Any 8.1L Fans out there?

X-Treme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.robinsautomotive.ca
Gunna do my oil cooler lines tomorrow, one has a small leak what looks like in the crimp. Gunna swap both while I'm there!
Where these trucks bad for tranny lines like the diesels?

We just cut the crimp off and replace with gear clamps. Been a good fix for lots of trucks for long time.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You can try BlackBear performance to see if they still do 8.1 tunes. They can do it through their auto call. It's only a little more than a canned tuning unit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
P.S
This is the best part !!!
3a70d6846294452570228bd6268fc181.jpg

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
Can custom tune bully dog and live wire as well and always updateable ......Nice having the screen for live readings, including trans temp, mileage monitor, etc

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Badass69

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
May as well just buy an SCT live wire if you want the Bully Dog as that's all it is anyway. SCT is a lot more popular in the Ford world than GM.... EFIlive and HP are simpler tuning suites to use with just as much capability on GM pcms.

Considering you have a Trans temp Guage in the cluster as well as all the fuel economy stuff the screen is sort of useless... unless you want to log pids you can't see which on a stock truck is kind of meh... Lots of EFIlive and HP tuners out there that can tune an 8.1.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

ippielb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
I have EFI Live Scan and Tune, I use it on my duramax and used it on my old 5.3l and my dads. If I would've remembered and stuck with the gas side a guy could've done a tune for you but I don't trust myself on other people's gas vehicles lol

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you can find a used set of Banks headers and exhaust really helps also .
Reason I say banks as no gaskets as 5/8 flanges on headers.
Plus stainless construction .

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Raylar has got the goods for the 8.1 if a guy has deep pockets. they just came out with a 2.9L whipple kit that runs at 8-10 lbs of boost but you have to go to forged internals...crank, rods, and pistons. I've read detonation is an issue under boost with stock components, chunks of the pistons fly off because the upper ring lands are too close to the top of the piston.

stock-piston-damage.jpg

just doing intake, cam, heads, and exhaust makes a big difference on the 8.1, up to triple digit hp increase.

Polarblu

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I thought the 8.1 was obsolete? Some company tryed a 8.3 version. The turbo units as the gensets where junk. 1 shot of "oopsy" fuel gas and the valves were dropping in a week. You plant operators know what I'm sayin.....

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I thought the 8.1 was obsolete? Some company tryed a 8.3 version. The turbo units as the gensets where junk. 1 shot of "oopsy" fuel gas and the valves were dropping in a week. You plant operators know what I'm sayin.....
the 8.1 is a popular engine in the US. they made them for three or four more years after the last one went in any GM trucks. they sold well as crate engines, they came in a few different forms. workhorse, performance, and marine.

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Yes I do, had a few bad deals with that up in the Chin. Valves and coils were the main issues I think? Was a long time ago now. Man did that sucker plow through the fuel gas for a little genny.

Top Bottom