AST2 Training

Zacs Avy Crew

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.zacstracs.com
After each and every Avalanche Incident that happens, there is a huge shout out from some individuals about how everyone should be getting "trained up"..... People cheer about how right they are to speak out. Beer glasses clink and AST1'rs feel pretty good that they have been so proactive....

So where do you go after your AST1 because AST1 is your starting point. I talk to sledders and see people on here and on FB that have taken their last AST1 courses 10 plus years ago.

What happened to the continued learning?
-Refresh your knowledge
-Upgrade your knowledge
-Update your knowledge and equipment

Between ZacsTracs and Trigger Point, we have three AST2 Classes with four or less students in each. I know quite a few of you that have all of the qualifications needed to participate in one of these classes that will continue to raise your avalanche knowledge to a higher level. SO what is it? We can't offer these courses every weekend but for the three or four times in a season that we have them offered we should have a waiting list for each and every AST2 Class. I bet that some of you can make one of these AST2 Class dates work.

I know that ZacsTracs and Trigger Point are not the only AST Providers with AST2 classes on the books this season but I would bet a hotdog and a shooter that they struggle to fill their classes too.

Okay, end of Dawn's rant.

007sevens

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
After each and every Avalanche Incident that happens, there is a huge shout out from some individuals about how everyone should be getting "trained up"..... People cheer about how right they are to speak out. Beer glasses clink and AST1'rs feel pretty good that they have been so proactive....

So where do you go after your AST1 because AST1 is your starting point. I talk to sledders and see people on here and on FB that have taken their last AST1 courses 10 plus years ago.

What happened to the continued learning?
-Refresh your knowledge
-Upgrade your knowledge
-Update your knowledge and equipment

Between ZacsTracs and Trigger Point, we have three AST2 Classes with four or less students in each. I know quite a few of you that have all of the qualifications needed to participate in one of these classes that will continue to raise your avalanche knowledge to a higher level. SO what is it? We can't offer these courses every weekend but for the three or four times in a season that we have them offered we should have a waiting list for each and every AST2 Class. I bet that some of you can make one of these AST2 Class dates work.

I know that ZacsTracs and Trigger Point are not the only AST Providers with AST2 classes on the books this season but I would bet a hotdog and a shooter that they struggle to fill their classes too.

Okay, end of Dawn's rant.

For me I want to take the course. If I do it may be by myself if I can't convince some of my group to come with me. That being said the AST 2 takes more time and this kinda thing needs to be scheduled with day to day life. I'm still not sure when I can get away so I have not committed yet. One other point is that the course is a chunk of change. Not that should matter because its all about saving lives, however when you combine that with travel, accommodation and meals it may be too much for some to budget.

Last edited:

scotts

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
For me I want to take the course. If I do it may be by myself if I can't convince some of my group to come with me. That being said the AST 2 takes more time and this kinda thing needs to be scheduled with day to day life. I'm still not sure when I can get away so I have not committed yet. One other point is that the course is a chunk of change. Not that should matter because its all about saving lives, however when you combine that with travel, accommodation and meals it may be too much for some to budget.

Hey, I'll go with you, I'd really like to go to but am having a tough time getting anybody to commit from here too! It's always the same story " yah I'd like too BUT..... Blah blah blah!"
Its extremely disappointing how people just seem to take the AST 1 and feel they are trained and ready to go! It's gotten to the point that I no longer feel confident with the group I ride with and need to make a change! I'm not saying that I'm super educated, I've learned just enough to understand how much I don't know,and it may sound a bit selfish. I know enough now to realize that if I'm in an avalanche it would be a miracle for my group to perform an effective rescue and that really takes the fun out of riding!

Last edited:

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey, I'll go with you, I'd really like to go to but am having a tough time getting anybody to commit from here too! It's always the same story " yah I'd like too BUT..... Blah blah blah!"
Its extremely disappointing how people just seem to take the AST 1 and feel they are trained and ready to go! It's gotten to the point that I no longer feel confident with the group I ride with and need to make a change! I'm not saying that I'm super educated, I've learned just enough to understand how much I don't know,and it may sound a bit selfish. I know enough now to realize that if I'm in an avalanche it would be a miracle for my group to perform an effective rescue and that really takes the fun out of riding!

