Antifreeze

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So the factory stuff is orange. I bought a jug of bro antifreeze and it's green. Can you mix these two?

i know in the past different colours would cause corrosive reactions and eat aluminum.

ulliac97

Reaction score
i think skidoo makes their own anti freeze thats orange , and i think it's just cause it's under more pressure , not 100% sure but what i herd cause i mixed the two and it doesn't cause any major problems i wouldn't think but im going to drain it all out soon and just refill it with the skidoo stuff

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
never mix different colors of antifreeze.

Please explain why. Information out there is very confusing; some say there is no problem, some say it gels, some say "Low silica like Dec cool yes"......:d

Friggin' Tex's signature line is the only thing that comes out loud and clear. Most of his typing is like mine was in grade 9 typing class........:noidea:

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
In reality YES you can mix it, it will not effect the cooling system or the motor but it will turn your coolant BROWN.
NO BRP is not in the business of making coolant so guess what, they do not make it.
Orange coolant can be purchased at any auto supplier, it is a LONG life coolant designated by its color. While green and some yellow are standard life coolant.
Orange(red) long life coolant is pretty much the standard coolant used now in most new automobiles.
As for using it in a sled like your rotax, i would keep the same color as a top up but if i was changing it you could go standard green.....its a freckin 2stroke, it won't live long enough for long life antifreeze eitherway.

So in short the orange antifreeze is formulated to last longer in service and not deteriate as quickly, does it cool better or perform better NO.
Antifreeze does have a life span while in use, generally 40,000miles for standard green antifreeze, after that it becomes corrosive.
Orange long life is a 80-100,000mile service life coolant.

Last edited:

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Please explain why. Information out there is very confusing; some say there is no problem, some say it gels, some say "Low silica like Dec cool yes"......:d

Friggin' Tex's signature line is the only thing that comes out loud and clear. Most of his typing is like mine was in grade 9 typing class........:noidea:

Long life coolant is low silica

Think u can't read, and it's not what I type

sent while I should be drinking tea's

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hahahahaha....here we go again.

U a funny guy

I'm sure dex cool is the best, easy to get to coolant to top up with

Lots of new cars have more pink than orange coolant in them from new.... But is the same stuff

sent while I should be drinking tea's

Ol' Sarge

Reaction score
Almost all of the antifreeze available today is a low-silacate formula. Compatible with diesels and aluminum. But do NOT mix the orange (Dexcool) formulas with the green or yellow types. Orange/Dexcool is the newest formula using O.A.T. (organic acid technology). The older formulas are still ethylene glycol based and the two are not compatible if mixed at higher ratios (say 50/50) or for long intervals. If you must mix them for an emergency then plan on a drain/flush/refill at the end of the season at least. I have seen mixtures form brown jelly that will plug heater cores. You may be safe in a sled cooling system but why chance it.

handyandy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just buy the long life antifreeze that Is compatible with all colours, I always keep a couple jugs of it around to use if I'm unsure what type a vehicle uses.

Top Bottom