another "can" thread...

Canuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ok, i bought an MBRP can and plan on riding in the mountains 80% of the time. I am thinking about a specialty X can though.

My question; is the consensus that the Specialty can will be a better performer in the mtns? what about the flats? no difference? or will the mbrp shine?

Second question is sound, what does the specialty can sound like, relative to the MBRP? Anyone try these both?

I hear the thing is a good can but they are a little more than I want to spend at the moment.

dooryder

XP V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
a can will not add horse power at all, may sound like it but it wont, just changes the sound and lightens the sled

Canuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yeah.. so i have heard. Maybe I should re-phrase..

Will the specialty X can lose less HP in the MTNS than the MBRP? I hear the MBRP loses at altitude.
How does this difference change one your get below 1000'?

sf18x

Reaction score
my guess is it would be such a small defferance between the two that you wouldn't notice it. when i look for a can i just try to find out what sounds the best. thats about the best improvement your gonna make. other than weight.

Haggis

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I really should search the site for my answer - but why would people be concerned that the can would cause potential loss in horsepower? i thought the pipe scavanged fuel and the can simply muffled sound? Someone educate me on this one.

rmksledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i have had no problems with my MBRP after two years of riding tehe glass burt out of it and now it is really loud to the ppl beside you i hardly hear it

Canuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
First, thanks rmksledder, your experience is good to hear. I already have an mbrp and considering one of these other cans will cost me an extra $100 I will probably just stick with it. It might not be the "best" but as long as it's not "bad".

I really should search the site for my answer - but why would people be concerned that the can would cause potential loss in horsepower? i thought the pipe scavanged fuel and the can simply muffled sound? Someone educate me on this one.

I've read all a can before asking my original question and it seems that there is agreement that many cans that are dyno's in the flats (MBRP.. ect) result in a loss of HP at altitude. I really cannot tell you why but Both Al (sled shed)and Ken (specialty sleds) have told me this as well. Like most people, I'm looking to lose some weight off the sled and a little different sound would be nice... although i don't need any further hearing loss.

My main concern was if I buy an "altitude" can, i.e. "the thing" or "specialty X" or "HSP", how will they affect my sleds reliability when riding in Saskatchewan?

Think if it this way, if an MBRP dyno'd in the flats will lose HP (maybe negligable) at altitude, what happens when a Mtn can is taken to the flats? I just want to make sure I wont run lean or something.

Maverick800XRS

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
MBRP claims a 2 HP gain over stock, their are dyno charts around showing different HP curves with different cans, some cans actually lose HP. Mr R's likes to show that chart to everyone looking to purchase a can and swears by it that the MBRP should be the can of choice.

Im my experience with the MBRP i didn't like it at all... The sound was too quite for my liking, i could be right beside someone while they are on the muffler side trying to pass and reving my sled and they wouldn't even know i was their, also if your playing around in the hills with a group of people and you go over a hill they have no clue where you are or if your stuck.

I bought myself a JAWS race can (made in Canada!) and the first time i cracked the throttle i had a grin ear to ear the entire day. This thing ROCKS !!! i get compliments from people all the time on how it sounds climbing when it's wound out and the bark you get from letting off and getting back on it will be enough to make anyone smile. The jaws race can doesn't gain or lose any HP over stock. People can hear me comming behind them on the trail, espically if i get on it or hit a bump and the skis come up a bit. This can is so unrestrictive when i was starting the sled for the first time this season and spinning the track, it blew a big hole out of the gravel from where it was sitting right to the dirt, it literally sent gravel flying when it hit the flipper.

Also i thought to myself that my sled pulled harder in the hills with the jaws, it just felt like it had alot more go. It suprised me a few times on how well it pulled compared to when the MBRP was on it (it could just be me *shrug*). So you have to think, MBRP claims 2 HP gain but what does that do to the torque curve ? the only graphs i have seen have been HP.

My recommendation is, if you like sound and a barky sled then stay away from the MBRP, i would recommend JAWS to anyone. The ceramic coating also produces pretty much 0 heat.

You can hear what my XRS sounded like with the MBRP at my youtube profile, pick any vid (climbing or deep pow fun would be best to hear), mind you the only time that can is somewhat loud is when it's stareing you in the face. YouTube - Maverick800XRS's Channel is the link to my page. Also remember it's quieter when your riding the sled instead of watching it.

The new 08 163 we just bought has a Dynoport can on it, i haven't had enough time to ride this sled with this can yet since i have only had the last weekend to try. Initial reaction is that it is somewhat quiet but not as much as the MBRP. It produces a nice sound while in a wide open pull. It seems to be a decent can from what i have seen thus far but i still love my JAWS

Hope this helps !

Canuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the thoughts Mav.

I called Neil at NPP and he told me what I was afraid of. if you get one of these Mountain cans you will blow your engine if you bring it back to sea level without running some race fuel. Just as a flat can loses HP at altitude, an altitude can will run much to lean at low elevation.

I'm going to hedge my bets and stick with reliability until such time that I have enough money to buy 2 cans :)

poppajon

Reaction score
Cheers to the JAWS can! I just put one on my M7, damn!!!! I previously had an MBRP and found the JAWS to be lighter and sound amazing. Nice tone at mid throtle and an absolute animal at WOT. The biggest difference is a much louder slound at idle... I know sound is childish, but there is a time and place......cheers all, and Happy New Year!!

j335

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
:twocents:

I called Neil at NPP and he told me what I was afraid of. if you get one of these Mountain cans you will blow your engine if you bring it back to sea level without running some race fuel. Just as a flat can loses HP at altitude, an altitude can will run much to lean at low elevation.

