ATV Tie Down Points

Roadhouse

Reaction score
Hi;

I'm wondering if it's OK to use the winch hook to secure the ATV when the machine is in my pickup truck. I'm thinking about using the winch as the point up front, then a ratchet strap from the rear bumper of the ATV to the trailer hitch of the truck. Want to stay away from using the racks as tiedown points...

Any advice would be appreciated....thanks in advance.

RH

blastoff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You can but they seem to always slacken off, I never use the winch only tie downs.

Roadhouse

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I won't use the winch for anything other than what it's meant for.

Good advice on using unsuspended tie-down points....should be a lot less stress on the machine. Makes sense.

RH

Last edited:

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
In my truck I use a ratchet strap in each side on the rack and one off the frame in the back. On the trailer I usually go off the frame or bumper.

dodgeguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A arms are the best point to tie down as they are unsuspended and will have constant tension over rough roads. DO NOT use a winch.

Yep what he said....I tie my machine down this way and it never moves and the ratchet straps NEVER loosen off!! Use to use the winch 12+ years ago and almost lost a quad because of it....:nono:

kbrunlees

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I use the winch on mine just as a 5th tie down, but as someone said they will slacken off.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i always use a 4 point tie down, those friggin straps can break and if ya can get a 2 point to hold er down you will be sacking out yer springs quick. just look at rzrgades he rides on a popo stick. hehe

Roadhouse

Reaction score
Thanks guys....got it figured out now. Two axle straps and four ratchet straps to the A-Arms and she's solid as a rock in the back of the truck.

I used a set of ratchet straps I already have, to try this out. They are quite new, 500 lb working strength and 1500 lb breaking. My neighbour said that four of those is plenty, but to be honest, they look a little light duty....what do you guys think? Should I go heavier duty?

Thanks for the help so far!

RH

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the reason you shouldn't use your winch to tie down your quad isn't because it loosens off, but because the metal planetary gears will wear out the plastic teeth inside the housing when the quad jiggles around. once they wear enough the winch will stop working when the gears get to the flat spots and spin there.

gdvross

Reaction score
I like to use the self retracting Ericson 2'" straps 4 per machine cheap insurance as far as i'm concerned.Hooked to the A arm if possible and they still like to loosen up after awhile. I would like to put E tracking on the trailer and strap over the tires,but thats a project for another day.

ROBO

Reaction score
I strap mine down at the four corners off of the racks. Get them tight enough so the suspension is bottomed out. My rational is so the suspension is not working/wearing out while driving down the highway and gravel roads. I stop and check everything fairly often when travelling.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I strap mine down at the four corners off of the racks. Get them tight enough so the suspension is bottomed out. My rational is so the suspension is not working/wearing out while driving down the highway and gravel roads. I stop and check everything fairly often when travelling.

not a real good idea as you'll sack out your springs in a real hurry. but it's yout money.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I like to use the self retracting Ericson 2'" straps 4 per machine cheap insurance as far as i'm concerned.Hooked to the A arm if possible and they still like to loosen up after awhile. I would like to put E tracking on the trailer and strap over the tires,but thats a project for another day.

those retractables are a real pain in the winter, they freeze and then yer screwwed. threw mine in the round bin.

zeebs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
unless ya like picking pieces off the road. not the brightest idea.

Long box. Put the quad in and close the tailgate. If the quad falls out you have bigger problems than the quad. Just sayin.

Although I do need to build myself a cab protector so the winch hook doesnt take the window out. (knock on wood)

brutematt750

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Long box. Put the quad in and close the tailgate. If the quad falls out you have bigger problems than the quad. Just sayin.

Although I do need to build myself a cab protector so the winch hook doesnt take the window out. (knock on wood)

That's what I figure too. I do put one strap on it just to stop it from going to far forward.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk while working extremely hard

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
guess you guy's never seen a moose or deer jump on the road ahead of ya, and have not made any avoidance manovers, you may just change your mind. also looks like ya never had the rear window blow out on a cold rainy day, wise up use yer head for more than aplace to put your hat. or carry yer white sun glasses.

tie yer load.

Top Bottom