Anyone bicycle to work?

sledneck_03

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I started on may 1st biking to work. I use to bike everywhere and ride trails and stuff but haven't really road in 6 years. its about 11.5 km to work. Takes 25-30 minutes to drive and 30-40 to bike depending on wind. Losing lbs and takes about the same time its a win win and its a plus blowing by the bumper to bumper traffic. If i do it all summer and into the fall i cant wait to see how much better shape ill be for sledding this winter.

Was looking into a new bike, mines an older schwinn moab (before they went out of business and their name bought to build cheep bikes for Canadian tire) looks like it would be like $1200- $1500 to replace it other than would have 29" wheels and disk brakes. Got my bike fully tuned up and runs like new so i may just keep it as a commuter and if i get back into trails get a fully suspended.

-lenny-

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have given serious thought to cycling to work, but it would be tight timewise to go home for lunch... Also, I am not interested in riding on roads. I don't trust other drivers. If I build a bridge, I could ride to work and only have to cross one road...

Whitecourt-20130510-00493_zps1be02c53.jpg

Cat_Girl

Reaction score
Website
www.ralphsmotorsports.com
so this has been bugging me for a while now, and maybe I'm way out of line but I figure let's hear what someone who bikes to work says...... (forgive me, my enter key is not working). Everyday when I drive to work there are bicyclists on the road. They ride along side the traffic and "blow by" cars stopped at red lights. And when we come to a red light, the bicyclists, who want to have as much of a right to the road as motor vehicles, will "blow by" the stopped cars to the front of the line. When the light turns green they will signal to turn left, and basically in my opinion, cut the first car off. I don't know. This just bugs me. If you want to have as much right to be on the road as a car, then you should wait your turn like all the other cars!

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If I was closer to work I would. It is about 35 Kms each way. I could do it but it would be tough going for awhile. I used to ride that much each day when I was about twenty. Not so much now lol. Just riding around the hamlet is work for me now.

-lenny-

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
so this has been bugging me for a while now, and maybe I'm way out of line but I figure let's hear what someone who bikes to work says...... (forgive me, my enter key is not working). Everyday when I drive to work there are bicyclists on the road. They ride along side the traffic and "blow by" cars stopped at red lights. And when we come to a red light, the bicyclists, who want to have as much of a right to the road as motor vehicles, will "blow by" the stopped cars to the front of the line. When the light turns green they will signal to turn left, and basically in my opinion, cut the first car off. I don't know. This just bugs me. If you want to have as much right to be on the road as a car, then you should wait your turn like all the other cars!

When the light turns green, don't you pass the bike anyway?

Either way, I don't have the nerve to ride on the road. So thats not me that is pissing you off lol!

sledneck_03

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

yah i dont do that, thats lame, saskatoon luckily has tons of bike paths and lanes, they dont want people slowing traffic at all. I stay on the side walks as much as possible cause i dont trust people either.

I also have to ride through a dog park, the sign says to slow to a walking pace but at 6;30 in the morning im motoring. There is a bypass trail but people walk their dogs on it too so its a gamble. One morning i was pedaling close to 30 km/h and passed a lady and she almost jumped out of her skin hahah.

Only downside i find are people that dont stop at the stop signs! they stop at the road and block the cross walks but they give me that **** im in your crosswalk look of panic once in a while and its worth it.

Top Bottom