Any 8.1L Fans out there?

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Raylar has got the goods for the 8.1 if a guy has deep pockets. they just came out with a 2.9L whipple kit that runs at 8-10 lbs of boost but you have to go to forged internals...crank, rods, and pistons. I've read detonation is an issue under boost with stock components, chunks of the pistons fly off because the upper ring lands are too close to the top of the piston.

http://www.raylarengineering.com/img/stock-piston-damage.jpg

just doing intake, cam, heads, and exhaust makes a big difference on the 8.1, up to triple digit hp increase.

Ya Raylar is the biggest game in town for the 8.1

Stainless works make the best long tube headers these days too. I have a spare 8.1 with 1000 KMS sitting in my garage , had it for years!! Gunna send Raylar my spare intake for a little polish job. I wish the Dollar wasn't so lousy I want headers too. Lol

Beels

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Had an '01 crew cab 8.1. Great truck. My old man had a '00 6.0l at the same time and we got identical mileage. Ended up trading it on a Duramax that served me well, too.

alberta60

Reaction score
One of my best buddies bought a brand new loaded 01 2500 CCSB 8.1L/ally in January 02, I think he paid 38k for it. Was a pretty great truck, lifted from day one and he put 405,000km on it with no engine work required. Thirsty as hell, and went through a tranny, couple t-cases, bunch of front end parts, and a weird electrical gremlin that would randomly drain the battery overnight. Stock to stock it'd beat my 04 F350 6.0 by half a truck length in the 1/4 mile. Then about 6 years ago, he got a used 03 8.1 dually and its a dog, even after a custom hptuners tune. He still likes it, can sit for months and then any day of the year you can hook up a booster pack and be on your way in minutes.

Summit X

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I love my '05 8.1L, had if for 8yrs now I think and it has about 160k on it. Had to redo the front end last year, but other than that it has been pretty solid. Just tires and batteries, for some reason lots of batteries (maybe because I don't drive it much, and maybe because they were originally moto-master batteries). Best empty mileage was around 13mpg, and when loaded with sleds it is somewhere usually around 10mpg. It has cold air intake and some custom exhaust work, and have thought lots about getting a tune but haven't done it yet.

Oh yeah, another fault seemed to be the amount of torque generated would twist the f
rame just enough that the cab would twist independent of the box and exhaust hangers kept breaking (at least that’s what I think it was), so I put in some braided exhaust line between the two and I’ve never had an issue since.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I love my '05 8.1L, had if for 8yrs now I think and it has about 160k on it. Had to redo the front end last year, but other than that it has been pretty solid. Just tires and batteries, for some reason lots of batteries (maybe because I don't drive it much, and maybe because they were originally moto-master batteries). Best empty mileage was around 13mpg, and when loaded with sleds it is somewhere usually around 10mpg. It has cold air intake and some custom exhaust work, and have thought lots about getting a tune but haven't done it yet.

Oh yeah, another fault seemed to be the amount of torque generated would twist the f
rame just enough that the cab would twist independent of the box and exhaust hangers kept breaking (at least that’s what I think it was), so I put in some braided exhaust line between the two and I’ve never had an issue since.

It's not that the cab moves, as the engine and exhaust is mounted the hole way to the frame

But what happens is the engine to pipe mounts are solid and the only give is the rear rubber hangers

The older 350 vortex had a doughnut and spring -bolt setup that could flex, and where bullet proof

vodoo103

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Had an '01 crew cab 8.1. Great truck. My old man had a '00 6.0l at the same time and we got identical mileage. Ended up trading it on a Duramax that served me well, too.

I also had an '01 8.1l crew cab - still kick myself for selling it. Love to find anther one in the same shape. 5000km always = 1l of oil burned, but never had a serious problem with it.

Tough on fuel when towing or when you have a heavy foot, but then again, the fuel economy for any diesel truck I've owned is nothing to brag about either.

For a few years, chev. made a 2500 avalanche with the 8.1l in it. Took one for a test drive just for fun - not practical for me, but a ton of fun. Tons of power and snakey in the short chassis.

Bigblack

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I also had an '01 8.1l crew cab - still kick myself for selling it. Love to find anther one in the same shape. 5000km always = 1l of oil burned, but never had a serious problem with it.

Tough on fuel when towing or when you have a heavy foot, but then again, the fuel economy for any diesel truck I've owned is nothing to brag about either.

For a few years, chev. made a 2500 avalanche with the 8.1l in it. Took one for a test drive just for fun - not practical for me, but a ton of fun. Tons of power and snakey in the short chassis.
2500 8.1L chevy avalanche | used cars & trucks | Edmonton | Kijiji

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

that's the only real grief I've had with mine, it seemed no battery would last more than 2 or 3 years. switched to an optima the last time and it has lived the longest so far. as for mileage, best empty mileage I've got was 17 by keeping it at 100km/hr or less. my pa had a 6 litre in a 1500 HD and we went to the city and kept track of our mileage, my 8.1 used one litre more fuel than his over the same distance. loaded them both up with junk we bought at the auction and mine got 4 mpg better than him on the way home.

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm just treating it as a cheap puller! Ya it sucks gas but what gas job doesn't when hooked to 10000#

I used the father in laws Toyota last year with the v8. I spent $375 one way to Kelowna

I'm sure this thing will too but more hp

Bought complete Amsoil oil swap for diffs, tcase, tranny and engine. So will see if that helps a bit but not holding out much hope for huge gains. But I wanted to change all fluids anyway.

Last edited:

DirtLUmp

Reaction score
7c9b652cada6d51f8c47aa12d95b605a.jpg

Just picked this bad boy up. I've been looking for almost a year for one of these things in decent shape. . 115k don't think there is a scratch on it no rust lt trim she's a beauty. It's gonna be used exclusively for pulling my rv.

DirtLUmp

Reaction score
And hey overkill mines got the sweet tape player as well might have to go digging in my parents basement for some Metallica

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

DirtLUmp

Reaction score
No I picked it up from a kid in Calgary. He said he bought it from a guy in lacombe about 4 years ago for his window washing business. It's been parked for the last 3 years.

DirtLUmp

Reaction score
So you know where I can get a good tune in rocky Tex?

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya Travis or mike from Edwards, would say more so mike as it's a gas and not a diesel

Diesel then Travis is the man

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The paint match fender flares sure look the best IMO. I've been searching for white ones. Bought a black set for $100 the other day just to help block some of the road grime.

Top Bottom