I'm going to hedge my bets and stick with reliability until such time that I have enough money to buy 2 cans :)

I really wouldn't believe them all that much, since there trying to sell there own cans.... Just leave your MBRP can in, it's not gonna lose/gain any power, save your money and put it elsewhere. Use your MBRP can in the mountains and on the flats, they really don't make a difference, this has been discussed and tested many times.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

??? Never heard of a can causing a motor to blow (mountain or flatlander). Typically cans do not add power, but they don't lose a lot and they remove weight from the sled which is important. The backpressure in the pipe will have a greater effect on motor performance more than a can IMO. Had an MBRP and ran it from 2000 to 9500 ft and never had a problem with it. Never ran race fuel when dropping down in elevation either. A can does not lose HP at elevation, your motor loses HP, not the can. If you want to get really technical about it, you should be carrying pipe chokes to reduce pipe diameters to compensate at altitude since the les HP you make at alt, the less flow you have in your exhaust and the more restriction you need (in theory). So unless you are going to those lengths, I wouldn't worry about it.

Sound means nothing. Just because a can is loud does not mean it makes HP, all it does is annoy riders around you. The best can is a quiet one. Too many riders stick a can on, make their sled really loud and then have an "audible" performance increase, meaning they think they're faster because they sound louder.....2 HP on a 140 HP motor amounts to 1.4 % increase. Not even noticeable in a seat of the pants situation. Any performance advantage noticed would more than likely be the improved power to weight ratio from the weight loss of the muffler.

I run my high altitude (over 3000 ft) Jaws pipes at less than 3000 ft and have never blown a motor either so I don't know where the mountain can vs flatlander can comes in. Most cans do not even recommend a jetting change from the manufacturer.

Maverick800XRS

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I posted my reply before i knew we were getting technical, im with modman on that..

But i don't agree with the too loud statement... sleds have been getting quieter and quieter over the years, the same can on an old sled is 3 times as loud as on a sled now days. Friend of mine had an 05 800 rev with the same mbrp i had on my 07 800 rev, he was ATLEAST twice as loud as i was. Back in the day with my 2000 700 HMK that thing was nasty with a quiet can, heard one last year, i hada plug my ears from 20 feet away and he was only taken it off the trailer. Then the 670's holy hell.... ear plugs with just a jaws can.

Mine is no where near being too loud compared to some iv heard. If you have to plug yer ears when someone rides by .... it's too loud.

Ancient Sledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I bought my sled used from a dealer. It came with a can with no sticker and the stock muffler. I can feel no difference at all with either one on the sled. I run the can in the Rockies. For the odd time I ride the sled around the house I put the stock suitcase back on, so I don't tick the nieghbours off.

Canuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Never heard of a can causing a motor to blow (mountain or flatlander). Typically cans do not add power, but they don't lose a lot and they remove weight from the sled which is important. The backpressure in the pipe will have a greater effect on motor performance more than a can IMO. Had an MBRP and ran it from 2000 to 9500 ft and never had a problem with it. Never ran race fuel when dropping down in elevation either. A can does not lose HP at elevation, your motor loses HP, not the can. If you want to get really technical about it, you should be carrying pipe chokes to reduce pipe diameters to compensate at altitude since the les HP you make at alt, the less flow you have in your exhaust and the more restriction you need (in theory). So unless you are going to those lengths, I wouldn't worry about it..

Just brainstorming here as I am NOT an expert in how 2-strokes or cans work but, If you follow ModMan's logic it would seem plausible that custom can builders (Neil, Al,...) can make highly restrictive cans to compensate for the loss of air flow resulting from altitude. It's my understanding that that is exactly what they do. Now, if you take that same can and go down to sea level they would be way to restrictive, not letting the sled breath in the dense air. would that result in excessive engne heat? possibly leading to a burn down?

We aren't talking about MBRP, or your off the shelf cans. These are custom altitude cans.

At any rate, I put the MBRP on to be safe. I don't care about + or - 2 hp , just want to lose some pounds and get a different sound. I also coulldn't handl the really loud cans either...makes the ears hurt.

Love the discssion... Learning every day.

dezmitchell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i love my mbrp ....no power loss what so ever and its got a nice tone to it not a ear shattering scream .....is the can louder over stock ? YES ....is mbrp loud to the point where there irritating like jaws ? NO

Maverick800XRS

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i love my mbrp ....no power loss what so ever and its got a nice tone to it not a ear shattering scream .....is the can louder over stock ? YES ....is mbrp loud to the point where there irritating like jaws ? NO

I think you thinking about jaws pipes, cans arn't loud at all, i can be digging out my sled and have my head right by the exhaust and theres nothing loud about it... Jaws got a bad name for being too loud on older sleds prior to 2004 when you needed ear plugs to ride them. Ill agree they were way to loud then. But really mine only sounds like a 2005 rev with an MBRP can on it, no different, but just a little more bark and tone :d

I am curious to see what the Crankshop twin pipes sounds like, there probably kinda nasty.

renegade x

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Stick with your MBRP I had a specialty can and it was louder than most twin pipes I have ever run.Cans don't effect horspower.:realmad:

XP CRAZY

Reaction score
MBRP cans are the only cans on the market that do not restrict. Restriction down here will help with premature engine failure.

Top Bottom