Av-gas

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
here we go again....

Mix all the gas you want - your consistency will never be the same. Adding toluene to pump gas is a waste of $$$ and time IMO, pump gas mixes are so variable that one day it might be 89 octane, the next it might be 85. Hard to mix a consistent batch of fuel when your base fuel varies with humidity, temp, etc. MMT is banned in Canada and MTBE is banned in California. Most of the chemicals you'll be mixing will likely be harmful to your health. Take serious care when playing with them. Its highly unlikely your house insurance will cover your property losses from a fire (god forbid if you have one) and the investigation determines that you were mixing your own race fuel in your garage.

Race fuel costs more because it it blended properly, fractioned properly and manufactured properly.

I have never seen anyone with a $100,000 car, pouring paint thinner into the gas tank. Most of the internet articles you're reading are some guy with a beat up old porsche, thinking he's smarter than most petroleum engineers and making his home brewed go-juice which is giving him a seat of the pants performance increase. Most of the time, the components they are using are often corroding their system components and causing motor damage or fuel system damage - but you'll never read about the 3 times they replaced the fuel pump etc, on their internet article.....

Ask any serious big time performance engine builder what you should run in their motor - see if they will guarantee that their motor will perform as promised when you tell them you are going to run paint thinner, mineral spirits and transmission fluid through it - see what they have to say.

Home made gas is just like home made wine - some are good, some are bad, but none taste like the properly made stuff.

If it were me and I didn't want to buy race fuel due to the cost, I'd tune my sled so that I didn't have to run it. It would be far better (and cheaper in the long run) to have the head re-cut etc, so that race fuel was not required, than to burn down a couple of motors while running a home blend of race fuel.

Just my opinion.

yah your probably right,, just tosing around some ideas right now...
Less compresion isn't going to happen so some kind of higher octane fuel
will be required.

I see Sunco and Cheveron offer High Octane race fuel on special order
so i'm going to look into that.

I just liked the xlene and tolulene idea, because in my buisness I have
cheap accsess to both.Pretty sure after my first burnt down motor I'd
quit running it..lol But I'll probably take your advice and go another way.

Then again my Grandma owns a wine and beer making store and I think
the ch!t tastes pretty good...lol

Thanks for the input,i'll most likely order fuel from cheveron or get some AV
gas(although I'm getting mixed reviews on the AV gas too...:confused:)

Edit:Chevron only has 94octane,, but sunnoco has 100 and 110 octane on special order....
:beer:

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ive ran avgas in my turbo sled with no problems up to 15 pounds

I'd trust Av-gas long before I'd trust a home brew. Av gas will work, but its manufacturing tolerances are a little less than race fuel, but still better than playing witchdoctor in the garage with a 5 gallon jerry can... :D

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'd trust Av-gas long before I'd trust a home brew. Av gas will work, but its manufacturing tolerances are a little less than race fuel, but still better than playing witchdoctor in the garage with a 5 gallon jerry can... :D

Oh come on, I'll let you try out the first batch in your sled for free!!lol:d

Edit: I found a local source for sunoco 260 gt 100octane for aprox 2.65/L not to bad!!(compared to 10/L)
that or AV gas?? Now that is my question,,, Av gas is a bit cheaper, but which one is better??

knee deep in it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
1) i will be installing a nitrous kit onto my 06 600 HO engine. Boondockers suggests 94 octane. What is the most economic way to achieve that?

2) if I stay off the button at low elevations and cold days, can I just use 92 octane?

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure Chevron has 94octane at the pump, in some locations.

I found a local source of Sunnaco 100octane at a reasonable price,TA LUBES.:beer:

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Whats a good price.Is it in drums or bulk

The sunnoco 100octane comes in 45gallon drums for around 530$,which is cheaper than I have found c12 around here. Suposidly some sunnoco gas sations out east, have the 100octane at the pumps.

new24stroke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
But c-12 is 108 octane and about 650 a drum.I think for 100 octane I would just use avgas.Way cheaper/

sldnxs

Reaction score
One must remember Avgas is very different from VP racing fuel because its tested to different standards. Avgas 100LL must satisfy these basic requirements: 1) Vaporization must occur easily at low temperatures but yet not so easy that it will cause vapor lock; 2) It must have a high energy content per unit weight (BTU), and permit high compression engine operation without detonation; 3) It must be relatively free of gum-forming compounds; 4) It must have a low sulfur content to reduce corrosive action; 5) It must be stored and delivered free of contaminants ie. water.

Octane ratings for aviation gasoline have been rated differently than automotive gasoline in that actual fuels are tested in aviation engines. They are rated according to an antiknock value or “performance number” based on octane values lower than 100-octane or performance-rated for fuel rated at 100-octane or higher.

Automotive fuels are not rated in this way but use an “antiknock index”and an average of the research octane method, and motor method. The antiknock index posted on autogas pumps is approximately five points higher than the actual octane rating of aviation fuel—thus an antiknock index of 87 posted on an autogas pump would equate to about an “average” 82-octane aviation fuel.

Avgas 100LL is a leaded fuel. Lead is also used to provide lubrication of upper cylinder components such as valves, pistons, cylinder walls and valve guides. Avgas also has benzol which is used to resist knocking. Toluene is added to make for low freezing point, good volatility, and rubber solvent properties less damaging than other additives. In addition to these compounds there are other compounds blended in small amounts with avgas for reducing gum residue and to prevent vapor locking in the fuel lines. I’ve run Avgas in all my machines and have never had a loss of hp yet. It’s also nice to know in the back of your mind that when running your machine wide open and working it hard that you have a certified fuel to high standards working for you and your engine.

:cool:

Top Bottom