ASA Membership??

johnsmithnf

Reaction score
Ok for the membership, I see that this will not cover all trail systems in Alberta. Is there legislation with the Province that a trail pass must be purchased and displayed to ride any trail system in Alberta? If this is the requirement, will a ticketing officer have passes available to issue if you happen to be caught without? Also, if you must have ASA pass, then why can you not get it at a registry somewhere? I ride with people who do not have their passes and often ride where there are no ASA trails. Also, there are day passes, but where can you get them on a moment’s notice? I also have heard of people stopped at trails and all they needed was the registration and insurance. Did not care at all for the ASA pass.
Now with the club that is not a member with ASA, how can they enforce a pass on crown land? Or why would any officer have authority to issue a ticket? Are they receiving any provincial or federal money for their “private” group?
I’m out in ft sask and last few years had purchased two passes every year, at the trade show, online ASA website, and at E&S. Last year was a total waste as no trails where open and I did not ride my sleds at all. So the $120 in passes, and nearly $500 for registration and insurance was not needed at all. I’m all for supporting the trail system and clubs but I dont see this as money well spent.
So that being said, I am debating on the purchase of trail passes, only if I will do a poker rally or something. I hate to buy more passes and no trails open in my area again. Or no time to ride.

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ASA trail pass IS for all trails in Alberta as far as I know. You need registration and insurance to ride all crown land in Alberta (legally) not just trails. Let your conscience be your guide.
Don't need a trail pass to ride off trail on Crown land. You aren't going to get a ticket for riding without a trail pass but no one likes a parasite. Each riding area is different when it comes to the availability of day passes. Here in Whitecourt they are available at several places in town (RPM Powersports, IGA, Adrenaline Powersports etc) and last year were available at the Eagle River Staging area on Saturdays and Sundays (I think they are going to do that again this year). They are also available at most dealerships throughout the province.
Trail pass has nothing to do with registries or the provincial government.

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I sense a little sour grapes attitude Mr johnsmithnf. Memberships to the ASA covers trail passes for all ASA trail systems. Buying your membership from your local ASA snowmobile club is showing support to your local club. A portion of the membership is directed to the club you bought the membership from. This funds the up keep of their trail system. It costs a lot on money to run and maintain a groomer. The $60 that you spend on a membership would not get that groomer down the trail very far. Their is a lot of volunteer work that goes into keeping these trails open. I for one am one of those volunteers and I find your post a little insulting. It may be that you are ill informed as to what it take to keep these trails open. I would suggest that you not only buy a membership, but also get involved with the club that you buy your membership from. Then and only then will you appreciate all the work that goes into maintaining a club and the trails they maintain.

johnsmithnf

Reaction score
ASA trail pass IS for all trails in Alberta as far as I know. You need registration and insurance to ride all crown land in Alberta (legally) not just trails. Let your conscience be your guide.
Don't need a trail pass to ride off trail on Crown land. You aren't going to get a ticket for riding without a trail pass but no one likes a parasite. Each riding area is different when it comes to the availability of day passes. Here in Whitecourt they are available at several places in town (RPM Powersports, IGA, Adrenaline Powersports etc) and last year were available at the Eagle River Staging area on Saturdays and Sundays (I think they are going to do that again this year). They are also available at most dealerships throughout the province.
Trail pass has nothing to do with registries or the provincial government.

From what I gather there is a club in stoney plain that requires "their" sticker and not a ASA sticker. Im in Edmonton area and rode just a couple trails in this area and havent yet been to the stoney plain/ spruce grove trail system yet. The trailseekers website, states you need "their" sticker. I'm aware of the insurance and registration and curious of the "legal" requirements of having a ASA pass. Just that I will likely try the trail place in Stoney Plan but won't be paying for their pass. I have booked room and plan on the whitecourt poker rally this year and the ASA sticker is my trail pass? So likely will get two stickers for each of my sleds as it would make as much sense rather than $20 each day for both sleds. I do most sledding at snow angels in fort, alberta beach, and the tri county club. So I'll usually get the passes from the ASA website.

