Another life taken from and avalanche in Sicamous

cinderella699

Reaction score
There was another sledder from Enderby that passed away yesterday in an avy up on owl head in Sicamous. He was buried for about 3 to 3 1/2hrs. The Young 24 year old who did not make it was unfortunitly not wearing a beacon so it took some time probing. There were two groups of people probing and only those whom were wearing beacons in case of another slide. My thoughts and prayers go out to the family and friends of the fallen sledder.

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
there was another sledder from enderby that passed away yesterday in an avy up on owl head in sicamous. He was buried for about 3 to 3 1/2hrs. The young 24 year old who did not make it was unfortunitly not wearing a beacon so it took some time probing. There were two groups of people probing and only those whom were wearing beacons in case of another slide. My thoughts and prayers go out to the family and friends of the fallen sledder.

r.i.p........... Very sad:(

sledrocs

Reaction score
ya its very sad u have to have respect for the mtns times like this 500 bucks might save ur life i dont ride with anyone that doesnt have one , to close to home my wife new him preety good matt sims was the name for those fellow riders safty safty safty if u are in a boal park somewhere u can just pin it out with out haveing to look and scrambel for an exit prepare before u stop look around can never be to cautious

macronut

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sad sad sad.... Buy your gear peeps, learn how to use it before you go out, make sure other sledders in your group have gear and know how to use it... DONT GO OUT IN THESE CONDITIONS....:nono: THIS IS GETTING RIDICULOUS GUYS/GALS

badss

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Unreal! My kid just got back from the Mountians....glad to have him back...alive...I didn't really want him to go in the first place as he was going with a group I didn't know but knew form conversations that they were a little haywire....There are no second chances usually...too bad about the rider from Enderby....

theslam19_98

Reaction score
Sad sad sad.... Buy your gear peeps, learn how to use it before you go out, make sure other sledders in your group have gear and know how to use it... DONT GO OUT IN THESE CONDITIONS....:nono: THIS IS GETTING RIDICULOUS GUYS/GALS

well said this is so true DONT GO OUT IN THESE CONDITIONS....:nono: THIS IS GETTING RIDICULOUS GUYS/GALS lets stay on the sunny side it is more fun up here

Haggis

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It is scary when the areas you figure are not likely to slide do - Sicamous was always on my 'safer places to ride' list! I know that all slopes can slide given the right condition but please do not take risks! Very scary year.

barefooter

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Talked to St. Onge today. That slide happened in a place that he has seen let go all the time. Basically - a combination of rider error (they didn't know the place and were not practicing "safe sledding") and no avy equipment. How bad can you get.

I too have always considered Sicamous/Enderby/Salmon Arm to be a pretty safe area - it is the only place that I will take my daughter.

All of a sudden I am not feeling too sory for myself that my back has kept on the sidelines this season. Lets hope that conditions firm up soon.

Haggis

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Talked to St. Onge today. That slide happened in a place that he has seen let go all the time. Basically - a combination of rider error (they didn't know the place and were not practicing "safe sledding") and no avy equipment. How bad can you get.

I too have always considered Sicamous/Enderby/Salmon Arm to be a pretty safe area - it is the only place that I will take my daughter.

All of a sudden I am not feeling too sory for myself that my back has kept on the sidelines this season. Lets hope that conditions firm up soon.

You picked a good year for recovery - that is for sure!

Top Bottom