AOHVA Castle News Release

KatMan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
shannon speaks, is she starting to crack?(see phasing in comment). mind you she doesn't say where.

funny how the "phasing in" was not part of the original draft. why? because she is lying again to get the heat off of her.

J.W. Schnarr
Lethbridge Herald
jwschnarr@lethbridgeherald.com
Misinformation surrounding Off Highway Vehicle use in the Castle parks area is undermining the process of “authentic dialogue” between user groups, says the provincial environment minister.
Shannon Phillips said the development of the Castle parks areas has been overshadowed by “disrespectful” language, and that there have been a number of false statements and misinformation spread regarding the issue.
“The fact of the matter is that the previous government recommended in the Porcupine Hills and in the Livingstone recreation area, that there be recreation management planning,” she said.
“The fact is also that the previous government didn’t get around to it.”
Phillips said her government continues to engage OHV users to ensure proper supports are put in place to make sure “high quality” OHV experiences are available to user groups. But, she says, the process is still ongoing.
“I want to be clear right now. The decisions haven’t been made. The plan that is before us is a draft.”
Phillips said the draft was created through consultation with technical working groups who examined the science around recovering the fishery, the wildlife habitat, and ensuring the water supply is in working order.
“That science informed our recommendation that there be a staged, phase-out of OHV use that is causing a great deal of erosion and a great deal of habitat loss in particular for our trout fishery,” she said.
“And a phasing in, in an appropriate way, with the right staging points, the right bridges, and trail networks in places where it is more compatible, and it has less of an impact. I don’t know how the previous governments made decisions, but in our world, a draft means exactly that.”
A number of groups have already engaged the government on the issue, according to Phillips, who said respectful dialogue and participation in the process is more effective than other means of letting the government know their wishes.
“All of them have made really interesting contributions,” she said. “They’ve really taken this on as a draft, and they are very likely to see their input reflected in the final management plan.”
Phillips said the original working groups that contributed to the draft were intended to reflect the variety of interests involved. Municipalities were sought out for representation as well as ranchers and landowners.
“They are the ones who often have to end up footing the bill for much of the activity that goes on in the landscape,” she said.
She said ranchers in particular have suffered from irresponsible OHV use because the activity interferes with their ability to make a living.
“All of those voices were recognized and included around the table,” she said. “As was small business.”
At a recent OHV rally in Lethbridge, Wildrose leader Brian Jean described the decision to phase out OHV use as something that would negatively impact people’s jobs, their traditions, and their way of life.
Phillips described that kind of talk as inflammatory and unhelpful.
“I would also reject his assessment,” she said. “If he had been out talking to the ranchers I have talked to, and the municipalities I have talked to, he would have a different view of this. It is very clear he has not done that.”
Follow @JWSchnarrHerald on Twitter

Last edited:

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I could be mistaken, but I recall talk of trail development in a "more appropriate" area since the announcement on Jan 20. I don't think she's back-pedaling there.

However, she is systematically trying to discredit our statements and our character. Now, she makes mention of "disrespectful language" in the same breath that she accuses us of making false statements and spreading misinformation. We must continue to LEARN, educate, spread accurate information, and be good ambassadors of the sport.

That's a hell of a lot of work, but these efforts become completely undermined when chit idiots are verbally abusing government officials in public. There could be a thousand responsible people at a protest and 10 that are causing trouble in some shape or form, however the 10 rotten apples will get 95% of the media attention which is what 95% of the general public bases their opinions on.

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
I could be mistaken, but I recall talk of trail development in a "more appropriate" area since the announcement on Jan 20. I don't think she's back-pedaling there.

However, she is systematically trying to discredit our statements and our character. Now, she makes mention of "disrespectful language" in the same breath that she accuses us of making false statements and spreading misinformation. We must continue to LEARN, educate, spread accurate information, and be good ambassadors of the sport.

That's a hell of a lot of work, but these efforts become completely undermined when chit idiots are verbally abusing government officials in public. There could be a thousand responsible people at a protest and 10 that are causing trouble in some shape or form, however the 10 rotten apples will get 95% of the media attention which is what 95% of the general public bases their opinions on.

and that's exactly what seems to continue to happen...... however, how do we as the "responsible respectful" people teach these clowns that they are doing more harm than good?

Ronaha

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
People have the right to say whatever they want,this chick is mental,I feel even more sick about the NDP now.....how dare they use ranchers voice after bill 6!!

Cdnfireman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Her claims of "misinformation" are the first steps to discrediting any opinion contrary to the government doctrine. She has no intention of listening to the OHV community. The government will continue to marginalize anybody that disagrees. The left wing is intent on implementing this Y2Y concept and its restrictions on use and access to the foothills and mountains all the way to the Yukon.
Notice how there's no complaints about the billion dollar plus development that is getting approved just outside of Canmore. This sends the message that it's acceptable to alter the wild lands provided the users are elitist latte slurping urbanites that want a luxury get away for the weekend. Any of us working class stiffs that like to get out and camp, quad and relax in the country are looked upon as destructive uneducated rednecks.
And all the ranchers that have the sweetheart grazing lease deals along the mountains, they better look out too. They get to use, profit from and restrict access to thousands of acres along the foothills. It won't be long before some environmental group decides that the cattle grazing are eating all the grass that should go to Bambi and all the other cute little creatures of the forest and starts demanding that cattle be removed and grazing leases be rescinded.
We need to continue fighting this, but we also need to make it known clearly to the wild rose and conservative parties that we expect them to make a point of standing against this too.

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I suppose it's the last governments fault trump got elected too....
Sooner or later we will all learn that you can't trust a word that comes out of this women's mouth .
She is not on our side .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KatMan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey, so I got blocked from her Facebook page listed earlier in this thread. All my comments were truthful and respectful. Problem was they were also relevant and not in line with her way of thinking. She has also gone through all comments and deleted any references to her lying to the variouse OHV clubs, or anything else she didn't like. Transparency at its best.

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I guess if we don't agree with the new NDP philosophy,we are disrespectful.....
She put it in writing that OHV were going to be permitted, then pulled the plug ..
She got caught lying ...
In writing .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

doorfx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey, so I got blocked from her Facebook page listed earlier in this thread. All my comments were truthful and respectful. Problem was they were also relevant and not in line with her way of thinking. She has also gone through all comments and deleted any references to her lying to the variouse OHV clubs, or anything else she didn't like. Transparency at its best.

Someone should copy and paste this on her FB page. I would ,but I don't do FB.

Top Bottom