Anyone recognize this sled? Hoping to find the owner

bbtoys

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Kinda sucks to be in limbo like this. Should be able to get it off the mountain and then put a financial lien against it? Don't tell Notley people are leaving there oil drippin' sleds on the hill or all heck will break loose.
can't just take it off until you know what the story is. run vin find out the story, then decide what to do. we do it all the time with sleds that are left behind. if you pull it before you know and the guy comes back for it 2 months later and it is in town you have to give it to him. we have been there before as well.

rsaint

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Get the number off turbo and work backwards with it, have done it with a aerocharger and found who it went to.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
can't just take it off until you know what the story is. run vin find out the story, then decide what to do. we do it all the time with sleds that are left behind. if you pull it before you know and the guy comes back for it 2 months later and it is in town you have to give it to him. we have been there before as well.
Not that easy if the VIN has been ground off like they said? Its obviously a stolen sled? No?

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
Here was a picture of the vin
dba1f31dbf69807c18905f6bb16938a8.jpg

And a few more of the sled
8a3c54669b4b7410307c9799e17caf02.jpg

80c7613ac010db70d65f72111244573a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Its possible if it was stolen no one will admit it was theirs as they were potentially paid through insurance for it and now don't want to be on the hook for recovery costs if it leads back to them.

But as mentioned, if its the original motor the motor VIN can be traced back by a dealer to the original purchaser. I know people who have recovered their sleds by doing this. Find the sled, tunnel VIN ground off, motor VIN intact and traced back.

Captjacksparrow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Its possible if it was stolen no one will admit it was theirs as they were potentially paid through insurance for it and now don't want to be on the hook for recovery costs if it leads back to them.

But as mentioned, if its the original motor the motor VIN can be traced back by a dealer to the original purchaser. I know people who have recovered their sleds by doing this. Find the sled, tunnel VIN ground off, motor VIN intact and traced back.

If they were payed through insurance, they no longer own the sled, the insurance company does. Thus, the insurance company would be on the hook for any costs incurred.

HotShotHarry

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Its a bit of a dilemma I'd say. If it was left on the hill, there is a chance parts will be stripped off it vs trying to recover the cost of getting it off the mountain. Hopefully it is in a spot where it can be taken out with a sled and toboggan vs a chopper charge. Either way, there should be a means of getting the local clubs expense back, either through the insurance company or future sale of the sled. Good Luck.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If they were payed through insurance, they no longer own the sled, the insurance company does. Thus, the insurance company would be on the hook for any costs incurred.

Not all agencies share info. If it was paid out then the owner would just have to provide proof of such. That is sometimes a hassle.

I had a truck stolen. Never turned up. Deemed missing and paid. It turned up several months after the fact and had been found a few hours away towed to another town impound. I got a call from the RCMP saying my truck was in the impound and was expected to pay towing and storage fees. Took months to clear it up through the insurance company.

As far as the RCMP were concerned I held the title. The insurance company wrote it off as a theft but in the registry it remained in my name. Then to get city police reports sent to rcmp and letters from insurance. What a pain.

This is all hypothetical anyways. It was just a possibility of many. Could be other reasons the vin was removed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
Its a bit of a dilemma I'd say. If it was left on the hill, there is a chance parts will be stripped off it vs trying to recover the cost of getting it off the mountain. Hopefully it is in a spot where it can be taken out with a sled and toboggan vs a chopper charge. Either way, there should be a means of getting the local clubs expense back, either through the insurance company or future sale of the sled. Good Luck.
Really surprised it's still all there. It's been there at least 5 weeks.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

VARDA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The sled will be removed tomorrow. We just wanted it off the mountain and this post was simply to see if anyone recognized it.

Thanks

Ramjet15x

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There are other identifiers on the chasis at different locations, unfortunately you have to pull it apart to get to then, the manufacturer is able to release locations to police for ident purposes. As a metallurgist, unless the area has been obliterated it can be identified using mild etching and watching for the stress from the stamping come out.

Top Bottom