Anyone run Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armor tires?

Richadge

Reaction score
I'm contemplating getting a set of these tires and am wondering if anybody has these and how they perform. I'm curious as to how they do in snow/ice and durability. I do mostly highway driving, but when I want to go off-road for sledding or quadding, I want to know these tires will work. I drive a F-150 Super Crew 4X4.

Thanks.

KawisakiRider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had/have a set for my 2008 2500HD and for the hiway they are very good, snow and ice I would say above average, their no snow tire but good none the less. Durability, I only put 30000kms on the and they seemed to hold up decently. If your interested I wouldn't mind getting them outta my shed they are 27570R18 with the Kevlar in them. Also average for mud but if you do alot of off-roading I wouldn't get them.

Scuba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I run these tires on all 39 of the company trucks that i'm responsible for I got over 100k out of my last set, as for winter tires they are the best of the all season radials. If your not going through mud that's up to the door handles you should be ok. I would recommend them for sure.

youngpolarisguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have them on my f350, they seem to wear pretty good but when i have have a load on they don't seem to handle it very well, the truck seems sloppy (like bad side wall flex feeling) and with the trailer on its worse. I have heard that complaint from a few people. The dunlop rovers i have on my f150 are twice the tire and half the price.

JaySimon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I run them on my 03 F250 gas job.

They came with the truck when I bought it, some 25,000k ago. They are wearing great, and handle well enough in the snow and ice. Only time I wasn't happy with them was heading to forester down an iced up road. Studs would have encouraged a lot more confidence. I don't take my truck into mud pits if I can help it, so no idea how they work there. They work great on all the forestry roads I've driven though.

So in conclusion, I like them for what I do.

STYKO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am buying a set tomorrow myself at fountain tire for my truck, buy 3 get 4th free!!!!!!

My Dad has been using them sometime with 100,000km each set, great tire for highway, ice and snow.....not sure on the mud...I stay out of the mud with my trucks, that's what the quad is for!!!!

shawnmcgr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have them on my f350, they seem to wear pretty good but when i have have a load on they don't seem to handle it very well, the truck seems sloppy (like bad side wall flex feeling) and with the trailer on its worse. I have heard that complaint from a few people. The dunlop rovers i have on my f150 are twice the tire and half the price.

I've had the similar experience. Unloaded it's all good but pulling a trailer they seem a bit soft. I run them year round on a chev 2500hd dmax and they are not as stable pulling my trailer (5500lbs) as my last set of tires. I did step up from 245/75r16 to 265/75r16. I thought maybe the bigger size was making them feel a bit softer. They are not unstable, just a bit softer feeling than the factory tire (I check my tire pressure before tying the trailer on).

I've only put 10,000 kms on them but wear seems normal, and I'm hard on tires. This is my forth set of tires with 110,000kms on my truck.

I just use the truck for hauling sleds and travel trailer so no real mud use. But they do work good in snow, that's the reason I bought them as they stay on year round. The last ride we put in last year was up Morrisey with 1ft fresh on the road.

Good all around tire I think.

Last edited:

youngpolarisguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Maybe your PSI isn't high enough in your tires for the load your towing??:beer:

65psi in the front and 80psi in the rear right size load rating and everything, their good with just the quad or somthing in the box, but put a load in the truck and hook on the trailer its a diffrent story. Its kinda sad cause my 1/2 ton handles the same load better, and the only thing i can chalk it up to is the tires.

Richadge

Reaction score
I've noticed they have a "Pro Grade" version of these tires. Is this what you guys are running?

ckmoose

Reaction score
I had/have a set for my 2008 2500HD and for the hiway they are very good, snow and ice I would say above average, their no snow tire but good none the less. Durability, I only put 30000kms on the and they seemed to hold up decently. If your interested I wouldn't mind getting them outta my shed they are 27570R18 with the Kevlar in them. Also average for mud but if you do alot of off-roading I wouldn't get them.

