Any members laid off due to the virus?

meierjn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We have most administrative staff setup to work from home. I will be solely working from home shortly. My wife ran a day home and we shut it down last week. Some of the parents were understanding but others didn't really understand the severity of the situation and why it was in their families best interest to limit possible exposures to their children. I think that's changed now. My son works at a local fast-food restaurant. The restaurant had closed but the drive through still remains open. We told him that he's done after this week.

tiger666

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My plant isn't running due to my spring shut down which ends this week.H.R. is calling all plant employee's to make sure their not sick or have been in contact with anyone who is,before they come in for start up next monday.I fear if I'm gonna get it its going to be from one of them(they have been off for 10 days).

Couch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Our company is travel / tourism sector so that would seem to have **** the bed for summer 2020.

No problem to manage / recover from a slow season but if the distancing / flight restrictions / down market continues into mid April then 2020 is a write off and possibly won't be permitted to operate.
Really sucks as we had company positioned for exit strategy / transition within next 2 to 4 years - minimal debt and strong cash flow + contingency reserve - but a lot of effort may be for naught. The uncertainty is the killer - unable to plan other than scenarios of late start with atleast 50% decrease in sales or no resumption til Summer 2021 and zero revenue till Feb / March 21.

Started 35 years ago when interest rates were at 18%+ and survived SARS / mad cow/ 911 / plus a couple of general economic downturns so we'll still be around ...kids might want to step up after this ... or run for the hills - not sure.

Wife is set to retire in June with ok pension plus benefits ....things could be worse ..

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
I am sorry to hear about your layoffs. I can't imagine how you feel under the circumstances. It would be hard to not blame the media/politicians (Trudope in particular) for the demise of a pretty good economy with the thought about the f*cking "agenda".

Be strong and I really hope that as Canadians, we can find a way to get the economy rolling and back to our normal life. Life under Trudope sucks!

Stg2Suby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I can confirm small / discretionary projects for the Fort Mac oil producers are being shut down due to coronavirus, the small project office building I work out of went from about 30 to zero people as of yesterday. Field construction crews are being laid off, supervisory and project support are sent to work from home doing what they can but this won't last long before they get laid off too. I'm in the latter category.

edit - I should clarify the oil price crash had a lot to do with the small projects being shelved. But the coronavirus risk, especially the fear of it getting into the camps then the camp people getting the site operations & maintenance staff infected, caused them to shut the remaining projects down on Sunday

Last edited:

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Were still going, package material manufacturers have been deemed essential so we will continue to run, lots of overtime due to people off for child care and quarantines from travel. Well see how it pans out

Billy Boy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have been working from home and I go into work a couple times a week for a few hours just to checkup on things. Not sure how long this is going to keep up like this getting a bit concerned; These are unchartered waters!!

Beels

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm in commission based sales in an essential industry. Company has decided to lock their buildings down to employees only. Sales force, including myself are working from home with no timeline as to when that will change.
Wife works in student services in education. Were told to stay home last Friday and this week, and await instructions on when to return. Still unsure on what happens next week, whether they get laid off, paid out until the end of June or go back in to school to clean from top to bottom.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Been working at home for the last week and continuing that indefinitely for now. Wife is off work until April 6th at earliest due to a non-corona illness as she works with seniors. We have also shut down our hospitality business to reduce exposure.

Dawizman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just wondering if any members (or family members) are laid off due to the virus. MY wife got laid off last friday and we applied for EI today. Took 1.5 hours to do it. I was more than glad that she was laid off as she worked at a daycare. Hard times for many people. 1/2 million people applied for EI last week. Going to be as much this week I'm thinking.
Not laid off myself, but it was just as hard to do. I had to layoff 1/3 of our employees, cut hours for the rest, and give myself and other managers a substantial pay cut (50%).

CatMan16

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Found out yesterday that June 30 will be my last day of employment at my current workplace. They are shutting down all pressure control divisions in Canada. Anyone looking for an Electronic Technologist with informal training in small engine repair, autobody, auto mechanic, carpentry, landscaping, hydraulic systems, equipment operator... I might take two weeks off in July but would like to be working again by July 15th.

LUCKY 7

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That's crappy. I know TJ's autobody in Fernie is looking for a body guy
Found out yesterday that June 30 will be my last day of employment at my current workplace. They are shutting down all pressure control divisions in Canada. Anyone looking for an Electronic Technologist with informal training in small engine repair, autobody, auto mechanic, carpentry, landscaping, hydraulic systems, equipment operator... I might take two weeks off in July but would like to be working again by July 15th.

CatMan16

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks I am planning to stay close to home in Red Deer and would take a lot of training to be an actual body man. I would say I am a better detailer.

bobsledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I work for a multinational national. Never make knee jerk reactions but long-term plans. About 2500 employees in the Americas division I am in and we are laying off around 1000 people. It is Covid 19 related as well as oil prices. Company slashed the dividend by 66 percent. Firsttime its been reduced since world war 2.
Nothing happens quickly. I will be laid off with last day in office August 31. Been looking forwardt to it. Can't wait.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I work for a multinational national. Never make knee jerk reactions but long-term plans. About 2500 employees in the Americas division I am in and we are laying off around 1000 people. It is Covid 19 related as well as oil prices. Company slashed the dividend by 66 percent. Firsttime its been reduced since world war 2.
Nothing happens quickly. I will be laid off with last day in office August 31. Been looking forwardt to it. Can't wait.
Good for you bud!

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Me, my wife and daughter all got laid off in March do to this covid and bad economy/ sh!ty oil prices. I have found work but it’s not good work but I can’t complain. My company just called me the other day and extended my lay off another 60 days so won’t be going back there. My wife hasn’t found anything. The restaurant that my daughter works for has started doing curb side pick up so she getting the odd day. But not enough to keep her bills paid so she’s moving back in with us. I hope things pick up soon!

crazy_wheeler

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was laid off April 3rd from Halliburton. Most days I can keep myself busy puttering around the yard decluttering the junk that accumulated over the years. Wife is able to work from home & has a stable position w/ the CFIA so that helps

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I’ve been laid off from Halliburton since May 5 myself. Borrrrrred.

Top Bottom