Another Valmont theft

Mtn-guy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just talked to one of my field guys and he said that his cousins trailer and sleds were stolen on Friday, they recovered the truck just outside of town but the trailer with sleds are gone. I do not know any specifics yet but it appears that the problem continues. Just thought that it does not hurt to post again to remind people to keep doing everything you can to protect your belongings..

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
Cheap Trailers & Sleds

BOY, THERE MUST GONNA BE A CHEAP TRAILER SALE COMING UP.... SOMEONE OUGHTA SEE A BUNCH OF TRAILERS SOMEWHERE, STORED IN A YARD??? MAKES A GUY REAL MAD. :mad:
CAN I HAVE A GUN???

Mtn-guy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya no kidding I can't believe that with this many thefts that they are not showing up for someone to question them.

kgr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thats 16 sleds in 1 month, they gotta be caught one of these trips. Call me when someone catchs up to them. Where were those sleds stolen from.

Last edited:

Mtn-guy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am not sure where they were staying yet, I should know more in a couple of days. That is alot of sleds, this reminds me of Revy a few years back I don't think they caught anyone but it has seemed to stop for the time being.

Linkz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Do these trucks have alarm systems or are the thieves that good at disabling them?

Attachments

• MtScaia_1.JPG
    MtScaia_1.JPG
    99.1 KB · Views: 51
  • MtScaia_3.JPG
    MtScaia_3.JPG
    98.9 KB · Views: 45

Summitric

Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
Wow

You'd think the insurance companies would be getting a little excited about this area, and start putting a little pressure on the RC's:alarm: .... what about video surveilance in these areas?? anyone approach the local sled club?? If its getting to be a big deal(which it is), then maybe the local Chamber of Commerce would be interested in helping out..... afterall, if sledders start frequencing other areas, then this would definately affect the Valemount/McBride areas.
We as sledders, driving for hours to get to and from the sledding hills, should demand some type of security and or prevention against theft &/or vandalisms. Maybe even rentacops, to patrol the parking lots, and hotels, staging areas, etc
The best threat against truck/trailer/sled thefts is still to disable the truck somehow..... ie. good security system, fuses, deadhead switches, immobilizers, alarms etc
Okay, I've ranted long enough:rant: just my :twocents: worth

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
You kinda have to wonder though that if people start pulling relays, fuses etc, these theives will catch onto that and will carry some spares in their pockets. As For alarm systems etc, how many people when they go to get an alarm installed on their vehicle give the shops their address, and strike up conversations with the sales people abou going here or there to go sledding with their new whatever it may be. These people now have your address, your plate number, know what kind of alarm system you have, how to disable it without triggering it, and where you ride. Just a thought, but maybe when we get work like that done on our vehicles we shouldn't be so open about what we do with the vehicle.

SLEDBUNNYRACING

Bad Bunny
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.sledbunnyracing.com
Alarm Companies

There is always a chance an alarm company could be involved but most are bonded and are good people. I personally think it's a professional group that know what they are doing. We as a sledding community need to fight back.:mad:
First I think we should use the "Boot" on our truck or trailer (along with alarms etc):rant:
Second we need to contact the local RCMP to let them know of our concerns and wortk our way up to the local politics. This is the worst advertising they can get for their local sport.
Today I will contact the RCMP overseeing McBride and Valemont to see if I can get an e-mail address that we can "individually" express our concern. I will also find out what I can about the local politics.
That my contribution to get things started. Any thoughts are weclomed.:)

Summitric

Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
Great Idea

Attaboy, Sledbunnyracing. I Think The E-mail Thing Is A Great Idea. I Bet Denise At Ridenhide, Could Help You Out There. Just Another 50 To 100 E-mails In There Inbox, Would Be A Great Idea..... I Guess We Need To Show Concern In Numbers, Right???

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
Thats the way everything works with this sport Summitric, its strength in numbers...... Unless you're a Trailseeker and dealing with Parkland County, then things go REALLY strange. But we won't get into that in here, I wonder if maybe us contacting even our local RCMP branches would have any influence on the patrol levels out there. I don't see why they don't "Ramp up" their staffing like retail stores do around busy seasons, wouldn't that make more sense? I mean you know the area is going to be busier and more populated so wouldn't you want more than Ol' Rosco P Coltrain out there keeping his eyes on everything?