johnsmithnf

Reaction score
I sense a little sour grapes attitude Mr johnsmithnf. Memberships to the ASA covers trail passes for all ASA trail systems. Buying your membership from your local ASA snowmobile club is showing support to your local club. A portion of the membership is directed to the club you bought the membership from. This funds the up keep of their trail system. It costs a lot on money to run and maintain a groomer. The $60 that you spend on a membership would not get that groomer down the trail very far. Their is a lot of volunteer work that goes into keeping these trails open. I for one am one of those volunteers and I find your post a little insulting. It may be that you are ill informed as to what it take to keep these trails open. I would suggest that you not only buy a membership, but also get involved with the club that you buy your membership from. Then and only then will you appreciate all the work that goes into maintaining a club and the trails they maintain.

Not intended as insult. I'm very familiar with the volunteer efforts required. I been very active with clubs down east from trail cutting, signage and grooming. Yes I am ill informed of what legal requirements are. I have buddies I sled with that don't pay $70 for a trail pass but would pay for a weekend or day pass since they ride 1-2 times a year putting on about 100-300 kms a season but where can you get one at a moment's notice? I usually do 700-1000 kms a season just trail riding and $70 is worth a trail pass. Not everyone can get out and volunteer, as I work alot of shift work and cannot attend meetings or weekend trail work. However, I do appreciate a marked groomed trail mid week while everyone else is working.

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not intended as insult. I'm very familiar with the volunteer efforts required. I been very active with clubs down east from trail cutting, signage and grooming. Yes I am ill informed of what legal requirements are. I have buddies I sled with that don't pay $70 for a trail pass but would pay for a weekend or day pass since they ride 1-2 times a year putting on about 100-300 kms a season but where can you get one at a moment's notice? I usually do 700-1000 kms a season just trail riding and $70 is worth a trail pass. Not everyone can get out and volunteer, as I work alot of shift work and cannot attend meetings or weekend trail work. However, I do appreciate a marked groomed trail mid week while everyone else is working.

I'm no legal beagle either but I believe you could be charged under the trespass act. Some of the ASA trails cross deeded lands and leased crown land. The clubs have land owner agreements with these people and it is in their best interest to only allow registered members onto these lands. I have yet to see enforcement of riding on ASA trails without a trail pass. I personally encourage people to buy the membership and support the ASA and it's clubs.

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
From what I gather there is a club in stoney plain that requires "their" sticker and not a ASA sticker. Im in Edmonton area and rode just a couple trails in this area and havent yet been to the stoney plain/ spruce grove trail system yet. The trailseekers website, states you need "their" sticker. I'm aware of the insurance and registration and curious of the "legal" requirements of having a ASA pass. Just that I will likely try the trail place in Stoney Plan but won't be paying for their pass. I have booked room and plan on the whitecourt poker rally this year and the ASA sticker is my trail pass? So likely will get two stickers for each of my sleds as it would make as much sense rather than $20 each day for both sleds. I do most sledding at snow angels in fort, alberta beach, and the tri county club. So I'll usually get the passes from the ASA website.

The ASA sticker is your trail pass. Don't need anything else.

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Bought a trail pass two years ago. Didn't buy one last year. Bought one for this year. It seems more political then any thing else. Buy one if you want. If you don't feel the need to then don't. Last year I didn't buy an asa pass but spent around 80 bucks on daily trail passes in BC.

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Appears the Snowseekers are not affiliated with the ASA for whatever reason. I won't ride their trails without their pass out of respect for their volunteers but I can't see buying their pass either. It seems that they are cutting themselves off from revenue and a voice.

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
Trailseekers have dissassociated from the ASA over personal/political differences, I don't know any of the parties personally but popular opinion seems to be a personal pizzing match lead to the move, crappy deal for the members in my opinion.

The trail pass is a pretty good deal for $60 considering it covers all the club trails, even when buying from the ASA you are asked to designate a prefered club, $27 of the fee goes to the club the rest stays with the ASA to cover insurance and admin. I used to be of the "I don't ride trails I ditch bang" mentality however I am now involved with the AB Beach club and still don't ride the trails but I buy my pass as there is strength in #'s and this is how we can stand up and be counted...

