another 07 blows up

660canuck

Reaction score
Well I picked up a 2007 800r about a month ago. The guy I bought it from said that the motor had been rebuilt to deal with the 07 issues. Took it out today and went 4km and the motor seized, coolant pissing everywhere. Haven't torn the engine down to see the extent of the damage, but I think I am going to install a new shortblock. Will the 08 shortblock fit? Who has the best prices?

Slamnek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The fix for the 07's was to put an 08 short block in. That really sucks.

Showtime

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That sucks big time.....Martins treated me well with my new short block, i got full core but mine was still a running engine but very tired and worn out.

boots

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Took mine too Martin never again they didnt do what I asked them too do. They charged way too much. You are better too do it yourself unless you want warranty. But phone around for prices.

Showtime

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Took mine too Martin never again they didnt do what I asked them too do. They charged way too much. You are better too do it yourself unless you want warranty. But phone around for prices.

I'm doing mine myself, all they did was supply me with the new short block so my dealings were short & sweet, but they did give me the wrong exhaust gaskets:mad:

GYMBRAT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well I picked up a 2007 800r about a month ago. The guy I bought it from said that the motor had been rebuilt to deal with the 07 issues. Took it out today and went 4km and the motor seized, coolant pissing everywhere. Haven't torn the engine down to see the extent of the damage, but I think I am going to install a new shortblock. Will the 08 shortblock fit? Who has the best prices?

damn dood sorry to hear this!! brutal!

GB

660canuck

Reaction score
Yep, not real happy about it, a seized motor 10 min into my first ride was not what I was expecting when I bought this sled. The guy I bought it from said it had been rebuilt on warranty to deal with the "07 issues". I had BRP run the vin and no such work was done. Didn't know when I bought it that you could look that stuff up. Talked to Martins yesterday, sound like they have the best price locally for an 08 shortblock. Now I have to get to work taking the old motor out. Anyone have a clutch, and flywheel puller I can borrow?

cedric

Reaction score
Similar thing happened to me when I bought my old sled a few years ago. First ride on my first sled, got 6kms up the mountain and pfft. Ended up replacing the crank and the pistons.

I called the seller and he basically told me to piss off. a-hole.

I bought a rebuilt crank and the pistons from CV Tech, did the work myself. Cost about $800 in the end. Could have been worse.

Be careful when shipping the old crank back, as the guy at Purolator told me it could go air for the same price - not so. I lost $75 of my core exchange refund because of this.

Showtime

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yep, not real happy about it, a seized motor 10 min into my first ride was not what I was expecting when I bought this sled. The guy I bought it from said it had been rebuilt on warranty to deal with the "07 issues". I had BRP run the vin and no such work was done. Didn't know when I bought it that you could look that stuff up. Talked to Martins yesterday, sound like they have the best price locally for an 08 shortblock. Now I have to get to work taking the old motor out. Anyone have a clutch, and flywheel puller I can borrow?

Too bad you weren't a little closer, i would've helped you with the R&R. I just put mine in last week-end and gonna fire it up this week-end and do alittle breakin around the field.

gdyson

Reaction score
Hi,
I just smashed up my 07 summit x, and wondering if you'd be interested in selling your chassie, and if you are how much.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
go pick up a puller from princess auto. it will take the flywheel off

puller.jpg

660canuck

Reaction score
Whats a short block 800 worth? Anyone find a deal somewhere?
I paid $3075 plus tax, less $700 for the core charge when I take in the old one. Then another $150 for gaskets.

Top Bottom