Anti freeze problem

2010rmk800144

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i bought a 2010 polaris rmk 800 this year its the 144, and its been great except on thing, i have about 600 miles on it so far and i have an antifreeze problem. I keep gaining antifreeze, for a while it would go up and down drasticly and people kept telling me it was an air lock, so we bled it out and rode and bled it out and rode and kept doing it till i had anough and told the dealer and they told me to bring it in, so i did and they didnt find anything wrong, so i rode it and it would gain so much preasure that the antifreeze level never left the top of the cap, hot or cold engine, finaly i took it back again and they decided to change the head orings, so they did and i went and picked it up and brought it home only too see an emprety coolant bottle, so i called them and they told me to bring it back its an aitlock, so i did, and finally they got it sitting at the right level, except when it cooled down that night the antifreeze dropped about 4 inches in the reseviour, there is not antifreeze loeakign out the bottom tho, so i rode and bled it again, then let it sit and took it out today starting with the engine cold sitting over night and i put antifreeze in it up the the coldfill line, rode it for 20 miles and the hotter the engine got the higher it rose, until yet again, it hit the top of the bottle, and now sitting in the garage for 5 hours, in never went back down and thats where it sits all the time, right at the top, someone please lead me in the right direction everyone that i ask is baffled aswell as the dealer....runs strong and theres no oil in the antifreeze. i am at a loss as to whats happening

TROLLCAT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the engine has to be pressuring up the cooling system and the air is trap some where in the cooling system and thats the reason its making antifreeze I would try a different head maybe yours is warp , are there bubbles in the system when its running, To check put it up on a track stand take coolant cap off warm it up giver half throttle and watch for bubbles

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
there is no way that a motor "makes" antifreeze - antifreeze expands and contracts with heat/cold. As the engine heats up the coolant expands, as the engine cools, the coolant contracts. This is why it will fluctuate. You are riding a long track in Sask, the hotter the motor gets the more the coolant will expand (until it becomes steam). I don't understand what you mean when you say "it would gain so much preasure that the antifreeze level never left the top of the cap, hot or cold engine". If its building big pressure but not coming out the overflow valve at the top of the reservoir then your rad cap is screwed (pressure release valve), not your head o-rings.

If its staying at the top of the bottle, then so long as its not coming out the overflow hose, and if you are not losing any or the motor is not overheating then once it stablizes, ride it.

davelaw1982

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Take cold sled, lift up front end of the machine with engine lift or overhead hoist, will need a fairly good angle to get the top of the head well above the rear of sled. Start it, let it run until thermostat opens and engine gets good and warm, keeping coolant cap off to let air flow out of bottle. Set the machine down again, and check level. Add if required. I was having troubles with my 07 summit, and this fixed the issue for me!

2010rmk800144

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
there is no way that a motor "makes" antifreeze - antifreeze expands and contracts with heat/cold. As the engine heats up the coolant expands, as the engine cools, the coolant contracts. This is why it will fluctuate. You are riding a long track in Sask, the hotter the motor gets the more the coolant will expand (until it becomes steam). I don't understand what you mean when you say "it would gain so much preasure that the antifreeze level never left the top of the cap, hot or cold engine". If its building big pressure but not coming out the overflow valve at the top of the reservoir then your rad cap is screwed (pressure release valve), not your head o-rings.

If its staying at the top of the bottle, then so long as its not coming out the overflow hose, and if you are not losing any or the motor is not overheating then once it stablizes, ride it.

well i mean the antifreeze level starts at the cold line when its stone cold then as the engine gets hotter and hotter it rises until it hits the top of the cap and then stays there even when i turn the machine of and let it sit for a day or two, the dealer has no idea whats goi on bcuz we have done the air lock thing so many times, and they have done the headrings and not the thermostat, and its only a 144, and i dont trail ride its all bush and fields

2010rmk800144

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
well when im in powder the temp but the wind conditions around here kinda hardened the snow up so when i cut outta poweder anywhere from 120-140

Dynacorkle

Reaction score
Temps seem good. I was gonna suggest removing the thermostat to burp it. Or replace it and try again.

polarice

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
well when im in powder the temp but the wind conditions around here kinda hardened the snow up so when i cut outta poweder anywhere from 120-140

do your rails get hot when riding ... if so no air lock.... having said that i would think your building up combustion pressure in your cooling system whether it be a leaking gasket or a crack ...

2010rmk800144

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yea my rails get hot when im riding, and the dealer replaced the thermostat today so im hopin that works, they also said that when it gets high than 130 its gonna start to overheat..is that true?

2010rmk800144

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
do your rails get hot when riding ... if so no air lock.... having said that i would think your building up combustion pressure in your cooling system whether it be a leaking gasket or a crack ...[/QUOTE

they replaced the head orings and now the thermostat, what else should i be suggesting to them, they are just as lost as i am

polarice

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
do your rails get hot when riding ... if so no air lock.... having said that i would think your building up combustion pressure in your cooling system whether it be a leaking gasket or a crack ...[/QUOTE

they replaced the head orings and now the thermostat, what else should i be suggesting to them, they are just as lost as i am

well i have had my 900 as hot as 185 and no problems ...

Top Bottom