Appears the Snowseekers are not affiliated with the ASA for whatever reason. I won't ride their trails without their pass out of respect for their volunteers but I can't see buying their pass either. It seems that they are cutting themselves off from revenue and a voice.

zal

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Every little bit helps. Like Bogger said, Trailseekers are not part of the ASA. Their pass is only good on their trail. Unlike the ASA trail pass which is good for every trail in Alberta.

The money from trail passes are not only for maintaining trails. Its also helps build new trails, sign trails, for the People who are in the office at ASA (which do an excellent job. Their job is to help, guide and are a lobbying voice for us snowmobilers.), grants for snowmobile clubs, ASA Jamboree, legal issues, ASA snomobile Show and so much more. Is it worth buying a pass? That is your call. I buy three passes from our club (Peace Valley Snow Riders) and haven't been on the trail. But I know that the trail is there when I can't make it to the mountains.

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ok for the membership, I see that this will not cover all trail systems in Alberta. Is there legislation with the Province that a trail pass must be purchased and displayed to ride any trail system in Alberta? If this is the requirement, will a ticketing officer have passes available to issue if you happen to be caught without? Also, if you must have ASA pass, then why can you not get it at a registry somewhere? I ride with people who do not have their passes and often ride where there are no ASA trails. Also, there are day passes, but where can you get them on a moment’s notice? I also have heard of people stopped at trails and all they needed was the registration and insurance. Did not care at all for the ASA pass.
Now with the club that is not a member with ASA, how can they enforce a pass on crown land? Or why would any officer have authority to issue a ticket? Are they receiving any provincial or federal money for their “private” group?
I’m out in ft sask and last few years had purchased two passes every year, at the trade show, online ASA website, and at E&S. Last year was a total waste as no trails where open and I did not ride my sleds at all. So the $120 in passes, and nearly $500 for registration and insurance was not needed at all. I’m all for supporting the trail system and clubs but I dont see this as money well spent.
So that being said, I am debating on the purchase of trail passes, only if I will do a poker rally or something. I hate to buy more passes and no trails open in my area again. Or no time to ride.

Mr Johnsmithnf. I`m the trails director with the Snow Angels. We appreciate your support in the past and hope you continue this year as well. Last season was a complete writeoff to us. Very little snow in the cultivated fields did in our chance of even marking the trail. Our trails to the South were open for a couple of weeks. We hosted the antique sled association for their club ride.
This season we already have over 200 hours work put into the trails. The club has purchased a roughcut mower and are trimming the trail to make it wider. We have repaired our sign shack and worked around the clubhouse. Our club like any club in Alberta are doing what we can with the snow that we get. If we get no snow like last year we still have expenses. We still need $$ to cover such costs as sled/groomer insurance,maintance on sled and other equipment such as chainsaws and our gift to the landowners.
I also buy trail passes every year as well as spend countless hours and my own $$ to make trails work in this province.
In the County of Stratchona you can get a ticket for being off trail riding. Riders going all over is putting major pressure on our trail agreements.
The Trailseekers pass is good for ONLY her trail. Your ASA trailpass is good for ALL of Alberta. Clubs need your help in support for dollars to keep going and for your support to keep snowmobiling alive here in Alberta. Many members on this site support BC and many support Alberta. I support both and it would be good if we all support Alberta and BC.
At the end of the day you are investing $120.00 to improve snowmobiling here in Alberta and I hope you get your passes from E@S Yamaha in the Fort.
Thanks PM me your phone # if you want more info.

barleyfarmer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think everyone should buy a trail pass!At least that way the asa and the clubs will have money in the bank when the legal area closing battles start like they have in the states already!I buy 4 from our club already and will have to buy an extra one this year since my one daughter will be old enough to ride solo this year.And another thing I found is the people who do the most complaining about the trails are the ones who usually don't buy passes but still stop at the cabins and burn wood and use them though!!

Top Bottom