Another lesson on the importance of diamond drive maintenance..

crossfire879

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
In the process of swapping gears and bearings, I discovered the bearing on the end of the transfer gear had come apart and luckily the seal kept the peices inside. Its hard to see but the metal peice is part of the row of ball bearings and the plastic thing is the seal of the bearing. This could have turned bad, luckily I caught it in time.

Attachments

• bearing.jpg
    bearing.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 515

snowdingo

Reaction score
Good catch. That could've led to some real problems. How many miles on the DD?

SUPERDUTY

Reaction score
tear it apart and look inside I bet you will be surprised

scrfce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just finished pulling mine apart yesterday and my inner bearing was demolished, should have taken a pic. Thats two bearings in two years. Got the upgraded wider 3203 in there now, hope thatll make some difference in it holding up

polaris700rmk

Reaction score
hey just wondering what year of your sleds are... i know for the 09 they did some upgrades on the diamond drives but im not sure if they did anything to the bearings... got me wondering if i should be tearing mine apart and checking or not

dabensmiller

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had the same issue with my 2011. Thankfully i caught it before it blew up in the toolies. I was told by one mechanic that if the bearings arent pressed on properly it causes alot of side load causing them to come apart. Make sure you check em out if you havent already!!

swabby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yup im goona pull my dd and check it i guess its an 09 anfd i have about 3600miles on it 700 @8lbs boost and no issues so far but from what i see here its time for sure .

Kermit

Reaction score
My buddy just bought '10 M8 with only 500km, advised to pull the DD to check this bearing and it was toast, doubt it would have made it through his first ride, saved a lot of time and money.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1320870997.912663.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1320870997.912663.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 119

Canuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just finished pulling mine apart yesterday and my inner bearing was demolished, should have taken a pic. Thats two bearings in two years. Got the upgraded wider 3203 in there now, hope thatll make some difference in it holding up

Does the 3203 press on (after removing spacer) without any machining?

scrfce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yup, goes on real easy. But make sure u have the wide spacer cause if its the thin one there wont be enuf room for the 3203. I was told if u have the thin spacer just take it out and stick with the narrower bearing

Stg2Suby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Does the 3203 press on (after removing spacer) without any machining?

My 3203 bearing was 0.016" wider than the original 2009 M8 single row bearing + spacer. I was lazy and chose not to have anything machined; the DD seemed to install OK without any binding or stress when I tightened it up. That said I might pull the shaft and machine the shoulder just for peace of mind this year. I've heard of people taking 1.5mm (0.060") off; if my 3203 was this much wider than stock setup I would have machined something for sure.

Top Bottom