any heavy truck mechs here

pirate31red

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
putting an air shut off on my 09 pete. im not sure how to hook it up so it shuts off at a certain rpm is the ecm prewired or set up for such a thing any help would be grrrrreat

hypnotoad

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i'm not a mechanic but what type of PASO are you installing? on my roda deco there was a control box that reads the RPM that you set the shut off limit on.

TROLLCAT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
why do you need it to shut off at a certain rpm , is it a run away protection device

hypnotoad

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
mine is set about 150rpm above my redline, so the only way it can toggle is if the engine starts to run away or some how goes above my rev limiter

pirate31red

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
its an isx and yes need it to read rpm incase it gets a sniff of gas and runs away still have the manual switch but i would like it to kick off at about 2300 rpm

pistonbroke800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
why do you need it to shut off at a certain rpm , is it a run away protection device

Ya in case you suck gas in your air intake the truck with shut off the air supply causing the engine to stall out. Keeps it from going kablammo!!

Side note: one you install your air shut off i would recommend actually tripping it every once in a while with the truck shut off. I have had a few over the years seize open and are a pain in the azz to get working again.

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
And they actually have these cool new ones for rigs that work on a radio frequency that when a situation happens somebody hits the ESD button and sends a wireless signal to all diesels equipped with the positive air shut offs and the lease is silent within a second. Cool stuff.

Flatlander_01

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
its an isx and yes need it to read rpm incase it gets a sniff of gas and runs away still have the manual switch but i would like it to kick off at about 2300 rpm

2300 is a little low to trip at been a long time since i installed one usually a cat in a kenworth but you want to make sure you install between air to air and engine have seen between intake and air to air but it will collapse the hoses and air to air the ones i did i tied into the ecm but would reccomend you do the install yourself all the hard parts and then have cummins tie into the ecm or hall effect or proximity switch just my opion good luck and sunlight dish detergent works great for when the oil cooler fails on you.

Redturbo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You need a speed sensor that threads into the flywheel housing for rpm signal to the rev guard box. Nothing to do with the ecm, its a stand alone system. Other than needing battery power, air supply. The rev guard brain box needs to be mounted inside the cab, there not really waterproof. Replaced enough over the yrs cause of that. Power for the unit should be really battery power, as people turn the key off first. Now there is no power for the rev guard, had to rewire some of them. Typically can get air supply from governor, there is usally a pipe plug that you can get air from. Then run wires from speed sensor to rev guard, wires from air solenoid, toggle switch. Then set rpm limit, should be good to go. Anymore ?'s just ask, likely do or see 1 or these put on a week in the shop.

pirate31red

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
thank you very much redturbo its actuallly not an air system its straight electric aIRSTOP brand i have a msd rpm switch but not for that low of rpm

RMK Junky

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
Mine (RODA) is installed on a 550 Cat in a 2001 KW. I only have a manual switch for this. The rev limiter setting is a lost cause once your engine gets a sniff of gas. Unless your in the cab and can flick the switch as soon as you hear it rev..shits gonna happen FAST!! :eek: I've seen this twice in my life time and was in no hurry for a third show. The engine took off so fast that by the time I was done filling my shorts it was over. The only good thing...no explosion. Just alot of oil on the ground from a hole in the block.

RUN FOREST RUN !!! Just my :twocents:

BTW...if your ever asked to test it when in the field turn your engine off, then trip the switch and manually reset. I've had the odd clown wanting me to do this when the engine is running :nono: Then I esplain to Lucy the concequences of such a request :d

pirate31red

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the auto shut off should work ive had it on other units and worked fine.its just that im doing this install myself and tho i am an expert at many things including amateur after hour free of charge gynacology im just not much of a mech.

Apex06

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
putting an air shut off on my 09 pete. im not sure how to hook it up so it shuts off at a certain rpm is the ecm prewired or set up for such a thing any help would be grrrrreat

hey pirate,
im a HET, alot of these new ones your have to splice it into the speed sensor on the fly wheel... it just matters what type/model and what the manual says. What does the manual say to splice into? What type is it? model?

let me know im sure i can help.
Mike

Top Bottom