Anyone every replace chaincase housing?

JZ1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Had a hairline crack and fixed it with JB weld at beginning of season and it held all season until today. I was unlloading sled at shop and it came apart.

image.jpg image.jpg

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If it was mine, at this point there is a bit of work ahead so I would look to an aftermarket belt drive that might not use the stock adjuster location. I believe TKI does use the stock adjuster location, I am unsure if C3 does.

Now, if you do not want to go that route, I did a quick search and found this on fleabay SKI DOO 2013 REV XR GSX 600 HO Etec Chaincase Chain Case E TEC XP TNT 800R 12 13 | eBay

Pretty good price considering it comes with just about everything, but i have no idea what year sled you have so you would need to confirm fitment, and there are numerous other used ones for that price and cheaper. Then you have some time you will need to invest in drilling out all the rivets and replacing. Check around for a stainless bolt replacement rather than new rivets but I am sure some guys who have done a few will chime in and offer their own suggestions.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You can't weld chain cases very good. They are alloyed with magnesium and welding is not good. I tried to weld about half dozen of them now and none of the turned out very good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Roger roger, wasn't sure where on the case it was or if it was part of the chassis also. Oler's pic makes it much clearer, probably need it to be sealed pretty good down that low also as it likely sees oil (can't just get it tacked up).

flatslide

Reaction score
Looks like you're from Alberta there are lots of good sled wreckers, or try Kijiji. If you can't find one let me know what year make and model and I should be able to locate one for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BeachSled

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Deano670 on here has a couple complete chain cases for sale. PM him on here, or call him at the shop.

Got boost want snow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just replace it will only be a few hundred. I don't think I would run without a tensioner, just my opinion. Why would it crack? I

JZ1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
has anyone here ever replaced the housing before?

Shadam

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yes. wot machine?

you were unloading at the shop ???

wot better place to wreck ...

JZ1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yes. wot machine?

you were unloading at the shop ???

wot better place to wreck ...

2011 summit etec.

I knew I was going to have to replace it as I had it patched with JB weld. Very lucky it break miles from the truck.

anyway I found a service/repair manual and got the old one off, it came of in many pieces. Thought I had all the bolts and rivets removed but missed one, it was behind the chaincase, in the middle, under the oil tank. Not sure how the hell you would remove that rivet if you wanted the case to come off nicely, it's in a real sh1tty spot

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
2011 summit etec.

I knew I was going to have to replace it as I had it patched with JB weld. Very lucky it break miles from the truck.

anyway I found a service/repair manual and got the old one off, it came of in many pieces. Thought I had all the bolts and rivets removed but missed one, it was behind the chaincase, in the middle, under the oil tank. Not sure how the hell you would remove that rivet if you wanted the case to come off nicely, it's in a real sh1tty spot

You disassemble pretty much the whole sled. The case is one of the first things installed at the factory.

NoBrakes!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My friend Riley broke his in the same spot this year but on an 08. He found a replacement case and one was much heavier than the other. not sure if they're all made with some magnesium or are some all aluminum? I think theres a bolt from DOO that replaces that one rivet you missed as well when you're going back together

TryHonesty

Reaction score
Holy crap, how did it break in the first place? something hit it?

id figure that would be one of the tougher parts on the boat.

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ive seen a few break there. Im guessing its from too loose of chain tension. Chain keeps slapping the tensioner and eventually weakens the material around it. Just a theory. The ones we seen go were from guys that dont maintain their sleds. (ie. dont check chain tension)

Top Bottom