Attachments

• Boys & I   with machines Feb 15-2010.jpg
    Boys & I with machines Feb 15-2010.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 49
  • Boys & I Feb 15-2010.jpg
    Boys & I Feb 15-2010.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 48
  • Cooper & Opa on the  97 Indy 700s last ride.jpg
    Cooper & Opa on the 97 Indy 700s last ride.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 46

kgr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i talked to VARDA a few weeks back and they said theres nothing they can do about it.

GRD

Reaction score
Valemount RCMP

I am not to sure how big the Valemount detachment is. I think that the Valemount detachment is also responsible for Blueriver. My dad is a retired RCMP member, at one time he was stationed in Valemount. I don't want to spit out any numbers about of members in case the 'badguys' are reading. I think for sled & truck stealers, small towns like Valemount, where the police have limited resources, are prime targets. One of the best things is for sled heads to look out for each other and question suspicious activities. Hopefully you get some response with regards to email.

SLEDBUNNYRACING

Bad Bunny
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.sledbunnyracing.com
Having dabbled in a few political issues over the years I have found that there is strength in numbers. If say 300 of us e-mail the detachment then they are going to be pressured to let the next level of authority know about our concerns. Can't stop there...the same has to happen at the local politics level. Wait a while and work your way up and eventually someone listens. But don't stop there, the media loves stories like this. After doing the right thing (contacting police etc) then you hand over the info to paper and radio.
One of two things will happen. The bad guys move on because of media coverage or the police offer up extra support to catch them...media.
A number of years ago a company I worked for found out a person was doing something illegal. Smaller center with RCMP. This guy served on boards, played hockey and did fund raising with the RCMP. We had a tough time getting charges pressed. It's not that the RC's were dishonest; they are human and had a tough time believing this really good member of society would do this dishonest deed. In the end the offices that were struggling with this issue were kind enough to step back from the investigation and everything was fine.

Strength in numbers.

SLEDBUNNYRACING

Bad Bunny
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.sledbunnyracing.com
McBride RCMP

I just spoke to the McBride RCMP:
Box 497
McBride,
BC, V0J 2E0
250-569-2255
They tell me that there has only been 1 reported theft of a rig in McBride's district this year. That truck was recovered with the two sleds. They wouldn't tell me if anyone was caught
They are aware that Prince George seems to be a destination...all they would tell me.
The RCMP recomends accomidations where they have night security, removing relays, adding alarms and recognizing that Fords are the truck of choice.

I will check with Valmont later and post those results

SLEDBUNNYRACING

Bad Bunny
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.sledbunnyracing.com
Valemont RCMP

I Just Spoke With The Valemont RCMP:
1435-5th Ave.
Valemount,
BC, V0E 2Z0
250-566-4466
They have had 3 rigs go missing. 1 truck recovered and one trailer recovered an no sleds recovered.
No sleds have been stolen without a truck attached. All the trucks are Fords.
They do not recomend bringing a Ford without a well thought out security system.
Other things they recomend:
1. Have serial numbers of everything that you would want returned.
2. Have good descriptions of the vehicles, trailers, sleds and identifying marks etc.
2. Have photos of all items.
In the event that your "stuff" is stolen they will want this right away, so keep it at the hotel to hand over if required.
The RCMP is very aware of the problem and has leads, therefore they will not release any information...and I don't blame them. They will not comment on Prince George. They will not comment on it being a local citizen.
I was left with the impression that they are closer than we think.

That being said, I'm going to give it a week and call again and try to get more info and try to build a relationship with the two detachments.
Lets leave the e-mail idea alone for a little bit longer.:)

GRD

Reaction score
Good stuff Curtis!

Attachments

• 2013-12-13 13.21.24.jpg
    2013-12-13 13.21.24.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 44

Powder Puff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.sledrevelstoke.com
Have your local snowmobile clubs, grooming societies and business`s that are involved with snowmobiling tourism also call and write. There is a sled theft prevention program that was put together by the Revy RCMP, ICBC and the Snowmobile Revelstoke Society.

Top Bottom