolutely a great post super, super sad that that little guy now has to grow up without his dad. I just was at the Martin Eq. avalanche course last night and it's amazing on how many guy's don't even know how to put a probe together. There was a similar point made at last nights session and it was 1 in 4 people die from the trauma alone, that's 25%...pretty bad odds, the main thing Lori from Zac Tracks was trying to get into everones skull is "DON'T GET CAUGHT" try to educate yourself to notice the dangers and stay clear. The Othovox rep was there answering questions and shows his gear and i gotta say i think a new digital is in order for me.

FOR SALE 1 SOS BEACON.....$100.00

Haggis

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What do you like more about the digital beacons - is find time way faster????

Showtime

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What do you like more about the digital beacons - is find time way faster????
Yes and No, i asked the exact question last night. Lori 's exact words were "she would kick my ass using an analog compare to me using a digital" but don't forget she works with these everyday so if you practise, practise with an analog you also could be very quick and efficient with them. The way i look at it is i have a general knowlegde of how an analog works and can find a beacon in my back yard but (god forbid) put your self in the scenario where your friend or family is buried and you have to find him and have him dug out in 15 minutes(highest probability rate of surviving) Can you do it? Myself i'll bet not, panic set's in huge and if your not familuar with that analog your time could be cut considerably compared to a digital where you either look at the screen or follow the arrows. Another thing i learned last night is there now are beacons that can tell you if the person buried is alive or dead, so in a multiple burial case you can actually concentrate on the living. I'm not an expert these are just things i picked up on last night talking with the pros.

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a pieps DSP, and I like it alot but I would say the best thing anyone can do is take a ave course try all the beacons. Pick one and learn your beacon. No beacon will be faster if you don't know how to use it, it's just like your shovel if you did with the handel it won't be very quick.

Haggis

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Pick one and learn your beacon. No beacon will be faster if you don't know how to use it, it's just like your shovel if you did with the handel it won't be very quick.

Wise words 'learn your beacon' - you should be practiced to the level that it is second nature to operate and you can do it fast. Socked in days in the mountains are perfect for fine tuning this skill - beats sitting on your sled and complaining you can't see - put that time to use!

tmix

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was also at martin for the beacon course, lots of good info! I would agree practice with the group you ride with is very important.

britt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Great Post!!! But unforunately how many of use sledding in the Alpine will heed the message in the video???? "If one of use disagrees will we change our plans"

Britt

Top Bottom