It takes a while & some effort to put together a solid crew. Can have all the training and experience in the world, but if your buddies are

yahoo's and don't know chit, you definitely have to take that into account when doing your risk assessment.

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
I think that our site is a great resource to find people that all want to go to the AST 2 course together. put the call out and see how many you can gather to do it!

007sevens

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Sounds good Scott. Been meaning to shoot the sh1t with for a while now anyway.

Zacs Avy Crew

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.zacstracs.com

I understand that not all of your riding group will be able to put the time into it and there is a cost for both the AST1 and the AST2 but so is there for sledding as a whole........Driving to the location, hotel rooms, food, bar tab......, gas, oil, wraps, skis, Turbo, cans, muffpots, survival gear, etc.

You can tell your buddies that an avalanche accident will cost way more than an AST1 or 2 ever will and 90% of the cost would be incurred on a regular sled trip anyways.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

007sevens

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I understand that not all of your riding group will be able to put the time into it and there is a cost for both the AST1 and the AST2 but so is there for sledding as a whole........Driving to the location, hotel rooms, food, bar tab......, gas, oil, wraps, skis, Turbo, cans, muffpots, survival gear, etc.

You can tell your buddies that an avalanche accident will cost way more than an AST1 or 2 ever will and 90% of the cost would be incurred on a regular sled trip anyways.

Wow, easy Dawn. I think you read or took my post wrong. My group values the information. You asked why people are not lining up for this course and I thought I explained that.

My group is trained AST 1 and considering 2

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

SLEDBUNNYRACING

Bad Bunny
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.sledbunnyracing.com
Lining up for the courses:
It's taken me three years to get on of my sons buddies to agree to take the course (26 years old). He thinks the 2 hour course he took in high school was good enough.
Another group, with deep pockets, have one out of eight riders with AST1. They feel they have learned what's needed from that guy over beers???? When push comes to shove I was told it's none of my Eff'n business what a group of 40's plus guys have or don't. Two are good friends of mine and they just done get it.
My son and I are AST 1 and will be taking a refresher course with sac's this season.

Well worth the time and effort.

007sevens

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Here's a side note. You get the recognition from life insurance agents that this will reduced policy cost. The same as PADI for scuba divers.

Then you will have people lining up.

It costs me an extra 500 a month for life insurance because I sled the mountains

SUMMIT TREE

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I always ask myself this when humming and hawing about a big purchase like my airbag, or about AST 1 or a new beacon or my Inreach....... IF the time comes that you REALLY need it what would I pay then? Of course when your lying in a slab of concrete taking what may be your last few breaths, likely you would give nearly any price to come out alive. When you really get down to the basics,possibly saving your whole group from dying in an avalanche by having training that costs a G is nothing!

Zacs Avy Crew

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.zacstracs.com
Wow, easy Dawn. I think you read or took my post wrong. My group values the information. You asked why people are not lining up for this course and I thought I explained that.

My group is trained AST 1 and considering 2

Sorry, I did not mean to sound cranky.

I'm very impressed that your group is looking to upgrade with your AST2 this year.

Zacs Avy Crew

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.zacstracs.com
Lining up for the courses:
It's taken me three years to get on of my sons buddies to agree to take the course (26 years old). He thinks the 2 hour course he took in high school was good enough.
Another group, with deep pockets, have one out of eight riders with AST1. They feel they have learned what's needed from that guy over beers???? When push comes to shove I was told it's none of my Eff'n business what a group of 40's plus guys have or don't. Two are good friends of mine and they just done get it.
My son and I are AST 1 and will be taking a refresher course with sac's this season.

Well worth the time and effort.

Awesome! We look forward to seeing you again.

scotts

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Tried to call to get some info and book in for one of the courses this morning, left a message but still haven't heard back????

Zacs Avy Crew

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.zacstracs.com
Tried to call to get some info and book in for one of the courses this morning, left a message but still haven't heard back????

I'm very sorry about that. Please give me a call again when you can at 403-804-3886 and I will give you a hand. Apparently I missed that call/message yesterday. Dawn.

Top Bottom