PM Sent

KawisakiRider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That's the ones I have they just have Kevlar re-enforcement in the side wall or something.
I only towed with them a couple time but never noticed them being soft and one tow was upwards of 20000lbs:eek:.

summ-it-up

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i the company i worked for until recently has these on all their vehicles. great tires for highway service winter/summer, ok for a small mud hole.

only problem we had was 4 of the trucks had the sidewall issues, ended up blowing the tire. on the one truck it actually delaminated and tore apart the side of the truck.

BC Sno-Ghost

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I bought a set for my F150 4x4 super cab last year but made the mistake of getting the "Passenger" truck tire and not the "Light" truck tire. They were really good in the snow but 11,000 kms later they were at least half worn. Went back to the dealer and they gave me a good deal on upgrading to the LT tire over the P tire.

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
Just so y'all know........ Consumer reports did a comparo of 14 all-terrain truck tires and the silent armor was rated 13th out of the 14 tires.......... Fyi

#1: Pirellie scorpion atr
#2: Yokohama geolander a/t-s
#3: Bridgestone dueler a/t revo
#4: Michelin ltx a/t2
#5: Toyo open country a/t
#6: Kumho road venture at kl78
#7: Firestone destination a/t
#8: Nitto terra grappler at
#9: Cooper discoverer atr
#10: Fuzion x11
#11: Kely safari trex
#12: Dayton timerline atii
#13: Goodyear wrangler silent armor
#14: Gener grabber at2

these are all all terrain tires and the silent armor was worst in the category of ice braking, rolling resistance, wet braking, and average in dry braking, handling, hydroplaning, ride, and noise, and did a little better in snow traction, and treadlife...but they had no "best of" categories................

If anyone wants a copy of this report, send me a pm with your fax # and i could send you a copy..........

Last edited:

STYKO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just so y'all know........ Consumer reports did a comparo of 14 all-terrain truck tires and the silent armor was rated 13th out of the 14 tires.......... Fyi

#1: Pirellie scorpion atr
#3: Bridgestone dueler a/t revo
#4: Michelin ltx a/t2
#5: Toyo open country a/t
#6: Kumho road venture at kl78
#7: Firestone destination a/t
#8: Nitto terra grappler at
#9: Cooper discoverer atr
#10: Fuzion x11
#11: Kely safari trex
#12: Dayton timerline atii
#13: Goodyear wrangler silent armor
#14: Gener grabber at2

these are all all terrain tires and the silent armor was worst in the category of ice braking, rolling resistance, wet braking, and average in dry braking, handling, hydroplaning, ride, and noise, and did a little better in snow traction, and treadlife..... Had no "best of" categories................

If anyone wants a copy of this report, send me a pm with your fax # and i could send you a copy..........

Keyword "Consumer Report" ....you ever read reports on anything, one person likes them, one person hates them...people in southern states need different tires then us up here and so on.....does the consumer report rate each person on their abillities to drive in snow or ice in the first place, go to the fountire tire web site, I think they rate 9 out 10 on all categories...but then again who did the repot on that study???? Perhaps the report you speak was done here, not sure....

Just saying....word of mouth in the area you live and drive in is probably best bet....looks like most people on the S&M seem to like the slient armors.....

js23r0b

Reaction score
i have had 3 sets of these tires and the last set have about 130,000 km on them.if you have a 2500 truck,it is easy to overload these trucks.make sure the air pressure is checked regularly and be sure they are at 65 psi or the maximum recommended pressure.use only the E rated tires.rotate them when needed.i pulled a trailer up and down the Kootenay pass for many years and if you know that area,it has a lot of snow.these are the best tires i have ever had.as for the fellow who has problems with the truck moving around on the road,make sure you have the weight even and you are not overloaded.it is easy to do with a 3/4 ton truck.i know i did it many times.don't blame the tires for that.most people have too much weight on the hitch too.i did that many times. as far as mud goes,if you drive in mud all the time,buy mud tires. ha ha.like the Yokohama tires my friend has.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score

I assume this is the All/Terrain-Snow tire?

I liked the A/T tires on my 2500HD in the summer for highway driving. In the mud forget it and in the snow even in a flat staging area they were ridiculous. That's my finding and you can figure my feelings for that survey.

Top Bottom