Reaction score
Website
www.zx7r.de
hi there

some might remember i had my clutches fixed last winter
that was fine than did 2 mountaintrips and pissed arround here

last trip all of a sudden flapflapflap my track hitting the tunnel

im just WTF ?????

first i thought my shock broke or one of the springs or something cause u lift the track of the ground set it down and she just sank like 3inches down

well anyway made it back to the shop cleaned hear up and seen oil under my bellypan
soon enough found that my driver bearing right side blew apart the seal is ripped in 2 pieces and just barely hangs on the driveraxle any longer

question now

i know its a big job to fix it cause i believe track and everything has to come out
the seal and that goldplate behind it are cheap i think it was 48bucks per side

is there any info from u guys what could make my work a bit easier never done it before got the shop got hoists got everything just dont wanna damage anything
i helped a buddy 2years ago and i only remember that we had so much trouble getting the suspension back in the tunnel cause the wholes didnt wanna line up without pringing the crap out of the springs

thx for any help apriciate it !

99summitx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had my suspension out a couple or three times last year changing drive sprokets, torsion springs and shock( i no would have been better to do all at once) anyway by the third time it was easy. Make sure sled is lifted from rear bumper, higher the better, release the torsion springs compleatly, not just on lowest setting and use something to keep track weight off suspesion when lining up axles( leave rear axle out till rest in place. Swear a little, grunt a few times, piece o cake...Good luck One more thing put drive axle in before the seal and bearing and press in with lower gear bolt. Hope that helps.

snowzombie

Reaction score
There are a few tricks that can make the skid and track removal easier.
First things first, what are you talking about when you say seal.:confused:
There is no actual seal the bearing is a sealed bearing and there is a o-ring that is placed around the bearing before the retainer is installed. Also a failed bearing should not affect your suspension the way you described, you may want to inspect it carefully when it is out.

summitx wrote
One more thing put drive axle in before the seal and bearing and press in with lower gear bolt. Hope that helps.

The bearing should basically slip on to the shaft with little preasure by hand, if you were to use the gear to press it in you would the need to remove it to install the retainer on the bearing.

a few things that may help
> install shaft through clutch side and then pull it back into the chaincase.
> make sure to properly locate and lock the offset collar on the clutch side bearing.
> a small amount of RTV around the splines on the gear before install will stop oil seapage along the shaft.
> if the biggest problem you had before was reinstalling the skid you can back the track adjustment off all the way and take the pressure off the springs as summitx said, you bassically need the Cat tool to do this on the short side of the spring or remove it from the slider block on the rail and carefully release it. another option is to compress the susp. about half the travel before you lift it up and tie the rear arm in the compressed position with a ratchet strap, will make lining up the rear arm easier when reinstalling. always install the front arm first when reinstalling and make sure the pivot point on the rear shock doesn't flip over to the low side will cause alot of damage.

Attachments

• 0736-678_s.gif
    0736-678_s.gif
    25.5 KB · Views: 263

bigdog67

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey Fossy
Did you get the help you needed? I had the same thing happen to me last year .The job its self isn't all that bad,just time consuming.. Just make sure you do a good inspection of your chain case and make sure you put the gears back in the same way.If you're here in Edmonton,pm me if you need help,if I have time I'll slide by and give you a hand.

FossY

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.zx7r.de
first i goota go back home in 2 weeks for 3 weeks
after that i want to do it
prob üut üictures in here from underneath couple days before i wanna start
from the suspension and all that stuff

and than maybe someone can guide which bolts and so on i really only have to take off

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
.....another option is to compress the susp. about half the travel before you lift it up and tie the rear arm in the compressed position with a ratchet strap, will make lining up the rear arm easier when reinstalling.
this simple step makes the re-installation so much easier, makes lining up the bolt holes a breeze!

excellent post snowzombie....:beer:

FossY

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.zx7r.de
ya like i said
ripping it apart we didnt had a problem when i gave a buddy in hand last year but jesus fu,,, christ was that hard to get it back together cause nothing would line up

looking actually forward to do mine with such great support from u folks here

FossY

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.zx7r.de
how u wanna help me ? im in battleford sasketchebush

would be great but i doubt u take that trip :d

ps:args just burned my toung now i got blisters on it (stupid kfc who needs gravy that hot)

Last edited:

thejoesmow

Reaction score
hi there

some might remember i had my clutches fixed last winter
that was fine than did 2 mountaintrips and pissed arround here

last trip all of a sudden flapflapflap my track hitting the tunnel

im just WTF ?????

first i thought my shock broke or one of the springs or something cause u lift the track of the ground set it down and she just sank like 3inches down

well anyway made it back to the shop cleaned hear up and seen oil under my bellypan
soon enough found that my driver bearing right side blew apart the seal is ripped in 2 pieces and just barely hangs on the driveraxle any longer

question now

i know its a big job to fix it cause i believe track and everything has to come out
the seal and that goldplate behind it are cheap i think it was 48bucks per side

is there any info from u guys what could make my work a bit easier never done it before got the shop got hoists got everything just dont wanna damage anything
i helped a buddy 2years ago and i only remember that we had so much trouble getting the suspension back in the tunnel cause the wholes didnt wanna line up without pringing the crap out of the springs

thx for any help apriciate it !
The problem is that Arctic Cat Driven driven clutch and jackshaft bearings have a notorious issue for seizing from not keeping the bearing greased. The process ususally takes a few hours to complete and if you pay a dealership, your lookingat around $250 to replace both bearings( PTO and recoil side) As far as replacing the rear suspension. You need to release the p[ressure on the rear arm( remove the rear arm springs to release pressure and then strap down the rear arm with a ratchet strap. then place the front arm into the tunnel. You shouldnt have too much a problem

Fishtank

Reaction score
Damn, looks like I ran into this issue on the weekend. Track started shuddering when doing steep climbs with the throttle pegged. I (and a buddy of mine) thought it was bottoming out hitting rocks or something then it just lost all drive to the track. We were thinking a busted chain but now it looks like it might be something more.

After the tow back (no brakes) noticed that the sides of the track are pretty badly chewed up 8(

Think I got the same issue?

Top Bottom