Autometer egt gauge - anyone tried on a sled

pinkpantherusmincus

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey guys just looked on eBay for a egt gauge and probe for a project build over summer....I seen sone egt set ups from autometer that may work and are a LOT cheaper than the koso ones... Has anyone tried a autometer egt set up on a sled or see a reason it wouldn't work?

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
used them in cars and diesels without a problem... couldnt see why they would not work. You looking to digital or analog, doesnt really make a diffrene i would think. Probes, just stick with what autometer recommends. Sometimes probes are sensitive to the gauge manuafacture as well as install. Like what type of connection, how it is made, sauder type, etc etc. It effects the readings and howfast it wil react.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey guys just looked on eBay for a egt gauge and probe for a project build over summer....I seen sone egt set ups from autometer that may work and are a LOT cheaper than the koso ones... Has anyone tried a autometer egt set up on a sled or see a reason it wouldn't work?

You might need a rectifier if the gauge is DC 12V, most sleds up until mid-2000's ish were AC, then they started coming factory with rectifiers that convert to DC. I think they are pretty well all DC now so depends on the year of the sled. The autometer gauge will work just fine on a sled if the voltage is correct, biggest thing you are paying for on a Koso is the display and the waterproof. Have 3 koso's, none ever leaked or even ot condensation in them. The auto style gauges are not sealed, even if they look like it, they will leak around the bezel and get condensation in them. once it gets in you won't be able to clearly read it and will have to dry it out all the time and eventually the electronics will fail from being wet. An unreadable gauges does you no good on the mountain. Even if you silicone the piss out of it it will probably still get some condensation in it.

The Koso gauges are easy to read with the colours and the big numbers. It may not look like a big deal staring at them on the wall of the auto store, but at 50 mph on a 10 ft wide trail you don't want to be trying to read a tiny little gauge or tiny little numbers, that is where the Koso is nice. They are pricey though for sure. If you are looking to set up and confirm some tuning numbers and then leave your sled alone, get the autometer and seal it as best you can, use it to tune the sled and run it for as long as it holds up, if it craps out, no biggie. If you want to use the gauge all the time to keep your sled in peak operating range and you will be required to rely on the values constantly and not worry about the gauge failing, then get the Koso.

pinkpantherusmincus

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks modman, waterproofing is something I did not consider. I am trying to make a budget build over summer, koso gauges don't come up for 2nd hand too often. So exploring every possibility I can...

sledrs

Reaction score
I buy Digitron EGT guages right from Exhaust Gas Technologies in California. Check out their website. you can get a dual guage with their lifetime guaranteed quick probes that you weld or clamp for about $200 in the mail. I thought it was a pretty good deal and with their probes I have been running for years and no issues yet.

Top Bottom