Any "First Ride" reports for a 2012 Summit E-tec?

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Awesome early response! thanks to all for making me even more crazy to get on the snow!

JoHNI_T

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i hope the 2013's are worth the wait.........have fun boys, sounds like the 12's are rippin!

factory boost maybe????
but it is re design year.... so that first year is always a bit touchey with doo lol,,,, but I am sure they will impress!!!! Im curious to see what comes out

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yep most of the ones we ran were on clicker 1/2. mine was on 4 with the 3" track.

dont think anythings goint to change for 2013. but i dont know much.

i highly reccomend getting an HPS CAN for all your 2012s. sounds nice, really crisp. still shaking from my 2012 experience. weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

cbsharp

Reaction score
The cleats on the track are hollowed out to shave weight aren't they? Wouldn't they be weaker and have more chance of tearing them off?

Foxstar45

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There's no air inside of the lugz or anything. BRP saying that they are hollow was dumb, there is 3 notches on the back of the lugs. Saves 1-2lbs. Won't change anything good or bad compared to a camo 2.5.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There's no air inside of the lugz or anything. BRP saying that they are hollow was dumb, there is 3 notches on the back of the lugs. Saves 1-2lbs. Won't change anything good or bad compared to a camo 2.5.

The BRP rep I spoke to swore up and down that the lugs are hollow. I asked him if I cut a lug off the track would it be hollow, he said yes. He said there was air pockets in the lugs of the track. (I have talked to this same BRP rep in the past, pretty smart this one is) haha.

I tended to believe as you said, the backs of the lugs are hollow, as in, there is a space in the notches as you say.

But hey, prove me wrong, can someone go cut a lug off their new track? I would think if it truely was hollow they would have a cross section cut open to display it.

Clay911

Reaction score
Rode in 4.5 feet of powder on the 12th and loved the freeride. Engine ran great, i clicked up to 3 at 7400 feet and helped big time.

The track works VERY similar to the CE i had on the last sled. Have to ride in more set up snow to see for sure.

As far as oil and gas, we rode 32 miles (2.8 hours) and the tank still shows full so i am not sure how much i used, ill find out when i fill up next here. Oil tank used approx 3/8 a tank lil less maybe.

Going riding 19th and 20th and will keep better track of this.

SnowDog

Reaction score
i highly reccomend getting an HPS CAN for all your 2012s. sounds nice, really crisp. still shaking from my 2012 experience. weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeeeeee

Where do you get this can from and how much?
thx.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I opted to keep the new PowderMax 2.5" on my 2012. I was seriously considering swapping it for a different track. Just ordering up some new ski's so I can ditch the DS's.

Glad you guys are having fun on your new sleds. I am being patient, very patient and not riding until the end of the month.

bobsledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I opted to keep the new PowderMax 2.5" on my 2012. I was seriously considering swapping it for a different track. Just ordering up some new ski's so I can ditch the DS's.

Glad you guys are having fun on your new sleds. I am being patient, very patient and not riding until the end of the month.

Whats' wrong with the DS ski? Pick up my sled this week and had simmons before.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Of the sleds I rode last year with the narrow stance, the sled with the DS skis didn't handle as well in the deeper snow. As was mentioned on another thread by Maxwell, they don't flex well and after I thought about it, I think thats why they didn't appear to respond as great in the deep.

Get them and try them, I am sure lots of people like them and have no issues. I don't like simmons. If you like Simmons, you might like the DS.

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Of the sleds I rode last year with the narrow stance, the sled with the DS skis didn't handle as well in the deeper snow. As was mentioned on another thread by Maxwell, they don't flex well and after I thought about it, I think thats why they didn't appear to respond as great in the deep.

Get them and try them, I am sure lots of people like them and have no issues. I don't like simmons. If you like Simmons, you might like the DS.

I found the DS to be a good ski but they don't have enough flotation, they should be an inch wider on the inside and all around the front to lift on top of the snow. In Colorado last season I was getting beat up by Pro's because the snow was so light and my sled would plow when the Pro's were getting on top of the snow. This problem rectified it self later in the season as the snow firmed up. I will be modifiying a pair of DS's this year to see if it helps.

UkrainianMudKing

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Where does one get this HPS Can?

yep most of the ones we ran were on clicker 1/2. mine was on 4 with the 3" track.

dont think anythings goint to change for 2013. but i dont know much.

i highly reccomend getting an HPS CAN for all your 2012s. sounds nice, really crisp. still shaking from my 2012 experience. weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I found the DS to be a good ski but they don't have enough flotation, they should be an inch wider on the inside and all around the front to lift on top of the snow. In Colorado last season I was getting beat up by Pro's because the snow was so light and my sled would plow when the Pro's were getting on top of the snow. This problem rectified it self later in the season as the snow firmed up. I will be modifiying a pair of DS's this year to see if it helps.

I found with wide skis like powder pros they wouldn't hold a sidehill as well, too much ski on the outside. Maybe not in that super fluffy CO snow but for an XP I found anything over 7" is a bit of an overkill, I haven't tried every single ski out there and haven't had multiple days on each ski either.

I think 6.9 Pilot's are still a good choice.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
best part about this is 6 pages and no complaints on the new 2012's go to the pro climb section 2 comments in trouble strikes. I love doo haha

Yeah it only took 4 years of the same model Summit to get to this point :)

I've said it before, if Doo could have released the 2012 in 2008, one of the other manufacturers might not be in the snowmobile buisness today!

But they didn't. The ProClimb is expected to have its ups and downs.

Top Bottom