AV Gas In Edmonton $1.40 a Litre

mareshow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

Just talked to Kane over at brandon petroleum, He says last years deal of $1.40/L is still on. Give him a call 780-920-0038 is his cell. Its great fuel, I used it all last year with zero issues :) This is an awesome deal. Also I frequent between Calgary and Edmonton so I'm sure we can arrange something that way too :)

fredw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That is a good deal, last weeks price in Medicine Hat airport was 1.90l

E-Zmoke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just be careful with that fuel guys it's not certified AV gas, it's old stock that he can't sell to the airports. He sells the good stuff as well for 1.60L but you have to specify you want certified AV or else you get the old fuel. He sells it as "High Octane" not AV. Chances are it's fine to run in your sled but why would you want to risk it, if it's not safe to put in an airplane why put it in your sled?

Last edited:

jpgmtech

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.payntonperformance.com
Just be careful with that fuel guys it's not certified AV gas, it's old stock that he can't sell to the airports. He sells the good stuff as well for 1.60L but you have to specify you want certified AV or else you get the old fuel. He sells it as "High Octane" not AV. Chances are it's fine to run in your sled but why would you want to risk it, if it's not safe to put in an airplane why put it in your sled?

Yes it's possible it's starting to go stale, depending on how long it has sat. But aviation fuel is so tightly regulated that 'old stock' is really generally still quite good if it's been stored well.

Dragonalain

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's not as good as it sounds... after you buy the barrel for $40 which is not returnable and pay the tax it works out to $1.68 per L and the fuel was barreled in April. Called him today to get the run down.

Sent from my iPhone using

channonmanuel

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
But when you get your second barrel of av you don't have to pay the barrel fee, still a good deal when premium is 1.40 a liter in bc

Dragonalain

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
But when you get your second barrel of av you don't have to pay the barrel fee, still a good deal when premium is 1.40 a liter in bc

They do not refill your old barrel unless u plan ahead and meet their fuel truck on site. Which was yesterday. It is Still cheaper than the air port I went to by approximately 2 cents after all said and done But then I needed to deal with hazardous wastes barrels.

Phat Cat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The problem I am having is finding a good clean drum that I can use to get avgas from the airport. any suggestions on where I can get a clean drum? Other than the above option?

Go-Vertical

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The problem I am having is finding a good clean drum that I can use to get avgas from the airport. any suggestions on where I can get a clean drum? Other than the above option?

Any one that sells vp or other fuels should have lots of empties. Picked up a couple empties when I bought a drum from specialty sleds.

E-Zmoke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I have a bunch of clean empty drums if you want some

250mark1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
if the fuel is no good for avaition purposes it could easily be 2-3 years old already

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
if the fuel is no good for avaition purposes it could easily be 2-3 years old already

If stored properly, 100LL will maintain its octane for several years. Leaded fuels may lost octane as the lead settles but that is over a number of years.

Drums should be stored on their sides to prevent water from seeping through the caps during heating and cooling periods. I believe Brandon supplies their drums with rain caps. For aircraft use, most commercial operations will follow the one year shelf life for drummed fuels. Typically aircraft operators will empty a drum in a very short period of time so open shelf life isnt as much of an issue as the guy who takes a few gallons here and there from a drum.

Chances are any Avgas that Brandon is unloading cheap is not more than 6 months old.

250mark1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If stored properly, 100LL will maintain its octane for several years. Leaded fuels may lost octane as the lead settles but that is over a number of years.

Drums should be stored on their sides to prevent water from seeping through the caps during heating and cooling periods. I believe Brandon supplies their drums with rain caps. For aircraft use, most commercial operations will follow the one year shelf life for drummed fuels. Typically aircraft operators will empty a drum in a very short period of time so open shelf life isnt as much of an issue as the guy who takes a few gallons here and there from a drum.

Chances are any Avgas that Brandon is unloading cheap is not more than 6 months old.

If it is only 6 months old it would still be good for aircraft use for another 12-18 months before needing to be tested so there would no issues running it in a sled

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If it is only 6 months old it would still be good for aircraft use for another 12-18 months before needing to be tested so there would no issues running it in a sled

Any reputable commerical carrier is not going to put 12-18 month old avgas in their aircraft. Some bush pilots maybe.

Just call Brandon Pet and ask them how long they shelf their drums for before they determine the fuel is no longer sellable as qualified fuel.

chadwik74

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If it sits for a year planes cannot run it...still plenty good for my sled and boat tho!

Top Bottom