Anyone want to help out with a hurt dog named "Buddy"? Sad story.,,,

sled-fiend

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.raintek.ca
Came across a pretty sad story this morning, I called up the local new channel and got them to do a quick story on the scenario. I've got it set up with the local SPCA so any donations made I'll match until we get the needed funding to fix him up for a new home:)

Any donations can be made through Penny at the Victoria SPCA 250-388-7722.

Here's a link to the news story:

http://bcove.me/2ywn24mk

Thx,

Geoff

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Poor Buddy. Sometimes people can be short sighted when it comes to owning pets. I am glad good people have stepped in for Buddy's care! :)

what_next

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
hopefully they'll still be money left to raise in 7 days
if not... well... my thought was there and so much the better for the pooch

Pinner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My personal opinion, it would've been best to put Buddy down. That said, what's done is done, and at this point Buddy needs our help, just spoke to Penny 250-388-7722 (ex 204) and donated $50.

shoppingcart111

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
He was frightened by blasting? What type of blasting and was this near a residence? Or was the dog on a random roof?

sled-fiend

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.raintek.ca
He was frightened by blasting? What type of blasting and was this near a residence? Or was the dog on a random roof?

Rock blasting for a new condo/townhouse complex. I believe he jumped off a balcony or open window, not a roof. Who knows though, maybe he hadn't been let out for a long time and was trying to escape. Can't say the exowner sounds all that credible after leaving the dog without care for a month.

shoppingcart111

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Abviously the owner was at fault but I was just wondering if the blasting company would be liable in some way, not proper notice to evac the premices during blasting? I cant spell:(. Either way hugh props to you good sir for doing this!

sumsupport

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.absoluteadventure.ca
The SPCA and vet clinics play some really dirty pool in situations like this. The owner was told the dog had tendon damage, and surgery may not help. Tendon damage, not broken limbs. The kind of damage that so many of us have "walked off" or ignored for longer than we should before seeking medical attention.

AND, the surgery will take weeks-months to recover from. She made the devastating choice to have the dog put down because she couldn't afford the surgery.

The SPCA turns around and talks about how the owner made this dog go without medical treatment for a month, and now it's up to society to fork up the money, and SOMEONE ELSE to take care of a dog that is going to have to be packed around to eat, drink and piss for the next few weeks.

Chances are pretty good that the original owner would have loved the opportunity to have the surgery paid for so she could give this animal that she loves, a second chance. She's already invested 6 years into a dog that looks otherwise healthy, and is very sociable and well behaved, judging by the clips.

We tend to judge ourselves by our best intentions, and other's by their worst deed. Maybe we need to switch that around once in a while.

what_next

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Abviously the owner was at fault but I was just wondering if the blasting company would be liable in some way, not proper notice to evac the premices during blasting? I cant spell:(. Either way hugh props to you good sir for doing this!
Why?
Blasting companies blast according to what city council tells them, they distribute public warnings by mail to every household/appartment that they'll be blasting everyday at 6pm for the next week (example)
they use blast mats so why would anyone evacuate? you arent going to evacuate hundreds of residents for a bit of ground tremors are you? you you arent
if that was the case you'd have to evacuate Coppercliff Ontario every morning when the Coppercliff North and South mines blasts, or Balmertown when Campbell mine blasts.... and so on and so forth

most dogs are afraid of thunder, now multiply that by 10 with the ground shaking... obviously you'll have a spooked dog

sled-fiend

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.raintek.ca
The SPCA and vet clinics play some really dirty pool in situations like this. The owner was told the dog had tendon damage, and surgery may not help. Tendon damage, not broken limbs. The kind of damage that so many of us have "walked off" or ignored for longer than we should before seeking medical attention.

AND, the surgery will take weeks-months to recover from. She made the devastating choice to have the dog put down because she couldn't afford the surgery.

The SPCA turns around and talks about how the owner made this dog go without medical treatment for a month, and now it's up to society to fork up the money, and SOMEONE ELSE to take care of a dog that is going to have to be packed around to eat, drink and piss for the next few weeks.

Chances are pretty good that the original owner would have loved the opportunity to have the surgery paid for so she could give this animal that she loves, a second chance. She's already invested 6 years into a dog that looks otherwise healthy, and is very sociable and well behaved, judging by the clips.
We tend to judge ourselves by our best intentions, and other's by their worst deed. Maybe we need to switch that around once in a while.

Yes how malicious of them to raise money and find him a good home and get him surgery. I saw the pictures of the dogs front legs from the weekend when he was turned in, their is no way any one in their right mind could think it could be "walked off". They looked snapped in half between the elbow and paw. Even now with his legs fully splinted and on pain medication he whimpers quite frequently, I can imagine how he was for the month prior.

As far as the SPCA pawning him off on someone else to be "packed around, to eat drink and piss" their was a line up of people in their wanting to adopt him when the paperwork was being filled out, I don't think anyone was looking at it as a burden to take him on. Puppies are a ton of work, and so is this adoption, no one made anyone go in their out of their own will.

The original owner and I spoke this morning, she said that even if she had the money for surgery, she doesn't have the time to deal with his recovery process and knows she made the right choice turning him in.

At the end of the day, Buddy needed help and he got it, that's a good enough ending for me.

Top Bottom