ATV Crash Kills Man

shmole

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Another fatality.....another story that says "He was not wearing a Helmet.."

Our thoughts and Prayers to the Family and Friends....

rubirose

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Six year old girl died to yesterday, she was in a RZR driven by her under 16 year old brother. They had the safety gear on, don't know the details of what happened, but my guess is speed and turning to fast or climbing.

rubirose

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Another fatality.....another story that says "He was not wearing a Helmet.."

Our thoughts and Prayers to the Family and Friends....
I feel for the family, but not the guy. I am glad he was not driving a car while drinking, could have taken someone innocent out instead of just himself. I have no sympathy for people who drink and drive, whatever the vehicle. EVERYONE knows what can happen, but they selfishly do it any way.

Taminator

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Condolences to the family.
Not sure why people insist on not wearing helmets, never know if it woulda saved him or not, but sure a heck of alot better chance.
That's one thing with sled accidents, very rarely is someone not wearing a helmet. The majority of sled accidents involve Mother Nature, not just carelessness and stupidity. Most ATV accidents seem to be driver error in one way or another.

yzgirl09

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Same with dirtbikes, you rarely see fools ripping on dirtbikes without a helmet (atleast I don't), I find it quite sad that majority of people who think they don't need a helmet are either on quads or side by sides....hmm I wonder if it's because they think four wheelers are safer and they can't get hurt as easily on them...... in this case it's not neccessarily about which machine is "safer" it just seems that more "unsafe" people ride 4 wheeled machines because they have a false sense of security and do not respect how dangerous 4 wheelers really are.... quite sad..

gforce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
apparently not enough people have died yet for the government to make it manditory to wear helmets...lets hope someday they doo! :rant:

yzgirl09

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well with the going rate, I don't think it will take much time at all to accumulate enough "volunteers". You know, I honestly thought it was the law to wear helmets at all times on ATV's, I'm shocked that it isn't.. you would think that if its the law to wear a helmet on a bicycle that it would apply to a motorized one... unbeleivable

raceu4it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i think it's the tractor mentality, cause really a quad is a minature version of a tractor, but a little more sporty, and i haven't seen many farmers wearing helmets when there swathing, hay raking, seeding, cultivating. my 2cents. and no i don't wear a helmet in my golf cart, cause it's slower, and i spent to many years on a old john deere "R".

Last edited by a moderator:

KH2110

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm sorry........don't get me wrong, I never ride without a helmet and in fact, my klim helmet saved my life last year when my atv rolled over and landed on my back and head.....and I assure you that I felt all 650 lbs of that 750 in broken ribs and collapsed lung and 4 days in the hospital..

but, what I'm hearing here confuses me a little....am I wrong to suggest that natural selection is a bad thing? Me and mine wear helmets but for those that choose not to, YOU CAN'T CURE STUPID BY MANDATING ANYTHING!!!!

yzgirl09

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
there probably isn't too many reported cases of tractors/combines/swathers involved in crashes either, they may be deadly for chewing up limbs, or getting squashed by one, but wearing a helmet in a gigantic tractor (some these days probably equipped with airbags) doin 10km/h in a wide open field....I'm just guessin that it may not be neccessary to wear a helmet.... I think quads are a bit different......

intmid8or!

Problem Child
Reaction score
no helmet laws for street bikes in alot of the US, regardless of increase in head injury and fatalities as a direct result. Some say mandatory till 21, then do not have too. I guess if you are 21 you've led a full life.
But then again on that note, i would like to ride my bike without a lid down there on a cruise just to see what it's like........

sumsupport

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.absoluteadventure.ca
....am I wrong to suggest that natural selection is a bad thing? Me and mine wear helmets but for those that choose not to, YOU CAN'T CURE STUPID BY MANDATING ANYTHING!!!!

I have to agree. I have too much conservative blood in me to think that our elected officials should tell me how to live my life. We wear our gear, we teach safety to our kids and try hard to make the right choices, but it's like seatbelts, making it a law to wear one doesn't stop the drunk idiots from driving drunk without a seatbelt and hurting themselves and others.

Legislating something doesn't stop stupidity, so why should my tax money pay for more legislation?

KH2110

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
no helmet laws for street bikes in alot of the US, regardless of increase in head injury and fatalities as a direct result. Some say mandatory till 21, then do not have too. I guess if you are 21 you've led a full life.
But then again on that note, i would like to ride my bike without a lid down there on a cruise just to see what it's like........

down here you can almost exactly match the states with mandatory helmet laws to the states that swing dem......because government can make us safer:rolleyes:

those same states are the ones my concealed carry permit is not valid
again, because we are so much safer with only the criminals having guns

yzgirl09

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have to agree. I have too much conservative blood in me to think that our elected officials should tell me how to live my life. We wear our gear, we teach safety to our kids and try hard to make the right choices, but it's like seatbelts, making it a law to wear one doesn't stop the drunk idiots from driving drunk without a seatbelt and hurting themselves and others.

Legislating something doesn't stop stupidity, so why should my tax money pay for more legislation?

That aspect I agree with, but.. stupidity aside... if it were the law, it might urge people to start wearin them, or wear them more often, and decrease the amount of fatalities due to head injuries from not wearing a helmet? It's just sad to see all these people (young ones especially) die, and their families suffer from it. Anything really to encourage people to wear them would be beneficial..

honda75

Reaction score
I think helmets are the least of our worries - the issue of unsupervised minors is what gets me. A news report I heard about the 6 year old said the driver was a pre-teen.

Its not my business to tell folks how to raise their kids, but it is illegal for under 14s to ride unsupervised off private property. Given the amount of kids buzzing around Red Deer county, I'd say the police have been turning a blind eye for too long. A crackdown on this would go a long way to stopping the carnage.

Question for any lawyers on the board. Is the parent responsible if a kid is nabbed? Anyone has experience with a ticket for this?

Top Bottom