another "can" thread...

RETODD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.valemountvacationrental.com
Thanks for the thoughts Mav.

I called Neil at NPP and he told me what I was afraid of. if you get one of these Mountain cans you will blow your engine if you bring it back to sea level without running some race fuel. Just as a flat can loses HP at altitude, an altitude can will run much to lean at low elevation.

I'm going to hedge my bets and stick with reliability until such time that I have enough money to buy 2 cans :)

I've got an MBRP can for sale, installed new on an 2007 Summit 800, 2000km, great shape, sounds awesome...PM me if you are interested.

xxx

Reaction score
I really should search the site for my answer - but why would people be concerned that the can would cause potential loss in horsepower? i thought the pipe scavanged fuel and the can simply muffled sound? Someone educate me on this one.

does the can not provide some back pressureso the pipe will scavange

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
does the can not provide some back pressureso the pipe will scavange

Ding, ding, ding........yes. We experimented with a White Knuckle Performance can on my ZR 800. It had pretty good flow through. When you let off the throttle the engine would run on longer than with the stock can. Not enough BP. To run it I would need to make sure that when I cracked the throttle open mid rpms' that there was enough power to pull through that run on of rpm's. With the stock can the engine would fall back fast and be on the torque curve again. It's a long story, but back pressure can be your sleds friend, and aftermarket cans can reduce that BP.

rwjk0

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Run the MBRP put the extra money into a good quality clutch kit and keep on rock'n. I run a MBRP in the flats and a HPS in the hills. HPS has a little more back pressure and is quiter. The MBRP's packing burnt out at about 2400km and it gets a little anoying when you are riding for a few days back to back.

summitx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just started running an MBRP, according to doo it's the only one they tested that does not lose HP... take it for what it's worth though. I like the MBRP so far, quiet until I crack it open. I ran a specialty can on my 02 800 x package, sounds good bur after a hard day riding, my ears would be ringing. defintiely felt my XP ran better in the mtns with the MBRP than with the stock muffler last year. either can is a good bet, just preference

Top Bottom