15 tons of fake/counterfeit bearings destroyed

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
And you thought handbags and sunglasses were the only knockoffs you might find in your neighbor’s house.
Turns out, ball bearings are also quite popular. So popular, in fact, that manufacturer SKF recently destroyed 1 million euros (about CAD$1.4 million) worth of bearing that were deemed to be fake.
The company had been entrenched in a legal battle for about eight years against a dealer of counterfeit bearings and other goods in Greece. Fifteen tons of fake bearing were seized in a raid of a company “with whom SKF had no business relationship during these years,” the company said.
The fake bearings were destroyed in a metal recycling facility on Greece.
The company selling the fake parts passed them off as the real thing, SKF said. “Instead of getting the premium quality product they thought they were purchasing, the customers ended up with products of unpredictable quality and performance.”
“We will continue to fight the problem of counterfeit products and importers in Greece,” said Rania Patsiopoulos, managing director of SKF Hellas in Greece. “This is vital for us in order to protect our customers and their business as well as the reputation of the SKF brand.”
Counterfeit claims have picked up recently. Hyundai in the U.S. recently launched an ad campaign to highlight the dangers of choosing counterfeit parts. In January, Australia’s Federal Chamber of Automotive Industries said over half a million counterfeit car parts were found in the raid of a warehouse in Al Ain, the second largest city in Abu Dhabi.
There, 21 truckloads of parts were discovered, bearing the logos of 15 carmakers with a value of over AUD$5.4 million (roughly the same value Canadian). The FCAI said these would be destroyed.
“Through our investigations over the last 25 years, we have increasingly seen spare parts for the major car brands being imported into Australia from Dubai, Abu Dhabi and other parts of the UAE,” said Craig Douglas, director of Nationwide Research Group in Australia. “Our investigations have revealed that some of these parts are fake. This recent seizure of fake parts suggests the problem is on the rise and Australian consumers should be vigilant.”
Customers with the fake good will be the ones hurt most, and technicians who install the parts will also suffer, SKF said. The company shared a story of an anonymous customer who bought bearing from an unauthorized supplier. “Their failure was a fact after only a few months, while the expected service life was several years. We faced costly downtime and broken promises to our customers. All this could have been avoided, by more awareness and caution in our sourcing.”
Like those fake handbags, it’s hard to tell the difference between what’s real and what’s not just by looking at them.
“Counterfeiters are more sophisticated than ever,” said Tony Weber, chief executive of Australia’s FCAI. “These inferior copies are so close in appearance to the originals that even professionals can have difficulty telling them apart until they test their actual performance.”

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Crosby also announced there have been counterfeit shackles made.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

firstdoo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Crosby also announced there have been counterfeit shackles made.

Those counterfeit Crosby shackles have been around for quite a while. If I'm not mistaken the real ones are labeled "Crosby" and the fakes are labeled "CROSBY" (all caps). I'm sure there's fakes out there that look like the real thing though.

Cdnfireman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Scary. The Chinese are counterfeiting just about everything, from shoes to airplane parts. Governments all over the world are aware of it, yet do nothing despite the complaints of legit businesses. Nobody wants to do anything for fear of offending the Chinese and losing out on trade with them.
Hopefully the trump administration in standing up for American business will make China face consequences for their propensity to counterfeit goods and steal intellectual property.

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Next thing ya know they will be building Polaris OHV's......

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
While I hear you , and the industrial espionage is a massive problem....
In some ways we bring it on our selves .
We all want to buy in at "Wallmart prices ".
And yet want to get paid in "made in America" $$$...lol

I think they have trump
In a tough situation BUT I do admire his desire to call them out on it ..
Most countries are scared to death to argue or mention China !
It's tough to stop in a global economy , as they hack & reverse engineer every dam thing !
The only answer is a tariff , which would drive most items up in price to a level most North Americans simply can't or won't pay ...!

It's a tough scenario .

Last edited:

kanedog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Kanedog 2015-2019, thanks for the good times S&M!
Now I know why I get Major attitude from my bearing supplier when I specify Nsk Japan bearings. They treat me like I am azzhole and then give me the old "you can order nsk but they will be 12weeks away, but the nachi are in Stock. " No thanks. It's funny cuz i always say "no problem, I'll wait. It's Cuz they were buying knockoffs and they make way more on the knockoffs.

Last edited:

JMCX

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I suspect sometimes it's the same factory making the genuine and fake. They make a production run for the name-brand guys and then the night-shift comes in and makes what ever the next who's paying wants. Maybe QC isn't as important to the second guy.

They have all our technology and can build things as good as you are willing to pay for. But you better have things spelled out.

We are too addicted to our $5 toasters to do anything about China.

eclipse1966

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
not that I am in favour of being inundated with Chinese crap you really cant blame them for producing a product (s) that someone is willing to buy. If Walmart and Dollar Stores continue to exist or a counterfeit industry they will continue to produce. Years ago I was in the UK and went into a warehouse which contained thousands of cases of counterfeit Colgate toothbrushes made in S.Africa. They could not sell them to major retailers but smaller ones had no problem taking them in at a discounted price. If there was no market then no further need for counterfeit. Same goes for thefts, if know one is willing to buy "hot" items then no need for it.

Top Bottom