another deck thread

Cameo

Reaction score
So I have a little problem.
I have an older SW 1-ton, long box 4x4 crew cab with an 80 gallon propane tank in the front of the box, and a bit of a lift, and I pull a travel trailer, and I want to haul 2 quads. I am not buying a new trailer, so I need a deck.
The first choice was the Diamond back, but with the tank sticking up 3 inches...plan B. I would like to build a deck that is 8 feet long, and 6 to 6-1/2ft wide. that way it won't over hang, and it won't be a pain in the butt in a parking lot.
I have a selection of utility trailers, car trailer, and another truck, so I am planning to mount the deck, and leave it, so weight isnt a big issue either.

Now the problem is the ramps. I am not a sledder, so I only need a set for a quad, but the truck is a little high, and I will need telescoping, or folding ramps (5ft of box room due to tank) Does anyone have a set for sale or copy? The best price I can get from a store is around $900 for a set...too much for me.
I plan to side load the quads, and have the headache rack work as a light bar, window guard, and boat rack. any help would be appreciated.

I have had a set of ramps break once just loading into the back of a utility trailer, so I dont want to do that again (I didnt build those)

grizzley1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i know a guy that has a steel deck for sale i do belive with a ramp for 600bucks

Cameo

Reaction score
I was talking to a guy who had one for sale, but he never got back to me. send me his contact info, and I will talk to him. anything would help.
thanks

pattergrub

Reaction score
I got a sled deck for sale. 780 490 5434 the add is on kijiji in edmonton. the deck itself is homemmade with a 12 foot slide out ramp. thanks darcy

Sasquatch007

Reaction score
I built this deck this winter. I went wide and short cause I don't want to side load and I wanted access to my toolbox. A friend built the ramps. They fold in half and I slip them under the quads. The deck attaches to my gooseneck hitch.

Attachments

• quad rack 001.jpg
    quad rack 001.jpg
    170.8 KB · Views: 53
  • new ramps 001.jpg
    new ramps 001.jpg
    159.2 KB · Views: 50
  • new ramps 002.jpg
    new ramps 002.jpg
    156.2 KB · Views: 55
  • quad rack 004.jpg
    quad rack 004.jpg
    144.7 KB · Views: 56

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
If you need ideas go see marathon decks, and see michelle(chelle on this site). Their decks are the best in the industry, and they have many years experience behind them....

funtimes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They are good. But the only thing about them is you have to bolt them through your box. So you need two people to load and unload them. That is my only problem with the Marathon decks. Or am I wrong? can they be mounted like the STF's ? That is the only thing holding me back from buying one. So I am leaning towards the STF for that reason.

Last edited:

SLEDBUNNYRACING

Bad Bunny
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.sledbunnyracing.com
Nice looking deck Sasquatch...built to meet your needs.
I built this deck this winter. I went wide and short cause I don't want to side load and I wanted access to my toolbox. A friend built the ramps. They fold in half and I slip them under the quads. The deck attaches to my gooseneck hitch.

mb1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They are good. But the only thing about them is you have to bolt them through your box. So you need two people to load and unload them. That is my only problem with the Marathon decks. Or am I wrong? can they be mounted like the STF's ? That is the only thing holding me back from buying one. So I am leaning towards the STF for that reason.

Bolting through the box is the only safe way to mount a deck. The tie downs can fail, and can also tweak your box up at the front, ask Smurff1000.

I bolted my deck down by myself, just line it up, drop in the bolts, put a wrench on the bolt from the top so it will back up against the leg when you start turning it, and spin on the nut from underneath. This is on a custom deck though, are the Marathons different?

Wise Mechanical

Reaction score
I Run a STF Sled deck, I have it on my 99 GMC shortbox I originally bought it for sleds but seen to use it more for quadding. With the sides out its 8x8 and with them in its only 8x6 and if you load the quads sideways they fit perfect with the sides in, and then you have no problem with clearance when towing a trailer. the ramp isn't as good as the marathons but it is ten or twelve ft long. Any new deck you find I think you might run into issues with the tank at the front, best thing would be building to suit.

RMK Junky

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
Have it custom built. Cost more but worth it in the end. Also watch any over hang and your turning radius when hooked up to your trailer. I have a Marathon and load my quads from the side. I would have to extend my hitch to pull my holiday trailer with the deck slid out so not to punch a hole in the front of my trailer. I had a close call with this :rolleyes:

KDX MIKE

Reaction score
Sasquatch 007 did you buy your ramps or have them made ??? I just bought an old sled deck for 50 bucks but i deed a set of ramps . As you can imagine im not comfotable with the angle of my 6 footers.

Cameo

Reaction score
Sasquatch, I have no trouble building the sled, and I want to make it 8 ft long, and 6 to 7 feet wide. with the long box truck, i will have no trouble side loading. the trouble is the ramps. I want them strong and safe, and able to attache them to the side of the deck without disconnecting the trailer. I don't mind bolting to the floor either. A neighbor has one that attaches to his headache rack, that is interesting. but any how, could you take some more detailed pics of those ramps? that are the final dimensions when they are collapsed? l x w x h??

chelle

Marathon Truck Decks
Reaction score

Well there's a reason that we bolt our decks through the box as you can see in the picture below. This guy ( a surveyor) hit a depresion that he didn't see and the factory tiedowns that the turnbuckles were attached to let go. We've also heard of the same thing happening on frost heaves.

BAD_SLED_DECKa.jpg

We also make 20" wide ramps for quads that are telescoping just like our sled ramps. Give us a call and we'll see if we can help.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
lol us surveyors sure are hard on chit

but all my crews decks are not bolted down and havent failed yet!!

lets hope it stays that way lol

if it does its time to switch to marathon

Top Bottom